Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

61 - 80 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Okay, Trifecta tune loaded up report...WHOA!!
Here's my take and experience with this product/service. Sorry, it's long - so the readers-digest version is that it's well worth the $$ and transforms the truck. You can skip the story if you don't feel like reading my rambling about it. :)

Got my cable yesterday for the tuning program but for some reason they don't think they should send media, either a flash-drive or a DVD/CD, so you have to login to their site and download the program and the tune file. I run a network so this isn't a big deal, but wifey's laptop is Win10 which just adds a little confusion to the mix, but it did work fine. You have to install the program and open the tune file with something portable enough to connect the cable from a USB port to the OBDII receptacle under the dash of the truck. I was wondering what people did if they didn't have a laptop. The Hypertune tuner I had for my Duramax was a three-stage select-able and was a stand alone unit that you connect to the port to tune. It worked very well. Anyway, the Trifecta process is do-able, but I'm not sure would fit everyone's needs.

The only other ECU re-programs I've worked with are for motorcycles, the D-max with hypertune as mentioned, and for my 8.1L GM powered motorhome. For the RV I had to remove the ECU and send it in for programming, or they'll exchange one for you for a fee. This was about ten years ago and that one was $600, and the Alison transmission controller was a separate unit so you got only the engine tune. It did up power output significantly however. I was able to get the hypertune thingy used from another forum member back in the day for about $150 and had no problem selling it again after I sold the truck. And it made a huge difference in the power output of the motor - mine was a LBZ from 2004. So in comparison the Trifecta seems like a relative bargain....if it really does work. And it does!!

The tune takes quite a long time to upload to the truck. I didn't time it, but I'd say about 20 to 25 minutes. The door dinging was just too much so I closed the driver door and monitored it from the passenger side. It was 90 yesterday afternoon when I was doing it so I wasn't exactly going to sit inside with the door closed and the motor and AC shut down. In any case, it did its thing without a hitch, and the program has a progress bar and percentage gauge so easy to tell where it was in the process. There is an option for an 'invisible' or covert mode and I didn't read all the detail about it, but it sounded like a good idea so I selected it. I guess it makes the tune transparent to the factory or dealer scan or some such. I'd like to know more about this.

Once it was done I disconnected everything, shut everything down, jumped in and started the truck, everything as normal. As soon as I backed out of the driveway I could tell the throttle response had changed, it literally jumped! Off idle the thing just takes off now, so you have to re-learn your foot on the gas pedal. I'm not sure how well this would work for rock-crawling offroad in low range. I guess you would get used to it.

In any case, the transformation is nothing short of spectacular. The lugging, balky shifting and all the little niggles with the way the truck drives was gone. And the power is amazing. I didn't think this little 4-banger had that in it. It's very noticeable and quite surprising. I can't wait to try it towing the boat. Now keeping your foot out of it is the challenge, now that you can actually squirt traffic with this thing.

In summary I'm beyond thrilled with it. One of the best mods to the truck so far. It completely transforms the driving. I just put Bilstein shocks on the rear for trailer towing which improved the ride a ton. Together I'm back enthused about driving my little truck - it's actually fun again, and a keeper.

Thank you Trifecta team for a great product, and I heartily recommend it for anyone with this model truck.

·
Registered
961 Posts
An update after a week of driving...

I'm really liking how my truck drives now. However I have discovered just a couple of niggles, perhaps they could be addressed in a future tuning program update. (WOT - are you listening?)

1. From a dead stop the pedal is extremely sensitive. I have to really concentrate and be very gingerly when stepping on the gas or the truck jumps. I gather this is likely from improving throttle response as well as trans TC uptake. I'm not sure GM could sell this to the consumer if it was the stock condition. It's getting better as I drive, I'm likely getting more used to it. It's still quite some different from any other auto-trans car.
2. Right after the jack-rabbit take-off then the motor flattens way out. It's like it jumps then dies. So as you pull away from a stop the tendency is to push harder on the pedal to take up this flat-spot, but then as soon as it shifts to 2nd and gets to about 2200-2400 rpms then it really takes off again. It's like a turbo-whoosh of power. This is where I see the mapping on the dyno-chart too. There's a LOT more torque right there and the truck pulls hard. It's one of those butt-dyno affects that makes you go 'whoo-hoo'. LOL
3. Transmission shifting is SO MUCH improved that it's worth the priced of admission just for that. If you let off on the gas, say for a city traffic pulling away from a light then slowing, it doesn't shift up right away - when you get on the gas again it's still in the right gear. Way improved. Up and down shifts are SO much better.
4. Hiway driving is the same, but passing acceleration is much improved, as is downshifting. Mileage is way up too - at least on the DIC. I really need to hand-calc mpg's, especially for...
5. MPG city - according to my DIC I'm down at least a couple of MPG's. If I'm on it a lot I can get it down in the 13's. Last fill up I put in 89 octane. Motor is smoother than ever. But the hard pulling from stops really guzzles - at least according to the mpg-gauge on the DIC. Frankly, I expect it to drop a bit for the better acceleration. My guess is that if I kept my foot out of it and drove it like it used to drive before the tune, then city mileage would be similar - I used to get about 16-17.
In any case, I really want to do a hand-calc for mileage over at least a couple of tankfuls.

Otherwise I'm thrilled. Fixing the fender rattle and installing the Bilstein rear shocks has so much improved my truck. I liked the new shocks on the rear so well I went ahead and ordered the fronts. They are THAT much better. Well worth the $350 or so for them.

·
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Excellent! Thanks for the great feedback and we are happy to hear you are enjoying your calibration. We do monitor the forums and feedback like this, however, if you'd like to contact us via your TRIFECTA user account with the same feedback, I can pass it along to the team for review :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for the great feedback and we are happy to hear you are enjoying your calibration. We do monitor the forums and feedback like this, however, if you'd like to contact us via your TRIFECTA user account with the same feedback, I can pass it along to the team for review :)
Posted in my 'client area'. Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm really excited to read this. I bought the tune for my truck yesterday and am (im)patiently waiting on it to get here along with my MBRP Exhaust.

I tow a boat as well - and am a bit over the stated limit at 4,090lb wet on trailer but the truck handles it like a boss and really makes me question GM putting the 3,500lb limit on the 2.5. I figured the tune could not hurt, and I have been hankering for a bit more oomph when unloaded.

I have to admit, the throttle response gives me a bit of pause from the perspective of the fact that my truck is a manual, and I'm a bit weary of burning the clutch in tight maneuvers (the boat yard where I keep my boat is a riot, and when I back it up my 4 car long, steep and curved driveway I have to do it at a relative quick speed as I like to have the clutch completely released). I'll make the same comment over on the Trifecta website, but if throttle response were an adjustable parameter that would be awesome.

Is the only interaction with the tune the cruise control switch? For a manual truck, will I still have Tour, Eco and Stock modes? If the switch is binary (on/off), how do I switch among the 3 modes? There is no detail on the website I can find.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Is the only interaction with the tune the cruise control switch? For a manual truck, will I still have Tour, Eco and Stock modes? If the switch is binary (on/off), how do I switch among the 3 modes? There is no detail on the website I can find.
There is only Tour and Eco mode, no stock mode. For your situation, you will always be in Tour mode, since Eco is activated with the cruise button.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have cruise on my truck, so I will be able to interact... it is a fully equipped WT other than the manual trans and no appearance package.

So to get it straight (long day, no coffee) - Cruise control switch ON = Eco Mode and Cruise control switch OFF = Tour mode?

·
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hello. The DSVM feature is not available on the 2.5L trucks just yet. I will talk to the team about removing that from the description and re-enter it later once the feature has been validated and active.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
I have cruise on my truck, so I will be able to interact... it is a fully equipped WT other than the manual trans and no appearance package.

So to get it straight (long day, no coffee) - Cruise control switch ON = Eco Mode and Cruise control switch OFF = Tour mode?
Correct, but apparently this a V6 only feature, according to the above post.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Ya, one tune for the I4. Which is fine, you're only gonna get so much out of the little 4-banger anyway. :)

My take is that for a normally aspirated 2.5L it puts out respectable power and runs very well. We just got a new Mazda CX-5 with the same size motor, also a 6spd automatic trans, NA. They are more similar than different, but the Mazda auto is like butter, and is ALWAYS in the right gear. It's lightyears ahead of the GM lump. Before that we had a Mazda3 GT with the same powertrain and it performs like a BMW in the '3'. It is stupid fast, more than reasonably required for general driving, but fun nonetheless. We just found it too small and too noisy. The new CX-5 is cadillac-quiet. Even better than the Colorado. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ya, one tune for the I4. Which is fine, you're only gonna get so much out of the little 4-banger anyway. :)
My main reasoning for desiring this would be the ability to dial back the responsiveness of the throttle on demand (are you listening, TRIFECTA? :wink2:). I'm very happy with the stock performance of the 2.5 so hoping this is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm really excited to read this. I bought the tune for my truck yesterday and am (im)patiently waiting on it to get here along with my MBRP Exhaust.

I tow a boat as well - and am a bit over the stated limit at 4,090lb wet on trailer but the truck handles it like a boss and really makes me question GM putting the 3,500lb limit on the 2.5. I figured the tune could not hurt, and I have been hankering for a bit more oomph when unloaded.

I have to admit, the throttle response gives me a bit of pause from the perspective of the fact that my truck is a manual, and I'm a bit weary of burning the clutch in tight maneuvers (the boat yard where I keep my boat is a riot, and when I back it up my 4 car long, steep and curved driveway I have to do it at a relative quick speed as I like to have the clutch completely released). I'll make the same comment over on the Trifecta website, but if throttle response were an adjustable parameter that would be awesome.

Boat pics...or id didnt' happen. LOL

Here's mine, Arima 17 SeaChaser. Believe it or not, it fits in the garage!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Side note: My cable is being delivered today... so I'm chomping at the bit to try it - particularly since I'll be dragging the boat to the Potomac tomorrow.

Looking sharp there... I see you have good taste in cars too - lightly modded 2012 C250 sedan in the garage here as well. Those coupes are sharp!

Here's M/V #holdmybeer. 2012 Sea Ray 185 Sport on a 2015 Shorelandr galvanized trailer.

Attachments

Reactions: Browneye

·
Registered
39 Posts
I received my cable today and did the install earlier. It took about 20 minutes using my slow cheap Windows 10 tablet for the install. I have not noticed much throttle change from idle (maybe I'm already used to the jumpiness from it being a manual), but midrange it has zero lag. It's definitely pulling harder by seat of the pants (you can hear the back tires scrubbing and trying to break loose from a roll now as it starts to come into the torque peak), it feels like it is putting down the power smoother, and there is a bit of a change in the engine note from what I can tell. I'm thrilled so far - tomorrow will be the test. I can't wait to add the exhaust on Tuesday and see what I notice from that.

Here are a couple of pics from the OBD Fusion iOS app I use... unfortunately the old style torque gauge did not record peaks, but I never remember seeing it go over 161 ft/lb. It seems to be pretty well dialed in - the HP may be a tad bit high, but the change in recorded numbers shows the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts
Towed boat to the bay and back today and, well, let's just say it is transforming! Lol
I can't believe that little 4-banger can put that kind of power down. Truly amazing.

I spent the morning installing Bilsteins on the front to match the rear - ride is greatly improved.

It's almost like I got a new truck!

Oh, and the hot throttle off idle is ideal for towing - fantastic even.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had about 50 miles of round trip towing yesterday and I have to say I am thrilled. Several areas where I would previously have needed to downshift I did not feel the need to, and overall the truck seems to be much more eager. The torque is very apparent in the midrange in 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
An update after a week of driving...

I'm really liking how my truck drives now. However I have discovered just a couple of niggles, perhaps they could be addressed in a future tuning program update. (WOT - are you listening?)

1. From a dead stop the pedal is extremely sensitive. I have to really concentrate and be very gingerly when stepping on the gas or the truck jumps. I gather this is likely from improving throttle response as well as trans TC uptake. I'm not sure GM could sell this to the consumer if it was the stock condition. It's getting better as I drive, I'm likely getting more used to it. It's still quite some different from any other auto-trans car.
2. Right after the jack-rabbit take-off then the motor flattens way out. It's like it jumps then dies. So as you pull away from a stop the tendency is to push harder on the pedal to take up this flat-spot, but then as soon as it shifts to 2nd and gets to about 2200-2400 rpms then it really takes off again. It's like a turbo-whoosh of power. This is where I see the mapping on the dyno-chart too. There's a LOT more torque right there and the truck pulls hard. It's one of those butt-dyno affects that makes you go 'whoo-hoo'. LOL
3. Transmission shifting is SO MUCH improved that it's worth the priced of admission just for that. If you let off on the gas, say for a city traffic pulling away from a light then slowing, it doesn't shift up right away - when you get on the gas again it's still in the right gear. Way improved. Up and down shifts are SO much better.
4. Hiway driving is the same, but passing acceleration is much improved, as is downshifting. Mileage is way up too - at least on the DIC. I really need to hand-calc mpg's, especially for...
5. MPG city - according to my DIC I'm down at least a couple of MPG's. If I'm on it a lot I can get it down in the 13's. Last fill up I put in 89 octane. Motor is smoother than ever. But the hard pulling from stops really guzzles - at least according to the mpg-gauge on the DIC. Frankly, I expect it to drop a bit for the better acceleration. My guess is that if I kept my foot out of it and drove it like it used to drive before the tune, then city mileage would be similar - I used to get about 16-17.
In any case, I really want to do a hand-calc for mileage over at least a couple of tankfuls.

Otherwise I'm thrilled. Fixing the fender rattle and installing the Bilstein rear shocks has so much improved my truck. I liked the new shocks on the rear so well I went ahead and ordered the fronts. They are THAT much better. Well worth the $350 or so for them.
I must do this ASAP.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow. This keeps getting better and better. I filled up with 91 octane yesterday (could be placebo but is this tune octane sensitive?) and drove a couple of miles. This morning on the way to the train station I needed to get around some fool in a 5 series crawling. The roads are a bit damp - rained overnight but has not for a few hours now. Made a left turn behind him, realized he was going to be a turtle right about when I shifted into 2nd so I jumped around him and stood on it. Before, it would have accelerated with no drama and that would have been that. Today, it put me in the seat more than I think I've felt it so before and as the tach crossed 3,200 RPM or so the rear tires broke loose, traction control came on, and it keep accelerating hard albeit at a somewhat modulated pace. I pushed it to redline - something I rarely do. It's not what I would call fast, but definitely has changed character completely from how it was before and I love it. I don't think I'll be having the "come on Bob, you can do it" conversations with the truck any more... (yes, it's known as Bob around my house). Can't wait for my MBRP exhaust to be delivered today and installed tonight.

Reactions: Browneye

·
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Excellent feedback guys! Glad to see you are all enjoying your trucks a little more now :)

Thanks for sharing with the community!

61 - 80 of 187 Posts