Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a thread for the parts being developed for the ZR2 by Chevrolet Performance together with Hall Racing and other collaborations.

SEMA is going on right now and the Hall racing ZR2 that they raced in the Reno to Nevada off road is on display with all the parts that
Rall Racing and Chevrolet Performance have developed for the truck and intend to sell through Chevy dealers.

Info and video:

Haularado: Colorado ZR2 Makes Fast Friends With Chevrolet Performance

There's quite a nice list of parts that have been developed and will be available.
Not the lease of which are:
* Longer travel and revalved DSSV Multimatics
* Upgraded leaf springs
It appears this will provide a suspension lift done correctly to allow for 34 or 35" tires.
*Hydraulic jounce shocks. Or as I call them nitrogen bump stop dampers.
* Anti wrap around
* High misalignment ball joints
* Wheel spacers
* Body lift
* Rear shock and differential skids
ETC...

The Haul truck has a 1.5" body lift.
I noted that the GM representative in the video stated that all the parts are made to be bolt on.

I'm pumped about this. It's going to add a lot of options for everyone to optimize the truck for their application.

Let's hear what you guys think and please post up any info, photos, video's you find.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a video of a Chevrolet Performance guy giving a great walk around and description of the parts being developed by Chevy Performance and Hall Racing.

This is the Chevy Racing Development Truck with the parts that Hall Racing is using on their Race truck. All the parts are designed to be bolt on, no customization/welding.

::chevy::

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ditto

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Do want it all.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I wonder what the leafs and revalved shocks would give up for those of us that don't do high speed desert running type stuff. I'd love to have longer travel for more articulation off road, but wouldn't want to give up any of the phenomenal lower speed rock crawling performance and control it has now. Also wouldn't want to lose the load control with cargo or towing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I wonder what the leafs and revalved shocks would give up for those of us that don't do high speed desert running type stuff. I'd love to have longer travel for more articulation off road, but wouldn't want to give up any of the phenomenal lower speed rock crawling performance and control it has now. Also wouldn't want to lose the load control with cargo or towing.

@markhs2 and I were discussing this last night...he talked to Chad Hall on the phone and supposedly the front springs are much stiffer. I would think this would adversely effect articulation for crawling. The rears with leafs like that are usually softer (deaver springs at least), but not sure what GM did with these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@markhs2 and I were discussing this last night...he talked to Chad Hall on the phone and supposedly the front springs are much stiffer. I would think this would adversely effect articulation for crawling. The rears with leafs like that are usually softer (deaver springs at least), but not sure what GM did with these.
Just to be as clear as possible. When I asked Chad Hall about the modified Multimatics he said they were longer but didn't disclose how much longer. He said they were revalved for higher rate springs to cope with the racing. He didn't disclose how much higher the rate was.

In the video I posted above, the Chevy racing development guy doing the walk around is asked what the travel increase is for the modified Mulitmatics is. His answer is he didn't want to say because it's not been finalized.
My guess is that this may change as Hall Racing competes in more races and does more testing.

Like you guys I'm interested to know how the modified Multimatics will perform for low speed and rock crawling.

As we know the serious desert racing machines actually have a very compliant and not overly stiff suspension to cope with the hits and terrain they encounter.

This hopefully points to the modified Mulitmatics having more travel and being very compliant for both applications.
It's all in the design and engineering.
We are lucky in that Multimatic is a top notch company in this area and Chevy Performance Development with Haul Racing is in it to get it right cause that's what sells.

BTW the Ford GT is built by Multimatic

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yes, my fear would be the springs wouod be too stiff for low speed technical wheeling. The serious dessert racers do have very soft suspensions, but they also have way more travel than even the Hall truck. With the extreme long travel, you can have softer springs and rely more on shock damping because you have a longer distance to absorb and decelerate the impact over. In comparison, even Hall's "long travel" ZR2 is pretty short travel, and would need to be stiffer than the true long travel set ups like on a trophy truck.

It would be awesome of they would also offer a longer travel version tuned like the stock set up as well as this race tuned version.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It would be awesome of they would also offer a longer travel version tuned like the stock set up as well as this race tuned version.

Yes yes yes yes yes

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The stock tuning is just a phenomenal balance of on road handling and performance, low speed crawling and control, and well above average high speed ability.

I think the market would be much bigger for people wanting to keep these traits as they are, with the ability to lift the truck higher for better clearance and bigger tires, than for people wanting to desert race their trucks.

The high speed, big air, jumping ability is really cool, but I think in reality, that type of usage will be vey low in the real world by real truck owners compared to the daily driver serious weekend wheeler types.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The stock tuning is just a phenomenal balance of on road handling and performance, low speed crawling and control, and well above average high speed ability.

I think the market would be much bigger for people wanting to keep these traits as they are, with the ability to lift the truck higher for better clearance and bigger tires, than for people wanting to desert race their trucks.

The high speed, big air, jumping ability is really cool, but I think in reality, that type of usage will be vey low in the real world by real truck owners compared to the daily driver serious weekend wheeler types.

Absolutely, I'm in complete agreement with you and G2SKIER.

I do think and am hoping however that the Spool Valve technology of the Multimatics as opposed to the traditional shim stack dampers will allow unique tuning for stiffer speed rates and yet remain or even improve on the low speed and crawling compliance.
I say this because the Multimatics on the ZR2, from what I've read, have three distinct and separate spool valves for the demands from on road to off road. Therefore it would seem that one spool valve could be tuned differently without adversely effecting the other two.

This is the strength of these dampers as opposed to the traditional configuration on everything else and is why they are used very successful in many classes of racing including F1.

This is the input Chevrolet Performance needs to see.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Could a guy use the spool valves in the original DSSV's in the GMPP version? Longer travel with original dampening, the spring is the only X factor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a forewarning guys, Chevy just released the pricing on the ZL1 1LE DSSVs for people interested in adding them to their SS or ZL1 Camaro and just for the shocks is $7000!!! So if this "kit" for the upgraded ZR2 suspension does become available it's probably going to be close to $10k, if not more.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If it ends up costing anywhere near that, Kings and bajakits arms are in my future

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.