Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking of going old school on my spare. Putting it on the side of the bed like we did in the 60-70's... How bad does it look...??? Made a stainless thingamagig to hold it in and have some stainless angle... [ ?????? ]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have a cover so it's mounted flat in the bed. Anything to get it out from under the truck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Attachments

Reactions: G2SKIER

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
How tacky with the bed rails installed.....??? :frown2:

I think it looks fine!

Here's what I made to fit under the cover...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, started on it today. I'm beat, so going to clean up some then mow before the rain tonight. Still have to put the bed rails on, make a thing to hold the tire on [with rubber to protect alum wheel], and take the old exhaust shield off underneath ..... good job tomorrow when it is raining. Carrier is all stainless except a nylon block used as a spacer and two brass bolts... [ I'm beat...!!!!!!!!! ]

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Why? Not being a smartass, I just don't know. I suspect it's for ground clearance off road. But I could be wrong.

I've lost underbed spares [cable breaks ], they get real nasty under there, hard for an older person to get it out, they tend to take weight off your driven wheels in deep hard packed snow [ more to hang up and hold you away from tera firma ], and..... in the way of dual exhaust. [ :smile2: ]

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've lost underbed spares [cable breaks ], they get real nasty under there, hard for an older person to get it out, they tend to take weight off your driven wheel in deep hard packed snow [ hang up ], and..... in the way of dual exhaust. [ :smile2: ]
Well, there ya go. I was wrong. Thanx for the education. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can also use the area to mount an air compressor system and a big set of air horns ...... or bolt in a couple hundred pounds of behind the rear axle weight for deep snow...

Reactions: G2SKIER and mexica

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just about done, still have to yank off the old underneath tire heat shield....

Shield just is put on with plastic quick-rivets. Now when I pass you, you can get a clear view of that awesome rear electric locker... and oft in the distance, you can just make out it's complement, the front electric locker.....

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
How much drilling? All my old style Silverado reg. cabs - 1976 to 2004 had the side mounted spare tire. Not an option today and it looks difficult to install one on my 2016 Silverado - too much angle between bed and side rail. Definitely hate the under bed tire carrier - try changing on a muddy road on a cold rainy nite, not to mention loss of ground clearance.

I'm following your thread to get some ideas on how to install on my Silverado reg. cab. Thanks for posting this thread.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
How much drilling? All my old style Silverado reg. cabs - 1976 to 2004 had the side mounted spare tire. Not an option today and it looks difficult to install one on my 2016 Silverado - too much angle between bed and side rail. Definitely hate the under bed tire carrier - try changing on a muddy road on a cold rainy nite, not to mention loss of ground clearance.

I'm following your thread to get some ideas on how to install on my Silverado reg. cab. Thanks for posting this thread.
I put a piece of 1/4" wall 1-1/2" stainless angle behind the lip of the bed with another piece going down that was welded to the cross angle so it's face would be in the same plane as the bed face [ offset about 1/2" out from the piece behind the lip ]. The vertical angle ended just before the bed wall started to radius to the bed floor. I put a 3/4" nylon block between this angle and the wall, and bolted it near the bottom thru the bed wall with 5/6" bolts [brass, did not have long enough round head stainless, round heads used to protect the tire ]. The top angle was bolted thru the lip with 1/4-20 stainless torx bolts I had from some plumbing tear apart years ago. So, four holes. We used to bolt thru the floor on 8' truck beds, but you have to work with what you have as the bed gets smaller. Mine is an extended cab long bed, and I don't know how you would do a shorter bed..

·
Registered
282 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.