Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm curios as to why? The rear locker will work anytime, offroad mode needs to be used for speeds above a certain amount (Can't remember what off the top of my head). The front will only engage in 4lo. I don't think I want the front locked if I'm going faster than 4lo will allow.

Reactions: lurchskii

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm curios as to why? The rear locker will work anytime, offroad mode needs to be used for speeds above a certain amount (Can't remember what off the top of my head). The front will only engage in 4lo. I don't think I want the front locked if I'm going faster than 4lo will allow.
Rear locker will work in 2WD?? I'm guessing not.....probably only in 4WD.

A lot of the tacoma guys (on 2nd gen trucks) figured out how to bypass the locker so they could use it in 2WD.

Having full access isn't new....and certainly not a bad idea. As long as you know how to use the lockers wisely.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Rear works during 2wd normal driving below 30 mph if you activate it. Off-road mode allows you to use it at any speed in 2 wheel drive. Front needs 4 low engaged to be activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yes, rear works in 2wd. Front only works in 4 low, and only if the rear is engaged. That would be they only thing I could see possibly changing. There could be a rare case where you're trying to limp out and have a broken rear axle or rear diff, and could need the front engaged but don't want to engage the rear to avoid further damage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Rear works during 2wd normal driving below 30 mph if you activate it. Off-road mode allows you to use it at any speed in 2 wheel drive. Front needs 4 low engaged to be activated.

Wow, that's surprising actually...... impressive that they set it up that way.
Kudos to GM!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had several trucks with lockers front and rear in the past, several Tacoma's actually. There are times when you need to disengage the rear and only lock the front. Having both lockers engaged can make the truck slide off side hill maneuvers in snow and mud. You lose a lot of steering capabilities when all 4 tires are locked in the same direction, sometimes you need the traction of a front locker and rear to be a little more flexible. The normal stuff it will work great the way they designed it but, I think I can see a simple mod here that would have some benefits for my style.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Let's just install a twin stick t case!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Let's just install a twin stick t case!

That's the one thing we didn't do in our jeep. Believe me......we talked about it but never pulled the trigger. Atlas all the way.... We had a friend of ours who had an Atlas and he'd spank us everytime.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'm sure someone will figure this out before long, and it should be fairly simple. But I'm going to bet that it will have to be done by bypassing the factory switch and wiring it to a separate switch. I know this was the case with the H2s and H3s. The reason being the factory switches aren't actually just a switch, but are run through the PCM, which makes sure all the parameters are met to activate it. In this case, that it's in low range, and the rear locker is already engaged. There no way to use the factory switch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
That's the one thing we didn't do in our jeep. Believe me......we talked about it but never pulled the trigger. Atlas all the way.... We had a friend of ours who had an Atlas and he'd spank us everytime.

My buddy has one in a 450hp yj on 37s. Crazy capabilities.

The reason begging they factory switches aren't actually just a switch, but are run through the PCM

Damn modern stuff ruining all the fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.