Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
a truck like yours SHOULD go places where a stock ZR2 cannot go, unless a front locker is needed, and I have needed mine twice, uphill in mud. You know, when you have parked at the bottom of a hill to go hunting, sun comes out and thaw's out the road....
The difference in my use for instance. where I hunt I have about 6 miles of rutted, wash boarded dirt/sand roads to travel plus cattle pastures. I can cruise right over it with not much trouble. My brothers F-150 haas to ge real slow or it will walk all over the road and rattle and bounce his truck to death. Last year after the 3rd day,he said I will pay for the gas if we take your truck from now on...during this time is when I IMOP am using the ZR2 for what it is made for, not rock crawling. Sometimes I wished I had one of each, a ZR2 and raised twin
thats funny! lockers can come in handy in strange simple situations too.

Kind of funny thing I saw a couple weeks ago that has to do with the lack of front lockers....

I was at the public park after a week of rain and a guy could not find a place to park his new full size chevy 4x4 silverado. about $42k I guess.

so he drove forward straight in over the curb and parked on the grass. even with signs that said not too park there. he had his tailgate parallel to the curb about 6 inches from the curb.

we walked our dog and sat and 3 hours later came by and saw him slowly spinning some wheels in the flat grass now slick with mud. not moving at all and had not dug holes either. I looked and some front and rear tires were spinning. he also tried wiggling the front tires back and forth unsuccessfully. this was on completely flat ground. just slick mud under grass.

he was not moving. then I realized he also had a large tow truck off to the side on the pavement that started pulling him slowly back with a strap at an angle since space was tight. he pulled him 2 feet to the curb and over it!

really funny to watch that big 4x4 not able to back up 2 feet.

I guess he needed LOCKERS. or maybe 4 or 5 guys could have pushed it by hand.

I think 4x4 Silverado's only have a rear locker if you option it. his was probably just a 4x4. and no front locker options available at all?

so a locker may have helped him. or maybe all 4 would spin?

but I have used mine in my driveway about 6 times successfully to get me out of spin situations. I have tight space to turn around on a off cambered multiple banking slope that puts you into my fence since you can not turn tight enough to clear the fence. so you end up having to back up the hill to get away from the fence and complete your turn. kind of a K turn out of my parking spot but you have to backup 3 times, sometimes 4 when the ford focus is in the way . all the time being on a slope and various banks around big redwoods.

one rear wheel will get compressed high up in the wheel well and one will be in the air or really light weight on it. so it just spins. as you complete the modifid K turn to get turned around and down the steep windy banked driveway.

doing 4x4 mode usually helps but that too can spin in front on opposite wheel and you slide forward more. so sometimes I have to straighted the steering and use both LOCKERS and it slowly backs right up.

my wife likes that!

with my old 57 CHEVY 3100 rear wheel drive pickup it use to get stuck there and she had to get out and jump on the rear bumper or get in the bed to help get me backed up a bit! sometimes we had to call my son down to help push a bit.

So we like the 4x4 and lockers on the zr2!

we also have had UPS trucks slip and hit the fence 3 times. I hit it 2 times with my camaro, my wife knocked boards loose about 5 times in Focus. my son hit it a couple times with his 300zx and his parhfinder.

and once a fedx truck got stuck against the fence and had to get a tow truck to lift him up and back to fet it out. funny! they park at the bottom of the driveway now!

that driveway is a killer to navigate!

I do love the 4x4 and lockers just for those situations. grear so far. im waiting for the winter mud slides to test it more. ;)

So you bever know when you might find use of the lockers. nice backup system before having to get a tow or pull.

·
Registered
315 Posts
yes but those slanted little holders are for very small plastic bottles, like 12 oz maybe and maybe for unopened can sodas. I have never found anything good to use them for with my stuff.

my water bottle is double insulated aluminium and holds 22 oz and just barely fits the center cup holders but does work. they do not fit the other 4 bottle holders.
Standard bottles fit. I have a fleet of generic 24 oz bottles for cycling and I use them in door cards all the time. Quit using insulated bottles and you'll be able to carry +4 bottles in the doors.

These guys. You'll find them everywhere, they're cheap for companies to put logos on:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have this idea knocking around in my head. Buy a short wheel base, short bed, 4 door, ZR2. Remove the bed. Z cut the frame, and stretch it 12.3 inches. Drop on a stock Z71 long bed. Done!

The only LWB, LB ZR2 on the planet.
It's been done already.
I have a Crew cab, long bed ZR2.
Had it since 2006! :)

Reactions: MaineMan

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well for any of us to actually tell you to buy a ZR2 or not is not something we can do.
Well..…….actually we can. Buy that ZR2!

As far as affordability, +/- on trade in or right decision? Will you get your money's worth of fun? Overspending of budget constraints? Truck payment due so no milk for the kids? All these are things for YOU to consider. If they all fall on the non-issue side of the equation DO IT!

Gusto!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I would like to keep my truck but I need a 4 door because of my bundle of joy 14 month old. I have an ext. cab and the passenger seat is pushed all the way up and tilted down so no room as a passenger. (wife) (Found it says so in the owners manual) Wild! Not wife just not to have a passenger Warning. I like the looks of the ZR2 and I had one for 18 years back in the 90s. 1997. Died in Jan 2017. So I keep my truck for a long time. I guess it comes down to style. My question is What will I miss for features? Like I can view movies (.mp4 files) on my 2016 but I am finding I can't on newer models. No big deal but it was a cool feature. Plus the USB in the Center Console. Nice to hide the usb drive so no one wants to steal it. Thanks for all your comments!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The IntelliHaul camera system does not work with the 2019 Colorado (and 2020 as far as I know). They replaced the infotainment system in 2019.

2018: IO5 (no Nav), IO6 (Nav)
2019: IOS (no Nav), IOT (Nav)
2020: same? (no Nav), IOU (Nav)

This may be fixed by EchoMaster in the future, but you never know.

·
Registered
360 Posts
And how did you manage that? Does the VIN actually match a ZR2? or did you build a clone from a LWB truck?

Im sure he is talking about an S10
Long story short... Took an extended cab, long bed Chevy S-10 ZR2, cut it in half, extended the frame and installed a Sonoma ZR5 cab on it!
Even though it has a ZR2 frame the VIN has to be from the Sonoma cab, so technically not a ZR2.

Reactions: WV NATIVE

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
In the custom car world, that is called a "Clone" or "Tribute" car/truck. They're also called "Awesome", and "Very Cool". :)

Was it worth it? Does it do all the things you want it to do? Can we see a picture or two?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bought it in 2006 from a guy in Hurricane WV who needed money to open up his own auto body shop, he almost cried when I was driving it away.
It was/is practically a show vehicle, the frame and everything underneath is powdercoated or painted. 4 inch lift, 33s , full leather interior and many other accessories.
A week after I bought it I had it on top of Test Hill and took it back there once or twice a year for the next 11 years and really never broke anything major on it despite the major beatings you can put on a truck at Silver Lake.
I was on the ZR2 websites for almost 20 years before they went under so there were literally hundreds of photos of it on ZR2.com and ZR2USA.
I'll look for old photos of it on my phone.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
672 Posts
I bought it in 2006 from a guy in Hurricane WV
Small world. I live 5 minutes from Hurricane. I may have seen that ZR2 when the previous owner had it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
He was a real young guy selling all his toys so he could open up his own body shop, I think he mentioned it was going to be in Nitro.

Here are the only pics I can find so far.
068.jpg

·
Registered
360 Posts
Couple more.

·
Registered
360 Posts
21 - 35 of 35 Posts