Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time we let everyone see what we have been working on. Below is the rendering of our ZR2 winch mount that is currently in prototyping. We designed this product for the people that have weight as a concern and are satisfied with the amount of protection that the stock bumper offers. What's pictured is a full sized winch mounted to our mounting plate with only our custom aluminum fairlead showing. This system was designed to use synthetic rope which will be the only option. A full bumper in the near future for those who get a little more extreme will have the option of using a steel cable. This mount will be fully reversible for those who want to take it off when the truck is sold or traded in with the factory license plate mount covering the hole like it was never even there. More info about weight, release date, and price to come.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's time we let everyone see what we have been working on. Below is the rendering of our ZR2 winch mount that is currently in prototyping. We designed this product for the people that have weight as a concern and are satisfied with the amount of protection that the stock bumper offers. What's pictured is a full sized winch mounted to our mounting plate with only our custom aluminum fairlead showing. This system was designed to use synthetic rope which will be the only option. A full bumper in the near future for those who get a little more extreme will have the option of using a steel cable. This mount will be fully reversible for those who want to take it off when the truck is sold or traded in with the factory license plate mount covering the hole like it was never even there. More info about weight, release date, and price to come.

Looks factory clean. Very nice! Excited

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like the concept, the question I have is how your winch mount actually mounts onto the frame. Does your web page have mounting instructions?

48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the concept, the question I have is how your winch mount actually mounts onto the frame. Does your web page have mounting instructions?
No mounting instructions yet. It uses the factory crash bar mounts along with the recovery point mounts. It's very similar to our Colorado and Canyon winch mount.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Is the drum release and power plug easy to reach? I plan on a 10k Smitty X20 w/syn rope.
Do you retain the OEM hooks?

This looks a lot like the concept truck back in 16 at sema, it's very clean, can't wait.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I know that is exactly what I am looking for. Love the stock bumper and low profile look. The only bumper I really like on the market is the addoffroad one but with no winch it really does not make the cost worth it. Also would pricing be less or similar to the colorado one? It seems like less metal, but maybe equal or more labor? I really like the pricing of the colorado one, but this design is very much what I want. Kind of makes the prototpye zr2 come to life! Great work!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm looking forward to it being finalized. I have the synthetic X2O 10k in the box at home. I was going to use a stinger in the rear hitch, but haven't wired it up yet. I will be interested to see if my RC light bar will still be usable.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If it can fit a xbull synthetic 13000lb winch I'll buy one for sure. Place I wanted to make one told me be easier buying a new bumper :/

Reactions: madcratebuilder

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wow, I love that design. That is even better than I was hoping for. That is very much a tribute to the ZR2 concept. As far as I am concerned, that is the bumper GM should have sold with the ZR2. Perhaps they will partner up with you and offer it through GM performance. For me, I am totally bumming. I pulled the trigger on the front hitch receiver from 589 so unless I want to eat $400 bucks I am going to have to admire from afar.

·
Registered
168 Posts
By the way, while you are designing in the area, do something with the front louvers where the King reservoir shocks were on the original concept. The molded plastic simulated louvers look like a total afterthought (and they were once the reservoirs were removed). Something cool needs to go there as that is a natural focal point of the vehicle. Something functional and stylish would be great but I can't for the life of me think of what that might be.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks awesome! Very reminiscent of the concept truck from a few years back. Looking forward to seeing some more specs and pricing info for this, and I'm also curious to see what the full bumper version looks like. My own preference is for steel cable, but that hidden look may be enough to sway me to synthetic line. Keep up the great work!

48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks awesome! Very reminiscent of the concept truck from a few years back. Looking forward to seeing some more specs and pricing info for this, and I'm also curious to see what the full bumper version looks like. My own preference is for steel cable, but that hidden look may be enough to sway me to synthetic line. Keep up the great work!
Thanks! That's exactly what we were going for and one of the main reasons we switched to our own custom fairlead. Originally the design had a universal adapter on the outside so both hawse and roller fairlead could be used but concerns over weight, strength and the lack of sexyness made us go this direction. With the full bumper coming up the hard core people that need the steel line for rocky areas will probably want a full bumper which is designed for both fairleads.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you reckon this would fit with a 1.25" or 1.50" body lift? I ask because I presently have a 1.25" body lift (raising the front fascia 1.25" relative to the frame), and Chevrolet Performance will "soon" release their kit they used on the Hall Racing ZR2, and that includes a 1.5" body lift (among several other suspension components). Nobody knows how soon "soon" is when it comes to the release date of the Chevrolet Performance parts.

Reactions: ZR2Cougar

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wish this could be on my Christmas list :) maybe next year!

Also very curious about the body lift as I will probably going with one to clear 33" tires when mine wear out.

48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you reckon this would fit with a 1.25" or 1.50" body lift? I ask because I presently have a 1.25" body lift (raising the front fascia 1.25" relative to the frame), and Chevrolet Performance will "soon" release their kit they used on the Hall Racing ZR2, and that includes a 1.5" body lift (among several other suspension components). Nobody knows how soon "soon" is when it comes to the release date of the Chevrolet Performance parts.
This is part of the reason why we are a little late getting this product out. With GM talking about a body lift at SEMA we took a good hard look at making a product that would work with and without a body lift. Unfortunately body lifts are a nightmare for producing products that attach to the frame and we were unable to come up with a product that was able to work with both. If GM does actually offer a dealer installed body lift we will look at the tweaks needed to make this work and produce a product for the lift that GM will offer.

Sign me up... I'm in! So Clean. When when when.
Soon soon soon! We will opening up ordering after we do testing to make sure the design will do what the computer says.

The prototype pan was finished up today and we were pleasantly surprised with the weight. 21.5 pounds is what the pan only came in at! We are looking at sub 30 pounds for the full mount. This means under 100 pounds with a Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope fully mounted!

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is part of the reason why we are a little late getting this product out. With GM talking about a body lift at SEMA we took a good hard look at making a product that would work with and without a body lift. Unfortunately body lifts are a nightmare for producing products that attach to the frame and we were unable to come up with a product that was able to work with both. If GM does actually offer a dealer installed body lift we will look at the tweaks needed to make this work and produce a product for the lift that GM will offer.

Soon soon soon! We will opening up ordering after we do testing to make sure the design will do what the computer says.

The prototype pan was finished up today and we were pleasantly surprised with the weight. 21.5 pounds is what the pan only came in at! We are looking at sub 30 pounds for the full mount. This means under 100 pounds with a Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope fully mounted!

Good to hear because I'm wanting the body lift from GM bad. Would love this winch too!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts