Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, some dumbass rear ended my month old zr2 while I was at a red light and put a crease in the rear bumper. I figure I should use that lemon and make lemonade by taking the insurance money and go aftermarket. I’m looking for a bumper that allows me to access the tow hitch and looks great. Looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well, some dumbass rear ended my month old zr2 while I was at a red light and put a crease in the rear bumper. I figure I should use that lemon and make lemonade by taking the insurance money and go aftermarket. I’m looking for a bumper that allows me to access the tow hitch and looks great. Looking for suggestions.
I'm probably in the same boat. Except I'm the the dumbass.

Reactions: Montucky

·
Registered
721 Posts
Saw those. Now to justify it to the Minister of Finance....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I’m gonna go with the fab fours with the step. I can’t tell from the pics if the stock trailer receiver is still usable or not, just gotta wait for the insurance money to show up.

·
Registered
444 Posts
So, from what I have been able to find, there are a few companies that make rear bumpers for these trucks, but there's not a lot of information about them.

Addictive Desert Designs Honeybadger

Fab Fours Premium

Fab Fours Vengeance

Black Horse Armour

N-Fab Pre-Runner RBS

Hammerhead Armor

Hammerhead Armor Flush Mount

Rogue Racing Products Revolver

Expedition One

Motor City Aftermarket Rear Bumper

Motor City Aftermarket Dual Exhaust Rear Bumper

This isn't a complete list, of course, but there are options other than the ADD and FabFours bumpers. There are supposedly options from Body Armor (Eco Series), and Spec-D as well, but I couldn't find any info on them further than what CarID has on their site.

I'm in a similar boat, but different situation. Some guy changed lanes without looking (or signaling) and hit the back of my truck, then lied to the cops about it. Without any witnesses, he is getting away with it, and I am having to use my insurance to pay for it (listed as not-at-fault). So, in an effort to save money from my portion (the deductible), I am hoping I can find a decent rear bumper that doesn't need paint, and that I can install myself (saving paint and labor time).

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
The Fab Four does in fact fit directly in place with the stock trailer hitch.
While when I did mine I did not have the stock hitch, I have since added it and it went right on, no modifications or tweaking.

Again, this pic is from before the hitch but I assure you, it bolts right on. Heed my warnings in my HOW TO though....that things heavy and requires 2 people to install so that you dont scratch the paint but overall, the install it plain as day.

PS, all specs are in this post as well (weight difference, height differences, etc) :nerd:
http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-...8-fab-four-vengeance-bumper-installation.html

Reactions: weasel1

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
$3,200 for a front and rear bumper from ADD, No Thanks...I like them but not that much,

Reactions: alanp970

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m finding that after having the tailgate down and getting in/out of the bed the built in step is a must. Fab fours has the step and clean look I like so as soon as I get the insurance money I will get it. The damage to the current bumper is barely noticeable so to eBay it will go.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another option is to wait and see if AEV actually builds the one they showed off a sema:

ADD also has ZR2 bumpers: Shop 2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Parts & Accessories

AEV really gets the front bumper design for a ZR2. See how how the front of the truck is rounded below the headlights? All these angular front bumpers are never going to look quite right because the front bumper design needs to be fairly close in arc to that piece. AEV's has that nice curved look (actually it's fairly straight but it follows that piece nicely). That's why it just looks right. Anyone designing a Colorado bumper really needs to consider that if they want something to look like it belongs there.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
I’m finding that after having the tailgate down and getting in/out of the bed the built in step is a must. Fab fours has the step and clean look I like so as soon as I get the insurance money I will get it. The damage to the current bumper is barely noticeable so to eBay it will go.
Just make sure you have a good hook tool to get that damn ring off the back. Also, something I didn't make note of when I did the HOW TO for these bumpers...... have some RTV silicone for the trailer plug and spare tire thingamajigs. The thickness of the stock bumper versus the Fab Four is at least twice as thick thus, the stock pressure clips on those 2 items will not fully engage when you press them in. Yet here is it a year and a half later and mine have not moved a millimeter.

PS....Im in North Jersey too so if you get jammed up, or want to see it in person, just give me a shout. :wink2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just make sure you have a good hook tool to get that damn ring off the back. Also, something I didn't make note of when I did the HOW TO for these bumpers...... have some RTV silicone for the trailer plug and spare tire thingamajigs. The thickness of the stock bumper versus the Fab Four is at least twice as thick thus, the stock pressure clips on those 2 items will not fully engage when you press them in. Yet here is it a year and a half later and mine have not moved a millimeter.

PS....Im in North Jersey too so if you get jammed up, or want to see it in person, just give me a shout. :wink2:
Thanks, I may take you up on that. I have to run to the airport twice tomorrow so if you are gonna be around I will swing by to see it. I’ll pm you my number.

·
Registered
3 Posts
May be a dumb question but haven't seen many Colorados around my area so haven't had a chance to compare body styles up close except for pics online. I have a GMC canyon so is there anything different when installing the Fab Fours bumper on my truck? Any clearance issues? The rear end on these trucks look about the same so I'd imagine most parts are interchangable.

·
Registered
444 Posts
May be a dumb question but haven't seen many Colorados around my area so haven't had a chance to compare body styles up close except for pics online. I have a GMC canyon so is there anything different when installing the Fab Fours bumper on my truck? Any clearance issues? The rear end on these trucks look about the same so I'd imagine most parts are interchangable.
No difference at all between the Canyon and Colorado for the rear bumper.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.