Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to see if the ZR2 skidplates would work on my 2017 LT 2.8 CCLB.

Im sure that the superskidz are a great product and they look bomber but I wanted to experiment. I got both front skid plates from GM parts direct (no affiliation just the cheapest I could find). For both it was $220 shipped.:smile2:

I crawled under the truck and ripped the stock plastic "sheild" and diff guard off.

The rear skid plate that goes under the diff and oil pan bolted up quickly in existing holes.

I held the front skid plate up and started marking. I had previously removed the air dam so only had the bottom of the bumper to contend with but as you will see you can make it work with the air dam on too. I mad some marks and started trimming. The Skid is aluminum and so I used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade then cleaned up the cuts with a flapper disk on a 4" grinder.

Made the initial marks then started cutting.

Got the first cuts done and there were still some areas of contact. Cut some more. There are brackets on the bumper either side of the crossmember the skid bolts to that are in the way of the "wings". I didn't feel I needed the wings so they were cut off and notched around the brackets.

The "nose" of the skid can go up and in the bumper after you cut off the wings but this complicates installation and removal so I cut off a portion of that as well. I left a little of the nose which has a bend to add strength to the front (not needed as there is a cross member there).

All cleaned up it looks and fits great. Installation is easy on and off but I shouldn't need to take it off unless Im tearing up the front end.

You can take more care to keep it shiny but it came with scratches from shipping and I plan on scratching it more so didn't worry about the added rub marks from cutting.

So, it can be done in about an hour of cutting with common tools. Pics attached of the process and installed. There are 2 extra bolts from the disassembly so those can be used at the rear of the rear skid...bonus not having to buy bolts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Good looking set up but I have to admit, those plates look on the flimsy side. Pictures are deceiving though.
As for the Super Skids, those feel and look like they could take gunshots and still survive.

But again, nice job. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
you forgot to list the part numbers for those of us wondering >:):nerd:

Reactions: Gage-Desoto

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
How bad did it push against the front before cutting?

Someone else installed the zr2 skid plate already but they left the front of the skid intact.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Fun project but for $35 more, no cutting and an access panel to change the oil without having to drop the whole skid, Ill stick with the Superskidz :wink2:

BTW Im moving this to the "How-To" section since you did such a good job with detailed pics on how to duplicate for others :grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Fun project but for $35 more, no cutting and an access panel to change the oil without having to drop the whole skid, Ill stick with the Superskidz :wink2:
:grin2:
Not to mention, the Superskidz ones are much thicker......plus it supports the owner of this site. :grin2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries on the superskidz I just don't need that heavy duty, I explore not wheel. These are ~3/16 vs the superskidz 1/4" aluminum.

The part numbers are:

It was <$220 for both shipped.

There is a hole in the rear skid for draining the oil. I don't know about the V6 but the diesel oil filter is accessed from the top so no dropping of plates for oil changes. I would have to drop the original skid for front diff changes, so no change there.

The nose of the skid, for me, went inside the bumper not outside before I cut it off. I didn't try it on the outside.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good looking set up but I have to admit, those plates look on the flimsy side. Pictures are deceiving though.
As for the Super Skids, those feel and look like they could take gunshots and still survive.

But again, nice job. :wink2:
pretty hard to say without actually testing both skids under mechanical deformation, but maybe.

That is unfortunate you had to trim so much. I was really hoping these would just bolt up 100% to the previous models.

·
Registered
721 Posts
It looks like he took off the bumper brackets and the license plate holder. Looks good!! I wanted a more discrete/factory install but that can work for others.
Absolutely. Fully agree with you. Happen to find the thread and thought someone might be interested and if they were not as handy, it presents another option. If/when I do it, it will be somewhere in between. While I don't mind the skid plate showing, some contouring will happen. At the very least some trimming to match the Z71 lines a bit better.

Reactions: great08

·
Registered
173 Posts
Which part number is the oil pan skid? I don't need the front.

No worries on the superskidz I just don't need that heavy duty, I explore not wheel. These are ~3/16 vs the superskidz 1/4" aluminum.

The part numbers are:

There is a hole in the rear skid for draining the oil. I don't know about the V6 but the diesel oil filter is accessed from the top so no dropping of plates for oil changes. I would have to drop the original skid for front diff changes, so no change there.

The nose of the skid, for me, went inside the bumper not outside before I cut it off. I didn't try it on the outside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any chance for a more wide shot showing the truck with the plates installed? Like basically how it would look from the street (not showing detail)? Have been considering this same thing, and this may have peaked my interest to do it...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Not to mention, the Superskidz ones are much thicker......plus it supports the owner of this site. :grin2:
Both are 3/16", below is the details of the Superskidz

Black Powder Coated
Alloy: Aluminum
Grade: 5052
Thickness: 3/16
Strengthen/shaped: 140 ton cold annealed parabolic harden
Shaped: LASER cut
Excellent corrosion resistance
Ribbed for extra strength
SuperSkisz is well proven in the field for over 12 years

pretty hard to say without actually testing both skids under mechanical deformation, but maybe.

That is unfortunate you had to trim so much. I was really hoping these would just bolt up 100% to the previous models.
I would agree, hard to say without a direct comparison.

The part numbers are:

If the ZR2 plate are in fact $220 for both 1 & 2 that is actually a bargain.

Also, @Owyhee H is saying "There is a hole in the rear skid for draining the oil" & it looks like its kind of open in the area of the engine drain plug. This could be good & bad, open means less potential protection, but is the area that's open a area that very likely to see abuse, or is out of the way & leaving it open will just provide easier access to change oil with minimal loss of protection?

I did hear of a few complaints on the Superskidz #2 plate, the cutout for access to drain the oil on the gassers was initially not large enough & when you went to change oil it shot so far out the pan that it hit the skid and made a mess. Apparently James & the manufacture are aware of the issue & will be modifying the trap door. This may be already done, but I haven't had confirmation of that.

In any case, its good to see there are multiple options out there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would like to add a little information to this thread.

1. The factory ZR2 skid plates are 1/8" aluminum. I got out my caliper and checked.
2. These skid plates can be fitted to 2015/2016 trucks with a little additional work.

In addition to the cutting described above for the front skid plate, 2 holes need to be drilled into the proper frame cross member. There are openings in the frame members that would allow for nuts to be used inside the frame cross members on the bolts to hold the rear skid in place. This would, however take some finesse. I chose to use 10M rivnuts which worked out nicely along with giving me a good workout with the rivnut tool.

If you already have the Superskidz #1, modifications can be made to accommodate the ZR2 rear skid plate setup also. In addition to the 2 holes drilled into the frame cross member 2 holes will need to be drilled into the front of the factory ZR2 rear skid plate to attach the Superskidz #1 which originally attached to the power steering skid plate. The power steering skid plate is removed when installing the ZR2 rear skid plate. Once again I chose to use 10M rivnuts in the ZR2 rear skid plate but nuts can be used with a little finesse. Two additional 10M bolts and two 3/8" x 1.5" flat washers were required to complete the installation.

I was able to pickup the rear ZR2 skid plate for $60 + $20 shipping. The misc parts (rivnuts, bolts, washers) probably added another $10 at most. I will likely have the skid plate powder coated black so it doesn't stick out like a soar thumb. I don't have a cost on that yet.

Although using the rear ZR2 skid plate is nowhere near as robust as the Superskidz #2 (Superskidz is thicker and offers a wider protection zone) it provided for me that little extra piece of mind while still being able to very easily access the oil drain plug. I also don't currently have a desire to install Superskidz #3 and #4. I think those are overkill for how I use my truck.

-Curtiss

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.