Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video of a ZR2 stuck in the surf on Cape Lookout NS was posted on another board where the truck owner, the poster and the third guy in the group all caught a bunch of grief. I'll admit I started to pile on as well but then thought back to some of the dumb things I've done over the years - Many of which were simply because I didn't know any better and that may have been the case here. As best I can tell, this was the first experience of beach driving for any of them.

Check out the video and use it as a learning tool which I think was the intent of the poster. There are plenty of things done wrong but some of the comments are way off base as well. And that's a great looking ZR2 as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This video of a ZR2 stuck in the surf on Cape Lookout NS was posted on another board where the truck owner, the poster and the third guy in the group all caught a bunch of grief. I'll admit I started to pile on as well but then thought back to some of the dumb things I've done over the years - Many of which were simply because I didn't know any better and that may have been the case here. As best I can tell, this was the first experience of beach driving for any of them.

Check out the video and use it as a learning tool which I think was the intent of the poster. There are plenty of things done wrong but some of the comments are way off base as well. And that's a great looking ZR2 as well.
If it is your first rodeo you do not jump on the meanest horse...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
I feel like a second set of Maxtrax would have really helped the situation. Considering beach/sand recoveries are a Maxtrax bread and butter. Three vehicles in the bunch and only two boards seems like an oversight to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
sigh.... I got stuck in super loose sand this past weekend. Husband was out of town, so I had to get myself out. Got on my hands and knees, scooped away the sand around the tires, put it in 4, and got myself out. #girlpower? #experiencewithsnowpaysoff. ;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Perfect example of money doesnt buy skills, knowledge or common sense.

Lots went wrong, the situation could have been avoided and could have been handled better and quicker. Just wish the guy who posted, did a better recap and added more info about lessons learned and how to attack it better. This was a perfect opportunity to have a teaching moment, but he fumbled at the goal line.

They didnt even try the winch until the guy filming went to get help.

#DoItForTheGram #Beach #Waves #Overlanding

·
Registered
217 Posts
Perfect example of money doesnt buy skills, knowledge or common sense.

Lots went wrong, the situation could have been avoided and could have been handled better and quicker. Just wish the guy who posted, did a better recap and added more info about lessons learned and how to attack it better. This was a perfect opportunity to have a teaching moment, but he fumbled at the goal line.

They didnt even try the winch until the guy filming went to get help.

#DoItForTheGram #Beach #Waves #Overlanding
If he had never been to the beach (swimming, chilling, etc.) I might cut him some slack, but most people know the sand near the water or under water, can be like quick sand, add in rouge waves and under tow, etc. So doing it is stupid, not like you are doing a stream/river crossing to get to the other side, this example serves no purpose...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
The way I see it : No harm, no foul, everybody won ! Nobody got hurt, no vehicles were lost to the ocean & everyone
learned something ! What more can you ask for ?

Coulda, shoulda, woulda !

·
Registered
645 Posts
This is crazy in so many ways. I’m from a beach town near areas where driving on the beach is allowed. This leads many people to think it’s a good idea, even if they don’t know anything about it. There is a local club of people who do know something about it devoted to pulling vehicles out.

Those who say there was no harm done (except to the vehicle) should consider whether it was a clam area. Where I’m from, it is illegal to drive on the clam beds. The people who drive on the beach are mostly clammers who know where the clams are and know the tides.

·
Registered
2021 Canyon AT4
63 Posts
I would never drive my truck in the salt water, but man that was kind of scary how fast the rear end sunk. Looked like that 1 small wave caused it to sink, and then when he gave it gas it just sunk even more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kinetic rope would have maid quick work of that situation. Is it just me or is that zr2 not even aired down?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts