Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

201 - 220 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
614 Posts
Just got a Yinyang Magic Wand Antenna extention with a hanheld Soo-It Poontang S3X... gotta love all that Chinese tech.

Just kidding, could not resist a good pun.
I was actually waiting for the comments lol...Baofengs have become a bane of HAM ops in many places. But having the comm capability in my glove box is enough for now, until I buy a real radio and do a proper install.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the info. Somehow I missed your post from a while back when I was searching. Anyways, any idea if the model #910 mount will work in the rear stake pocket? Seems like the wedge style like the #920 may be necessary. I was just hoping to run the cable up through the center like the 910 and not have the bracket stick out over the side the of the bed.
Wow - I never saw this or that any replies got posted...

I'd have to check it out - if there's a lip under the front and rear edges, then it should work. I know I was looking for a mount to stick out from the tonneau. I'll take a look and some measurements tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Got the big part of my install done today. I was going to mount the control head in the cubby using the included mount but it doesn't work upside down, I ended up mounting it to my dash. No permanent mounting of any parts, no drilling. Only mods were making a hole in the existing firewall harness grommet for the power feed to the battery and making some hidden notches in a couple of areas for the control head cable to run without being pinched.

Antenna should hopefully be here by next weekend.

Hard to tell from the pics, but the mic cord doesn't hit or swing to touch my legs at all and the mic is vertical, just hard to tell that with the other angles going on.

IMG_5291.JPG
IMG_5292.JPG
IMG_5293.JPG

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow - I never saw this or that any replies got posted...

I'd have to check it out - if there's a lip under the front and rear edges, then it should work. I know I was looking for a mount to stick out from the tonneau. I'll take a look and some measurements tomorrow.
So, the rear stake pocket isn't square at the top - the rear edge is angled. So, a lip-mount wouldn't work. The front pocket is covered by that plastic cap, and I couldn't find a truck that didn't have it covered (was at the dealer getting tires changed over and had a bunch to look at). I seem to remember it's square, though, but it looks like the pockets are about 3" long. You have to pull that plastic cap off (it's just clipped in place) to verify that.

They might make one that's a wedge-type except square, not with the mount over the side. You'd have to look.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So, the rear stake pocket isn't square at the top - the rear edge is angled. So, a lip-mount wouldn't work. The front pocket is covered by that plastic cap, and I couldn't find a truck that didn't have it covered (was at the dealer getting tires changed over and had a bunch to look at). I seem to remember it's square, though, but it looks like the pockets are about 3" long. You have to pull that plastic cap off (it's just clipped in place) to verify that.

They might make one that's a wedge-type except square, not with the mount over the side. You'd have to look.
Thanks for the info! Still haven’t found a mount yet. I had contacted Breedlove and they responded that their mounts won’t work in the rear stake pocket. Also looked at geo tool but never received a response. Will probably look at making something for the pocket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the info! Still haven’t found a mount yet. I had contacted Breedlove and they responded that their mounts won’t work in the rear stake pocket. Also looked at geo tool but never received a response. Will probably look at making something for the pocket.
Well... The wedge mounts work fine in the rear pocket. I know that because mine is in there :) They hold fine towards the bottom, just don't have much bite at the top rear.

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Out of curiosity, is there any bleed-over to the truck stereo from mobile HAM units when keying the mic/ outgoing coms?

·
Registered
703 Posts
As a newbie, will this be a good antenna to start with?

Comet SBB-5NMO 2M/70cm Dual Band Mobile Antenna

·
Registered
3,781 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I got a magnetic base Wilson 1000 antenna for the CB Radio. The cable is routed through the back window. Is only used when we go on long trips and/or towing the camper. Permanent installs are not required it for our lifestyle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a permanent NMO mount right thru the roof. I used a STICO dual band (800/VHF) antenna. I stuck the duplexer up in the headliner, and just ran the wiring down the rear of the truck.. The radios are mounted under the back seat, and i used a remote head on the radio. The Mic is wired to come off the back of the head, to make the wiring a little cleaner.

Antenna.jpg

Duplexer.jpg

Radio Head.jpg

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Interesting choice in bands, assuming you use radios as some part of your work?

I did a permanent NMO mount right thru the roof. I used a STICO dual band (800/VHF) antenna. I stuck the duplexer up in the headliner, and just ran the wiring down the rear of the truck.. The radios are mounted under the back seat, and i used a remote head on the radio. The Mic is wired to come off the back of the head, to make the wiring a little cleaner.

View attachment 384041

View attachment 384042

View attachment 384043

·
Registered
3 Posts
Correct. 18 years in L.E. And emergency management. We use both here, with VHF always being the “go to”, cause it talks.

however. I still dabble with ham in 2cm / 440. Just not like it was before the mighty cell phone

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Correct. 18 years in L.E. And emergency management. We use both here, with VHF always being the “go to”, cause it talks.

however. I still dabble with ham in 2cm / 440. Just not like it was before the mighty cell phone
How involved was dropping the rear headliner for the antenna install? I have to do that soon for another non-radio related project. Though I may just prewire coax so I only have to do it once.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The headliner was a piece of cake! I removed the drivers side rear grab handle (2 8mm bolts) and the trim work on the rear “C” post (there is a 7 mm screw under the tab) along with the rubber door gasket. That allowed me to drop the headliner done plenty far. I use a pick to pop the covers on the grab handle covers. When I put the 7mm screw back on the trim, I wrap it with a single layer of electrical tape on the socket, so I don’t loose it in the panel. The trim hardware is about identical on all chevys (Tahoe’s, Silverado’s, etc)

I use a 3/4” antenna bit, so I don’t blast through the headliner when I drill.

I ran the cable down the C post under the rear seat where the radio is. All in all, about 30 minutes. I did everything on the drivers side

you can always run the mount and put a weatherproof NMO cap on it, until you use it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got the antena mounted modified a CBI ditch light bracket to use as an antena bracket

201 - 220 of 224 Posts