Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been thinking about sourcing some of the projector lens headlights that come as the newer style colorados and zrs and doing my own hid kit, (ddm most likely) as it's pretty easy to do.

An Hid kit in my reflector housing wouldn't be as good as they would in a projector style lens.

But adding close to 5000 lumens with the squadrons is going to be awesome I think for off road. And a lot less work.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I know this isnt the thread to do so, but @Mtn_man, I will be doing the same thing. I already have a spare set of projector lights that I am going to do the retrofit in. If youre still in the market at the time, I will contact you first about the original ones I'll be replacing if you want to do a rebuild yourself.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
I know this isnt the thread to do so, but @Mtn_man, I will be doing the same thing. I already have a spare set of projector lights that I am going to do the retrofit in. If youre still in the market at the time, I will contact you first about the original ones I'll be replacing if you want to do a rebuild yourself.
Thatd be awesome. I dont think I'll retrofit the lenses themselves, the cut off should be pretty good as is so I'd just so an hid bulb/ballast install... what are you plans for yours?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
No, I mean a quick retro.

Easy and better than the OEM projectors. :)
Oooo I'll have to check that out when I get a minute. Have you research the install? Is a bake the lights thing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thatd be awesome. I dont think I'll retrofit the lenses themselves, the cut off should be pretty good as is so I'd just so an hid bulb/ballast install... what are you plans for yours?

I’m going to do the whole retrofit swap and open up the spare I have bought then swap them in and take the current projectors out to sell here. But I’m going to paint the housings and do the clear lenses just to make the chrome go away

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I’m going to do the whole retrofit swap and open up the spare I have bought then swap them in and take the current projectors out to sell here. But I’m going to paint the housings and do the clear lenses just to make the chrome go away
Seems like retrofitsource might be the way to go for me down the road...

Wiring is a little confusing but all in it's only like $300. So maybe in time I will take that route. I still want to look at how it bolts in...

I'm pretty excited for the Baja designs lights though. 4900 lumens should be pretty good for me. But they'll have to stay off on the highway.

My old setup on my forester was 8800 lumens from only a 12" light bar and two driving lights... it was awesome hah. I do miss the powah of the lightage when I drive the truck at night. Which tbh, isn't that often since my commute is short and I use my commuter car, which for turning 20 in May honestly has better headlights than my 17 Colorado.

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Ohh you have reflector housings. I was wondering why you were hesitant. I'd call TRS and ask. They are usually super helpful. I've been using their stuff for over a decade.

Here's the normal install

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Ohh you have reflector housings. I was wondering why you were hesitant. I'd call TRS and ask. They are usually super helpful. I've been using their stuff for over a decade.

Here's the normal install
Yeah see it says 2015 plus though. But yes I'm REFLECTOR not projector housing.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Looks like its 2015+ zrs only. So I'd still need the OEM lights from a newer model or zr...

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Looks like its 2015+ zrs only. So I'd still need the OEM lights from a newer model or zr...

Z71s although ZRs are the same. :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Did a little byway driving today with my wife and dog to get out of the house during a nice heavy storm we're getting here in Northern CA today and played around with the Auto 4x4 setting along the way...

We did a run down a canyon in my area and took a route where waterfalls are plentiful when the ground gets saturated like it currently is. On the route as you drive you drop then gain elevation twice essentially completing a canyon drop twice... We passed ~40 waterfalls of all sizes and climbed our way above the snow line...

As I traveled along and started ascending on a muddy-dirt road with some fair puddles to splash through and dodge, I switched over to the 4x4 Auto feature. The road was nice and wet, and is very windy above the river, slippery with branches to dodge with all those puddles... The Auto setting certainly did a good job of keeping the truck going in the direction I wanted to go and provided a feeling confidence compared to 2H. I was able to take corners with a little less slide and little more confidence with almost zero wheel slip on acceleration - no I wasn't trying to drive like an ass-hat and spin it around... the road is narrow.

As we continued I drove into and above the snow line, then switched over to 4x4 High as the snow got progressively deeper until there was ~6" on the ground, not pictured above... The Auto feature began to have to 'think' a little too much and I was starting to miss my intended line and slide around a bit in the corners. After switching to 4x4H there was just confidence until we peaked and started our descent out of the snow. No slip, no drama, engine braking as needed... Falken AT3 tires in you're wondering.

It was fun to play with the Auto system though and see exactly what it would provide me in these type of conditions. Its honestly a little hard to put the feeling to words but it gives you a little more bite, when you could get away with 2H still, but want a little more hook-up from the truck. Compared to 4H its not as predictable feeling perhaps?

Unrelated to the adventure, I'll be braving the weather to install the Squadron-R foglights tomorrow in place of the factory fogs. My wifey grabbed my these for my birthday and I'm pretty darn excited about it... My aging eyes can use the additional 4900 lumens. Happy Sunday all.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I changed the oil for the first time myself today. Fitted a fumoto six valve so I won't have to remove the skid plate going forward. Going to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesnt leak.

I also installed some sealight LED low and high beams. Thet were cheap enough so I went for it. Going to test them later once it's dark to feel out the improvement. But they seem bright and fit behind the factory dust cover...

I'm also working on some rear facing aux light action. I have a tractor flood light that I plan to mount to basket. Its pretty bright for being a little cheapie...

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Do you feel the fogs were worth the money?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Do you feel the fogs were worth the money?
Haven't really driven with them yet, but they are insanely bright. 4900 lumens per side. Install was cake... modular and lifetime warranty. Gonna probably go for a little drive in a few.

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Haven't really driven with them yet, but they are insanely bright. 4900 lumens per side. Install was cake... modular and lifetime warranty. Gonna probably go for a little drive in a few.

Let me know how it goes. I can't take lumens ratings seriously anymore but I know those lights are legit.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Let me know how it goes. I can't take lumens ratings seriously anymore but I know those lights are legit.
Well after driving... (forgot my phone for pics) I think the bd lights are worth the cost. Everything is lit up as if my old light setup was mounted up. Looks great. The sealight leds on the other hand...

Of course the passenger low beam is flickering. I'll pull the cover off tmrw and check connections but may just get returned and save pennies for something else?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Played with the headlights and the flicker continued so they are being returned. May shop around for something higher quality and just do the low beams for now maybe. I would not recommend the sealights...

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just put a set of cheap (in price) aukee LEDs in my zr2.. I think the output is hard to beat for the price. I ran the previous gen for a little over two years, when one side of the driver's side bulb started to fail / flicker. I think that is pretty good lifespan for the price (about $30 for 45k miles).

The newer ones are slightly brighter than the old ones, and are also small enough to fit with the covers on (the old ones were longer in back.. I ran them without the covers, which likely shortened the life, as there was quite a bit of dust and dirt in the cooling fins and fan)

Here is a link to the new ones:

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #179 (Edited)
Finally got around to installing the datin metal fabrication center console molle pieces I've been sitting on for awhile...

Made by Datin Metal Fab in ID.

Few tips if you want to install these or something similar...

Hold the piece up and mark your drill points before pulling the trim off.

The center console trim pieces simply just pull off... easiest to start near the seat and work forward imo.

Don't use overly large hardware as there is only a handful of space behind some areas of the trim cover pieces...

Now I need to measure the space and find the appropriate sized bags for a little added storage, can't roll around with a pistol mounted here in CA.

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Looks good man!

161 - 180 of 219 Posts