Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

I'm trying to figure out how GM widened the track of the ZR2 by 3". What would it take to make the same changes to my 17 Canyon All Terrain? New upper & lower control arms? Tie rods? Axel? Differential??? Etc. Etc.

I purchased this truck late spring and love it so far. Pretty much stock so far but I'm going to be installing the Icon Stage 2 suspension package soon, which includes new upper control arms. I would like to widen the stance as well for added stability (but mostly just for the looks!), so I'm planning to grab a set of wheel spacers.

Before I do though, I want to get an idea of what it would take to widen the stance properly like the ZR2. Longer axels is what I keep hearing but there's got to be more to it (tie rods? Control arms? U joints? Etc etc). I'm not willing to swap out the entire rear axel so maybe I'll stick to spacers in the rear.

Anything helps! ZR2 owners feel free to chime in with any observations and part numbers.

Thanks!

This my first post btw. Be gentle ;)

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
Chevrolet went with a wider axle and new cast-iron control arms. (Also supplied by Multimatic, these feature a neat Easter egg: a ZR2 badge cast into the top.). So unless you want to swap out the entire axle, you will have to use spacers.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Wow..... FWIW. - to do it RIGHT you’re better off just trading your truck in and getting a ZR2.

For only a small amount of stability (which, I doubt you’d even notice it) and for looks.......leave it the way it is (stance wise).

Swapping Axles is much more work than people think (to do it RIGHT). When you’re talking spacers & wide wheels with different offsets - you could cause more harm to the mechanicals than it worth. You don’t wanna open up a can of worms.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You can gain 33 MM (1.299”) per side by going to 00 offset wheels. Going to 00 offset wheels that are 8 1/2” wide will gain you another .25” per side.= 1.549” per side or 3.098” in track width...ask me how I know...

Reactions: F8LZ71

·
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors
274 Posts
Hey Everybody,

I'm trying to figure out how GM widened the track of the ZR2 by 3". What would it take to make the same changes to my 17 Canyon All Terrain? New upper & lower control arms? Tie rods? Axel? Differential??? Etc. Etc.

I purchased this truck late spring and love it so far. Pretty much stock so far but I'm going to be installing the Icon Stage 2 suspension package soon, which includes new upper control arms. I would like to widen the stance as well for added stability (but mostly just for the looks!), so I'm planning to grab a set of wheel spacers.

Before I do though, I want to get an idea of what it would take to widen the stance properly like the ZR2. Longer axels is what I keep hearing but there's got to be more to it (tie rods? Control arms? U joints? Etc etc). I'm not willing to swap out the entire rear axel so maybe I'll stick to spacers in the rear.

Anything helps! ZR2 owners feel free to chime in with any observations and part numbers.

Thanks!

This my first post btw. Be gentle ;)

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
If you are looking to go with a wider suspension, don't waste your $$ on the Icon Stage 2. All of the Icon suspension will keep your track width stock.

We have our Prerunner Kit Available if you are interested!

New Boxed Upper and Lower arms, Custom length axle shafts, tie rod extensions, extended brakelines and grade 9 hardware.

This kit will widen your stance by 2.5" per side.

This kit is paired with a Custom King 2.5 Coilover with an option to run a King 2.5 Bypass.

2nd Picture is with Stock Fenders. 3rd Picture is with FiberwerX Fenders.

Auto part Brake Motorcycle accessories

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Auto part Suspension part Motor vehicle Suspension Vehicle

Reactions: G2SKIER

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Go with the bajakits or buy a ZR2 in my opinion. I was on the edge with my 2016 z71 between the prerunner kit and trading for a ZR2. I got a good deal on the ZR2 so I went that route but I wouldn’t hesitate to get a bajakits in your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You can see the wider axle on the ZR2. The twin in this picture has a lift block as well, for an apples to apples comparison.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.