Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Today, I installed a new set of Goodyear DuraTrac tires on my truck (same model as stock for the ZR2), but two sizes up. The new tire size is LT285/70R17. The stock size is a 265/65R17.

UPDATE: I have heard twice over several days a very small hint of tire rub when the wheels are at a particular angle and hitting an especially hard bump while slowing down. When I bounced her in the sand, steering turned, I heard nothing. The place where I've heard it twice now is the entrance to the supermarket near my house; it's especially steep and hits hard. It has scars and drag marks from all the Hondas and other small, low cars dragging their air dams and frames (these are hard gouges). Anyway, that particular spot has an especially abrupt angle. When I've heard it, it wasn't pronounced and had me wondering if I heard something .. but twice in the same place means I heard something. I haven't seen any evidence of tire rub in the wheel well yet. I keep the tires fully-inflated at 60psi for road use (65psi is their max rating).

Goodyear calls this a "33.0" inch tire; however, if you put the metric measurements into a tire calculator, the actual number is slightly less at 32.7 inches. The stock "31.0" inch tires are also 30.6 inches. The 2.1-inch difference in diameter between the new and old tire sizes yields a 1-inch height increase to the truck. The tires look like they fit the wheel well better. The extra tire width is negligible and the tires DO fit inside the wheel well from side to side.

If anything, the truck looks less tall because there's less visible open space in the wheel well. It can look less tall, but the new tires to do look impressive.

I've experienced no rubbing yet, and I've taken several fast corners to load (compress) the suspension while in a turn. With the wheels turned to the closest point (of near contact) there's about half of an inch of clearance or slightly more .... eyeballing it. I've got a Rough Country 1.25-inch body lift I'll be installing soon. That will help the clearance issue just slightly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm halfway done with the Rough Country 1.25 body lift. It's looking good!! Just gotta finish up the bed and rear bumper. The roofline sits even with a Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition. Photos tomorrow morning with the tires and lift!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Have you read the articles about not lifting a ZR2? The multimatics weren't designed for the extra height.
It would have been great to have some off road reports of any rubbing under some serious compression and turning. Swapping tires for an extra inch of ground clearance would be worth it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, I mentioned in another thread you have to do some plastic work to keep 33s from rubbing when wheeling but not a ton. It is super close in the back when fully stuffed as well but ok. Really curious to see how much the lift helps. May fix it alogether. I spent all day wheeling today and I have to do just a little more plastic work.

So Rough Country says on their site that the body lift will not fit the ZR2...are you having any issues? I am wanting to do the same.

I really don't think such a small body lift will effect the suspion enough to matter, really curious how it works out!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Plus ca change...

The first lift available for the original ZR2s was a body lift, since the aftermarket had to catch up to making lifts, and the max tire size was 33s.

Fitting, I'd say.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Stoked to see guys putting 33"s on the ZR2 without too much grief. Still an issue with the round peg in a square hole, but at least they fit.

Reactions: Joedude

·
Registered
596 Posts
So 32s would fit without rubbing, even when stuffed? I'd like to get a little more ground clearance, but don't want to lift the truck even higher.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm halfway done with the Rough Country 1.25 body lift. It's looking good!! Just gotta finish up the bed and rear bumper. The roofline sits even with a Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition. Photos tomorrow morning with the tires and lift!
How did this turn out? Any issues with fitting on the ZR2?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Have you read the articles about not lifting a ZR2? The multimatics weren't designed for the extra height.
It would have been great to have some off road reports of any rubbing under some serious compression and turning. Swapping tires for an extra inch of ground clearance would be worth it.
Yes, but he's doing a body lift, not the suspension. So the shocks won't be affected at all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pics or it didn't happen

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Here ya go!

These pics are with the Goodyear DuraTracs (LT285/70R17) and the 1.25" Rough Country body lift installed (except for the rear bumper because I ran out of daylight -- it's sitting at the original height and will be remedied tomorrow).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
That looks great! But it looks like with the wheel turned and stuffed it would hit?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used a body lift, not a suspension lift, so the Multimatic DSSV (super duper shocks) are still in place using the 100% stock, unmodified suspension. I realize a lot of people frown on the idea of a body lift as a "cheap" way of "cheating," but I'll be damned if I change anything about the beautifully designed an executed suspension system of the ZR2. It's really, really good on the highway and off-road. I will, however, raise the body up a tad to get a little more wheel-well clearance and give just a slight hint of an increase in height.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did this turn out? Any issues with fitting on the ZR2?
The Rough Country body lift needed a sliiiight modification, or you might say an omission. Their instructions aren't super clear and the black-and-white photos aren't the best, but they get the job done.

Everything went fine with the exception of two brackets included in the kit that I did not use. They were designed for the other Colorado with the full front fascia with air dam. The entire front bumper of the ZR2 is different from the others (as you know), and so I omitted those brackets as there was nowhere for them to fit into. Also, the ZR2 had similar brackets in place but due to the raising of the front bumper those brackets interfered with the front crossmember below the radiator. I removed those stock brackets using a Torx T15 driver (3 screws each bracket, with a left and a right bracket installed). Without the brackets, the plastic still seems very strong in my opinion, and is covered by wind by the front skid plate anyway. I'm sure the engineers had a good reason for including those pieces, but the plastic really, really did seem sturdy there.

What's really nice about the ZR2 is that the rock sliders (the side bars, if you will) are attached to the body, so when you install the body lift, they rise with it. Very cool. No gap. Also, because of this, when installing the kit, the rock sliders extend behind the cab and under the bed. Be careful when lifting the cab (which is done prior to lifting the bed) that you don't raise the rock slider into the bottom of the bed. You can remove the rock slider or loosen the bed bolts on that side a lot (until almost falling out) so that when you lift the cab with the rock slider, the rock slider can gently lift the front of the bed with it. It doesn't lift much ... it's not all 1.25 inches of the lift kit. Maybe a 1/4 inch.

Otherwise, the kit works great! Like I said, the only deviations were at the front fascia (below the bumper) because ours are shaped differently, and I omitted their Rough Country brackets, and removed the stock ones due to interference. I'll take a pic later and upload it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks great! But it looks like with the wheel turned and stuffed it would hit?

I bounced it pretty hard last night off some hills with the wheels turned and I didn't hear a thing. Maybe if I bounce it harder (and that's a big maybe), it might rub at some point. With the wheels straight, I'd say there's no chance of touching.

I got my inspiration from watching a YouTube video about the ZR2 where the GM team made their own custom ZR2 chase vehicle for the demo trucks they gave to reporters. They mentioned 33" tires and a 1-inch body lift. I put on these 32.7" tires and gave it a 1.25" body lift. It works so far.

I haven't jumped it yet, but there's always tomorrow. Hahaha!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Very nice looking truck! Did you happen to take any before and aft measurements?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bounced it pretty hard last night off some hills with the wheels turned and I didn't hear a thing. Maybe if I bounce it harder (and that's a big maybe), it might rub at some point. With the wheels straight, I'd say there's no chance of touching.

I got my inspiration from watching a YouTube video about the ZR2 where the GM team made their own custom ZR2 chase vehicle for the demo trucks they gave to reporters. They mentioned 33" tires and a 1-inch body lift. I put on these 32.7" tires and gave it a 1.25" body lift. It works so far.

I haven't jumped it yet, but there's always tomorrow. Hahaha!
This doesn't work with the Duramax, does it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here ya go!

These pics are with the Goodyear DuraTracs (LT285/70R17) and the 1.25" Rough Country body lift installed (except for the rear bumper because I ran out of daylight -- it's sitting at the original height and will be remedied tomorrow).

So did I miss something, how do the tow hooks end up in the stock holes? Aren't they mounted to the frame rails?

·
Registered
276 Posts
So did I miss something, how do the tow hooks end up in the stock holes? Aren't they mounted to the frame rails?

In the stock setup the tow hooks are curved down. With the body lift they are reinstalled curving up.

1 - 20 of 467 Posts