Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the difference in fuel mileage for the highway so great 25% between the diesel ZR2 at 18 vs the diesel Z71 at 26 I think?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aerodynamics mainly. At highway speeds wind resistance is very important. The open front bumper of the ZR2 will be like a brick going down the highway. Compound that with the higher ride height and widened stance, means there is also more surface area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the 2020, the front bumpers really don't seem to be that much different. The larger height and width difference I can see. The difference of mpg just seems a bit much for the same differential ratio truck. I want the diesel for towing. Ok thanks for the quick response!.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
137 Posts
I want the diesel for towing.
If you want it for towing, go with the Z71. The ZR2 takes about a 2000 lb (+ or - depending on Non-ZR2 configuration) hit on towing capacity. Yep, ZR2 is only rated for 5000 lbs.

So with the ZR2 you get worse mileage and less towing capacity when compared to the Z71.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Had a LT for about 3 years, my ZR2 I have had for a bit over a year. most of my driving is 45mph and below.

Right at 3 mpg worse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes... I will be towing a boat up to Canada every year weighing around 3k but want the looks and the front locker option. Also, I look for durability. Seems the reduced towing is not based upon the drive train as they seem to have the same specs. So far, to find a truck close to me with the color I want in Wisconsin, I will have to order one. Waiting until February to order one so I can get an additional year without the nasty salt damage that occurs here every year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts