Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this has been asked but will give it a try. Has anyone put all season tires on there ZR2 to see if the ride has a smoother ride quality and if so which brands have been tested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Some one on here put some Firestone Destination AT's on and said it was quieter and smoother.

That is my over all go to tire.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Following.

I am in the process of finding a tire that fits my needs.

1: Lighter than OEM ZR2 tires
2: Excellent snow and rain performance
3: Quieter

I will never rock climb but value the ability to go off-road if an emergency arises.

In the end, good every day tire with great snow performance. Would love to shake some unsprung weight too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Threw on some bf advantage t/a sport lt this week.

I drive a lot of miles, the oem tires were just going to get scrubbed away for no reason.

Have a mounter, balancer and some sets of dealer takeoff z71 wheels, and all the tools for easy tire changes. I usually do multiple changes a week on other vehicles due to frequent autox.

Plan is to mount the duratracs on a set to swap when neeeded, and dd on something tar friendly.

We drove about 200 miles today on the bfs, wife made a comment that she would be fine with the diesel zr2 as a dd instead of her gti. Generally she hates my vehicles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm interested in hearing your reasoning for buying the ZR2 if you're looking for a more road-friendly ride. Please don't take offense; I did the exact same thing. But I thought I was the only person on here who bought my ZR2 with zero intention of ever taking it off pavement. So I'd love to hear other non-rock-crawling owner's reasons for choosing the ZR2 over some of the other options like the Denali.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm interested in hearing your reasoning for buying the ZR2 if you're looking for a more road-friendly ride. Please don't take offense; I did the exact same thing. But I thought I was the only person on here who bought my ZR2 with zero intention of ever taking it off pavement. So I'd love to hear other non-rock-crawling owner's reasons for choosing the ZR2 over some of the other options like the Denali.

For me I like the way it looked the first time I saw it when it was just a concept. The other reason I like it was due to the 60mile round trip every night for work and still get the same gas mileage that my 2012 Chevy Cruze gets on the same route. I’m currently getting 500 miles per tank at 70mph avg. I think with my next mod I’ll be driving this till it runs no more. I’m thinking if I go to more of a highway tire, I might get even better gas mileage. That would be a good thread to see what people are getting for gas mileage based on just a DD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Reactions: Hunter62

·
Registered
125 Posts
No offense taken.

Waited until the end of the model year to find a Diesel Colorado and all that was left (locally) was the ZR2. To be fair, the multimattics were also a key selling point. They provide car like performance and eliminate the bounce after a high speed bump.

The ZR2 also had a factory spray liner and leather that would have been an additional cost.

Locking differentials are a bonus if needed (in a SHTF scenario)

So in the end, all I didn’t want was the tires and sliders (would prefer steps). Easier to delete those items than take a Z71 and add stuff.

Small displacement Diesel is soooo good. I was caught a little off guard by all the emissions crap but that can go after warranty has expired.

To be clear - the tires are fine-ish but their aggressive style makes me feel like a poser. Getting back a little mileage and a quieter ride while being more true to my nature is worth it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
For me I like the way it looked the first time I saw it when it was just a concept. The other reason I like it was due to the 60mile round trip every night for work and still get the same gas mileage that my 2012 Chevy Cruze gets on the same route. I’m currently getting 500 miles per tank at 70mph avg. I think with my next mod I’ll be driving this till it runs no more. I’m thinking if I go to more of a highway tire, I might get even better gas mileage. That would be a good thread to see what people are getting for gas mileage based on just a DD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I forgot to mention, you should observe a 1-2+mpg difference swapping to a highway all-season like those listed above. You'll also see better wet and dry traction, braking, handling, comfort, less noise etc. The only benefits you get with the Duratrac are all when off-road except for the amazing appearance. ;)

For example Tires and Fuel Economy - Four Wheeler Magazine

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to mention, you should observe a 1-2+mpg difference swapping to a highway all-season like those listed above. You'll also see better wet and dry traction, braking, handling, comfort, less noise etc. The only benefits you get with the Duratrac are all when off-road except for the amazing appearance. ;)

For example Tires and Fuel Economy - Four Wheeler Magazine

Yeah I hear ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Was originally planning on the pirelli scorpion verde till reading the higher mile reviews on tirerack, seems like theyre only good for about 20k and numerous noise complaints at higher miles. figured would gamble on the bf adv sport based off the non lt version feedback

Re multimatics, drove a run at autox today in a z28, it was amazing, and i own a set of penskes and jrzs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
... ZR2. To be fair, the multimattics were also a key selling point. They provide car like performance and eliminate the bounce after a high speed bump.
I've noticed that the ZR2 shocks permit driving over bumpy railroad crossings faster and with less bone jarring than ordinary shock absorbers.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you have no intention of playing in rocks and mud I'd swap to the Michelin LTX, Continental CrossContact LX20, or Pirreli Scorpion Verde. The Bridestone Dueler gets good ratings on Consumer Reports too. One of these wil end up on our new CRV.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surv...ratio=65&diameter=17&tireSearch=true&filter=y
I have not tested them in the snow yet, but take a look at the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015. They have impressed me in cool wet weather.

They are not nearly as aggressive as the Duratrac. They are very smooth and quiet on the highway, and still cary the winter snowflake symbol.

·
Registered
244 Posts
... ZR2. To be fair, the multimattics were also a key selling point. They provide car like performance and eliminate the bounce after a high speed bump.
I've noticed that the ZR2 shocks permit driving over bumpy railroad crossings faster and with less bone jarring than ordinary shock absorbers.
I've notice this with speed bumps to lol

Reactions: parnass
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.