Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Z71 Crew Cab 4WD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which trim do you feel has the most comfortable seats? I have a Z71 with the standard Z71 seats and they are ok seats. I sat in an LT seat and it wasn't that great. The ZR2 had the most comfy seats (I test drove one) but I live in Utah so I didn't want to have leather seats that get hot and crack in the summer and then cold in the winter.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The cushions underneath are all the same so the feeling of comfort is between the type of leather or cloth. I replaced my cloth seats with Katzkin leather. They are a tad better but it's not like the difference between a spring mattress and memory foam.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I am going back to 2015 (actually, it was late 2014, but 2015 models) and I would rate comfort, in order, as leather, cloth, Z71. In 2015, Z71 did not have a leather option, and the one I sat in on a showroom floor may have had some issues of some sort, but they were very uncomfortable.

My seat has cracked on the drive side where it rubs on the hard plastic, don't think that is actually leather there. I am trying to decide between something like Katzkin, a local upholstery shop. or some other option, with biggest concern matching the rest of the truck.

@Klicht8719 ,

Did you go Katzkin all the way around, including back seats? (My back seats are in great shape, I always have the pet hammock out when the dogs ride back there. ) How much did it run you? Did you install yourself or pay to have installed?

Not sure if the heated seats on my SLT pose any special considerations for any replacements, Katzkin or local upholstery.

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
284 Posts
Just because, it is worth pointing out that for the 2019 model year, the seat bottom gained the electric tilt feature that we didn't have in our 2015 models. Also, the left side of the driver's seat got changed slightly. From what I understand, the front left side bolstering (used to keep your behind in place) got cut down somewhat so it isn't so tall or vertical. This is one complaint about my 2015 (leather) seats that I do not like. The seat bottom is constantly digging into the underside of my left thigh.

(note: I'm pretty sure both changes happened for the 2019 model year...might have been 2018 for one or the other)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am going back to 2015 (actually, it was late 2014, but 2015 models) and I would rate comfort, in order, as leather, cloth, Z71. In 2015, Z71 did not have a leather option, and the one I sat in on a showroom floor may have had some issues of some sort, but they were very uncomfortable.

My seat has cracked on the drive side where it rubs on the hard plastic, don't think that is actually leather there. I am trying to decide between something like Katzkin, a local upholstery shop. or some other option, with biggest concern matching the rest of the truck.

@Klicht8719 ,

Did you go Katzkin all the way around, including back seats? (My back seats are in great shape, I always have the pet hammock out when the dogs ride back there. ) How much did it run you? Did you install yourself or pay to have installed?

Not sure if the heated seats on my SLT pose any special considerations for any replacements, Katzkin or local upholstery.
I ordered a full front and back set off ebay. The front seats are leather but the back seats are vinyl(?). You can't tell the difference but the seller had the exact color combo I wanted. They were a little difficult to install because I've never done upholstery. If I actually went through katzkin it would have cost 1800 for the product plus install at a local shop. The nearest shop was 45 minutes away and I wasn't gonna leave my truck with them for however long it would have taken. I paid $699 on ebay for the seats. If you are really any bit handy it's not really that difficult. Back to your question, I'm sure you would have to go through a seller for just the fronts.

·
Registered
2019 Z71 Crew Cab 4WD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But don't leather seats not last as long due to them cracking with time? My parents have owned cars with leather seats and they have always cracked and aged worse than cloth seats. However, leather seats don't stain like cloth seats so they both have their pros and cons.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
But don't leather seats not last as long due to them cracking with time? My parents have owned cars with leather seats and they have always cracked and aged worse than cloth seats. However, leather seats don't stain like cloth seats so they both have their pros and cons.
the issue with the leather seats on the twins in the seams coming apart, the leather is so thin that it tears where you slide in and out.. other wise mine look brand new

·
Registered
2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 3.6L V6
96 Posts
Just because, it is worth pointing out that for the 2019 model year, the seat bottom gained the electric tilt feature that we didn't have in our 2015 models.
Is it possible to upgrade the seat in a 2016 to have this tilt feature? If so, which component(s) need to be replaced?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is it possible to upgrade the seat in a 2016 to have this tilt feature? If so, which component(s) need to be replaced?
I'm sure you can but you would probably need to buy the seat frame, motor and switch on the side of the seat. I'm not 100% but it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i have the unit available if you're interested. When I had the encore seat installed, it worked perfectly fine. There's a thread on how to do this. I almost completed it, but ended up stripping my factory bolt. (meaning i can't separate the base from the backing without buying another new seat or paying someone to drill out the bolt; meaning, it won't happen anytime soon).
However, you'll have to be handy enough to wire the unit to your truck. If I remember correctly, 2 pins need to be added to your wiring harness. Alternatively, you can splice them yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts