v6 go into v4 mode much? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

v6 go into v4 mode much?

My 2017 Colorado 4X4 Z71 almost NEVER goes into V4 mode.
The only time it will is upon deceleration - and after a few seconds, it goes back to V6.

I have a SS camaro that has same technology and it goes from V8 to V4 - it does it all of the time as long as I'm not accelerating very hard.

In my camaro, I can be going 70mph on the interstate and as long as there isn't a HUGE head wind or i'm going up hill.. it stays in V4 mode for ever...

I'm puzzled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:36 PM

One thing I would remember, your Camaro is much more aerodynamic than one of our trucks, that may have something to do with it.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

While I agree that is a factor - the behavior is completely different.
On the same in town trip, driven the same way, my SS might switch to 4cyl mode approx 15%-20% of the time -
My Colorado , probably 1%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:57 PM

Garage
sooooo take it in to the stealership

2015 red hot ext cab z71
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Is this not normal? Which leads to my question .. how much does your colorado go into v4?
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:09 PM

Garage
Engineers, CAFE & MPG's for a market segment % to meet govt requirements.
Save your brain cells wondering why. My LFX/6L50 truck acts or performs nothing like my LFX/6L50 Camaro did. You'd be hard pressed to tell they were even the same drivetrain.
16WhiteColly likes this.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

I buy what you are saying - but I'm still looking forward from someone with a V6 twin that has some data to compare
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlx View Post
I buy what you are saying - but I'm still looking forward from someone with a V6 twin that has some data to compare
I have both the LFX and LGZ Colorado's, and I'm as much perplexed between the both as you are it with a Camaro.
16WhiteColly likes this.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:40 AM

Garage
Mine is the same way. Only enters v4 on decel. I find it will go into the mode more when I don't use cruise control.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:00 AM

Garage
This appears to be the norm. It also will not change to V4 until the engine is up to a certain temp too. I can tell you that I found a sweet spot yesterday where it stayed in V4 for awhile when I was neither braking or coasting. I was on a flat stretch with just enough pressure on the throttle to hold it around 55 mph. It stayed in V4 for a couple of miles doing this.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
This appears to be the norm. It also will not change to V4 until the engine is up to a certain temp too. I can tell you that I found a sweet spot yesterday where it stayed in V4 for awhile when I was neither braking or coasting. I was on a flat stretch with just enough pressure on the throttle to hold it around 55 mph. It stayed in V4 for a couple of miles doing this.
Wow - thats different than what Ive experienced for sure.
I almost wonder since it goes into v4 mode so infrequently if it would almost be better off if it didn't switch at all.
I wonder if it can be disabled? Thinking more for my SS camaro than the colorado.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
I almost wonder since it goes into v4 mode so infrequently if it would almost be better off if it didn't switch at all.
I wond doer if it can be disabled? Thinking more for my SS camaro than the colorado.
Not sure and it could have been a fluke too...May not be able to reproduce it.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Its odd - like I mentioned, on my new SS camaro with the 6.2L, it goes from V8 to V4 quite frequently.
I can even accelerate and it will stay in V4 - Not heavy accelerating but moderate.
I can accelerate from 30 to 40 within approx 5-7 seconds and it will stay in V4.
TOTALLY different than the Colorado
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
I wonder if it can be disabled? Thinking more for my SS camaro than the colorado.
Then look here: Range Technology | AFM Solutions for GM Cars, Trucks & SUVs
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:29 AM

Garage
Remember that great Cadillac 4-6-8 engine from the 80's, me neither: Matt Garrett - Cadillac V8-6-4 Home Page . It was just a poorly engineered gimmick. The technology to deactivate cylinders is much more advanced today but it is still a "feel good" gimmick: it takes the same amount of energy to move 4,000 lbs. down the road regardless of the # of cylinders, it's the starting from a dead stop and accelerating that sucks up fuel at a greater rate in larger motors. This is just something else to go wrong with an already complicated motor.
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:05 AM

Mine is the same. Only does it during breaking/deceleration. If any amount of throttle at all is applied then it goes back to running on all 6.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCanyon View Post
Mine is the same. Only does it during breaking/deceleration. If any amount of throttle at all is applied then it goes back to running on all 6.

I'm actually glad to hear this. That means less chance of wear and tear of moving camshaft parts, oil consumption and other related DOD issues.

I am waiting for the new Colorado I have on order, but have driven 2 of them for 30 minutes or so. I do not remember seeing any change on the V6 light on the dash while driving at constant speed and thought I saw "V4" only once when coming up to stop at a stop sigh.
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT451 View Post
Remember that great Cadillac 4-6-8 engine from the 80's, me neither: Matt Garrett - Cadillac V8-6-4 Home Page . It was just a poorly engineered gimmick. The technology to deactivate cylinders is much more advanced today but it is still a "feel good" gimmick: it takes the same amount of energy to move 4,000 lbs. down the road regardless of the # of cylinders, it's the starting from a dead stop and accelerating that sucks up fuel at a greater rate in larger motors. This is just something else to go wrong with an already complicated motor.
^^^+1
Hey you engineers out there please explain how there is fuel conservation if the cylinder cut back primarily occurs on deceleration. Wouldn't there not be electronic managed fuel injection cut off anyhow?

Currently:
2018 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Red Quartz Tintcoat/Cocoa Dune
Bose, Nav
Picked up 9/23/17
Previously:
2015 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Bronze Alloy Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Ordered 10/8/14 Picked up 12/22/14
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT451 View Post
Exactly. If the cylinder cut back occurs primarily on deceleration why would electronic F.I. not cut back automatically obviating the need for cylinder management?
Please explain.

Currently:
2018 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Red Quartz Tintcoat/Cocoa Dune
Bose, Nav
Picked up 9/23/17
Previously:
2015 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Bronze Alloy Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Ordered 10/8/14 Picked up 12/22/14
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm under the impression these engines, including the LFX, implemented DFCO, so if you're swapping to V4 only upon deceleration you're pretty much gaining nothing from the AFM.

Resident thread derailer

Retired:
2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CC SB 4x4

Site Rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode