Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If you are wanting to keep the ZR2 rock sliders, you are going to have to have something custom fabricated. Actually, if you want removable steps, you'll have to have it done custom. I haven't seen anything like that out there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what it was looking like. But I also knew I'm not aware of any of the 3rd party or small shop stuff like I was with the H3. Luckily I can get in fine. My wife will just have to deal.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Khaos,

N-FAB has an item on thier website......RKR rock rails with removable step. I just posted a thread on it to see if anyone on here has them and if they are infact the real deal

George

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Khaos,

I heard back from N-FAB and they are true rosk rails. They have an add-on removalable steps. Also, while researching the N-FAB RKR's I ran into a few people (not on this forum, other makes) that have successfully mounted the N-FAB step to other brands of rock rails, including some OEMs. So if you have the ZR2 rails or are thinking about them, these steps may actually work

Regards

George

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been looking at the nfabs for replacing the stock ones, as being able to add/remove the steps is appealing. From what I've seen, the stock rails lack points that the nfab steps (or anything else) could even attempt to mount on in useful positions, but I've been waiting 2 weeks for my truck to get get from the depot to the dealer, so I haven't been able to get underneath and really look.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I put the factory steps on my 2016 Z71, mainly to keep some of the stuff being thrown up on the sides of the truck by the front tires. I had a 2001 ZR2 Blazer, and even the side glass was scratched from being coated with sand when you rolled it up/down. The steps would hit you on your calfs as you got out, and would constantly coat your pants leg with crud. I modified the steps and moved them inward a few inches, but they still hit your legs. I just bought a 2018 ZR2, and the rock rails do the same thing.... just not quite as bad....

Reactions: ptlee810

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a picture of the rails underneath the driver's door. The mounting brackets could be used to attach a large step that stretches most of the door length though I'm not sure the best way to attach it (arrows are the places I'd figure it'd have to somehow hook on to or require some drilling & bolting), and something similar could be done for the back doors. They'd be much larger then the N-Fab steps. I guess it comes down to either a 3rd party seeing enough demand to attempt it, or one of the hobbyists around here being able and wiling to put something together (definitely not something I have the equipment to do).

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got a laser cutter that can cut thin 1/8" plywood, so I was thinking of mocking up some test designs and figure I will find a metal fabricator to copy the winning design.

I would like them to be easily removable without tools, and am thinking of something that would hook onto the rock sliders, and latch on with an elastic rubber strap, or a thumbscrew-locked lever. This way I can take them off in a whim, if I want to go on a long highway roadtrip (fuel efficiency) or can see the road getting rough and chunky. As well, I'd be able to run around to my wife's door and slip it back on instantly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got a laser cutter that can cut thin 1/8" plywood, so I was thinking of mocking up some test designs and figure I will find a metal fabricator to copy the winning design.

I would like them to be easily removable without tools, and am thinking of something that would hook onto the rock sliders, and latch on with an elastic rubber strap, or a thumbscrew-locked lever. This way I can take them off in a whim, if I want to go on a long highway roadtrip (fuel efficiency) or can see the road getting rough and chunky. As well, I'd be able to run around to my wife's door and slip it back on instantly.

Even if you come up with something that has one or two nuts to attach/detach that would be awesome

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed Carr Hoop ll steps on my extended cab ZR2. Absolutely no interference with the rock sliders and easily removed with 4 bolts. I would post some pictures if I could figure out how to on my iPad.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I installed Carr Hoop ll steps on my extended cab ZR2. Absolutely no interference with the rock sliders and easily removed with 4 bolts. I would post some pictures if I could figure out how to on my iPad.
This is awesome news, this is exactly what im looking for.

Can you tell us how they attach? do they mount to existing holes or do you need to drill to install?

Also, just to clarify, you can have these installed at the same time as the stock rock sliders and then remove when necessary?

Sometimes to post pic on a forum to need to host them on a site like imgur, i dont have an ipad so i cant be of more help

·
Registered
3 Posts
604-ZR2, each step consist of 3 parts, 2 brackets and the step. Install each bracket with one bolt and one self tapping screw so you need to drill one 1/8" hole for the screw and one 5/16" hole for the bolt, then the step attaches too each bracket with 2 bolts. Removing the step leaves the brackets tucked up under the truck above the sliders so the brackets are unseen and protected. The most difficult part is drilling the holes, definitely need a right angle drill or adapter. I couldn't get a punch to start the hole either so I held a no. 1 Phillips head with pliers and tapped a hammer sideways. Sliders were never an issue during installation. They have a pretty solid feel also (I'm 160 lbs). They don't help getting out of the truck but gravity takes care of that. Carr's part no. is 103331. Look it up and and this will make better sense.

·
Registered
83 Posts
604-ZR2, each step consist of 3 parts, 2 brackets and the step. Install each bracket with one bolt and one self tapping screw so you need to drill one 1/8" hole for the screw and one 5/16" hole for the bolt, then the step attaches too each bracket with 2 bolts. Removing the step leaves the brackets tucked up under the truck above the sliders so the brackets are unseen and protected. The most difficult part is drilling the holes, definitely need a right angle drill or adapter. I couldn't get a punch to start the hole either so I held a no. 1 Phillips head with pliers and tapped a hammer sideways. Sliders were never an issue during installation. They have a pretty solid feel also (I'm 160 lbs). They don't help getting out of the truck but gravity takes care of that. Carr's part no. is 103331. Look it up and and this will make better sense.
Thanks Rob I checked them out. drilling into the brand new rocker panel is a little scary but these are a slick option to keep the stock sliders and have a step. did you seal up the holes at all?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Rob I checked them out. drilling into the brand new rocker panel is a little scary but these are a slick option to keep the stock sliders and have a step. did you seal up the holes at all?
604, I like them because they're small and don't steal the show. Some rides look like steps with a truck instead of a truck with steps. Also I ripped 3 pairs of jeans :surprise: before I got em so they pay for themselves real quick.
I've thought about slappin some sealer goop stuff around they bolts, anybody with suggestions?

·
Registered
239 Posts
604, I like them because they're small and don't steal the show. Some rides look like steps with a truck instead of a truck with steps. Also I ripped 3 pairs of jeans
before I got em so they pay for themselves real quick.
I've thought about slappin some sealer goop stuff around they bolts, anybody with suggestions?
id like to see pictures of this set up. If you need help posting you can text them to me and I'll post them up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I too would like to see this setup.

In your opinion, if someone was inclined to modify the step to make the rear hole a open slot (see image), could you hook the step on that bolt and just install a ball detent pin in the front hole? This would really make these a quick remove/reinstall option.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.