Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a ZR2 extended cab, and even at 6'3 tall, I find it hard to get inside the truck without having to drag myself across the seat.

It has the stock tubular rocker protection, which I like and would like to keep. Does anyone know if it's also possible to bolt on a step for the driver and passenger?

I was thinking something like this:

https://www.realtruck.com/carr-black-hoop-ii-truck-steps/R185694P2017Y750MA.html

...or has anyone come up with a solution other than replacing the entire nerf bar for one with steps?

TIA...

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I don't think anyone has done that yet. If you are offroading and need the rock sliders, wouldn't the step just get ripped off? Some people have already swapped out the rock sliders for steps or running boards.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think anyone has done that yet. If you are offroading and need the rock sliders, wouldn't the step just get ripped off? Some people have already swapped out the rock sliders for steps or running boards.
Yeah, the step would be a liability on a low-clearance trail, just unbolt it before the trip. But, the ZR2 isn't a trail rig for me. I haven't looked under there yet, but I'd be really impressed if those rails were bolted to the frame and not the body.

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
I have not seen anyone bolt those on. would think you would have to weld a pad for them to be bolted to. Most have replaced with Nfab, Rough Country, Havoc step bars

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's another thread where we briefly talked about this: http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-2nd-gen-appearance-body/358234-zr2-steps-rocker-protectors.html
Right now I don't know of anything that works with the current rock sliders. Nfab makes some sliders that have detachable steps, but the sliders apparently don't provide the same coverage as the factory ones. I'd love to see someone put together something similar that could be attached/removed from the ZR2 sliders - that would be the best of both worlds. Because of the design of the sliders, they'd be larger steps then the nfab ones, but I don't think that would matter for something designed to be removed when hitting the trail.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm faced with the same problem. Unless you're on a trail laden with boulders, added steps would rarely present a problem. Best bet is to get some steps welded on at a local welding shop. Just verify whether the rock sliders are steel or stainless steel before getting the work done. Several publications have stated that the sliders are stainless.

Here's a video of a colorado getting hung up on the trail... highly unlikely that this'll ever happen to you.

https://youtu.be/2YRm5JKsU5s

·
Registered
57 Posts
.. Just verify whether the rock sliders are steel or stainless steel before getting the work done. Several publications have stated that the sliders are stainless...
FWIW, a magnet will not stick to the stock sliders on my 2018 ZR2.

·
Registered
67 Posts
MY solution to this "problem". I took the rock sliders off. Cut the top tube off and had my son reweld them back on in a lower position. Had him do it as I also thought they were aluminum. Have not seen the "finished" product yet but will pick them up this week. 7 hours round trip to get them back. Now they will be a functional "step". And yes they for sure are quality stainless steel. I am also assuming that the Sport Bar is also stainless ???????

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't know if it's just me but I continue to be successful just using the rock slider as a step, I'm 5'10" and obviously need all the help I can get to enter the truck. I'd almost lean toward the missing grab handle on the driver's side A-pillar as the miss here. I'd agree that the sliders aren't intended to be a step and aren't very generous in that respect but I've had little difficulty outside of winter when it becomes too slick to be beneficial. Entering in this fashion has also allowed me to avoid excessive abuse on the outside bolster of the driver's seat that has been highlighted as a "wear and tear" problem. I simply step onto the slider with my left foot while supporting myself (on occasion) by grabbing the steering wheel and then just pivoting in, I do nearly the same to exit as well be placing my left heel on the slider before hopping out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Direct link:

Intrigued. In need. In the funds. More photos of install please. Especially interested in the mounting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.