Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet. Feel free to delete or merge this thread if it has been posted already. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That's a decent and legit review......

I can relate to the things he mentioned based on my ownership of a 2007 Tacoma. I drove the new Tacoma and it didn't feel any different than my old one. The Tacoma options are extremely lacking compared to the Colly/Canny.

At this point in time - after 1.5 years of Canny ownership, I'm very happy!! My only concern with this Canny, is reliability.

Yes - I've owned and been around Toyotas all my life and they've always been reliable and never let me down. Their quality seems to be slipping a bit - including the frame rust (of which, my 2007 had the frame replaced for free).
I'd buy a Toyota again, no doubt.

The main reasons why I went with the Canyon - was because of all the options it has over the Tacoma. I hope this Canyon can impress me for many years to come.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
That's a decent and legit review......

I can relate to the things he mentioned based on my ownership of a 2007 Tacoma. I drove the new Tacoma and it didn't feel any different than my old one. The Tacoma options are extremely lacking compared to the Colly/Canny.

At this point in time - after 1.5 years of Canny ownership, I'm very happy!! My only concern with this Canny, is reliability.

Yes - I've owned and been around Toyotas all my life and they've always been reliable and never let me down. Their quality seems to be slipping a bit - including the frame rust (of which, my 2007 had the frame replaced for free).
I'd buy a Toyota again, no doubt.

The main reasons why I went with the Canyon - was because of all the options it has over the Tacoma. I hope this Canyon can impress me for many years to come.
This is probably because when designing the new one Toyota asked the aftermarket for guidance on what to change. The number 1 thing they asked was NOT to change the suspension mounting, so that existing suspension options, coilover kits, etc. would not need to be redesigned. Toyota listened and the aftermarket was happy as they didnt need to to any work and were able to sell to that market ASAP. However that also resulted in what you experienced, the same ol' same ol' Tacoma feel

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
This is probably because when designing the new one Toyota asked the aftermarket for guidance on what to change. The number 1 thing they asked was NOT to change the suspension mounting, so that existing suspension options, coilover kits, etc. would not need to be redesigned. Toyota listened and the aftermarket was happy as they didnt need to to any work and were able to sell to that market ASAP. However that also resulted in what you experienced, the same ol' same ol' Tacoma feel
If there is one "selling feature" to the Taco, this is it. The installed base is so large, the aftermarket so robust, that you can probably find almost anything you want in either the aftermarket or salvage yard, except maybe for the frame itself...they all seem to have rusted away.

I really would love to drive a diesel Twin, I just am not sure I want to give up the response of my V6. Horsepower or torque - what do I want? Doesn't matter, I will probably not replace my truck until the new model is released in a few years. And at my age, that may be the last truck I ever buy. After that, I got my eye on a really swift zero turn radius wheelchair.

I am half-heartedly interested in the new Wrangler to see how quickly the aftermarket support fills up. The real interesting thing will be to see how the first year Wrangler sales play out, since Jeep plans to make the old & new versions at the same time as they ramp up production. Might be a surprise to see people snap up new JK versions before they are discontinued if the new version gets rejected. From a marketing standpoint, there is so much that could be learned from the Wrangler rollout.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The aftermarket world doesn't have anything to do with it.

It's been the same suspension setup since the 1st gen truck - started in 1995.5. It's typical IFS .... That saves them money and more profits becuase they dont' have to redesign it.

They haven't had to change much of anything because people keep buying them. So why would they? It's a cash cow.....

At some point, if their sales ever start dropping and the competitors are catching up...... then, they'll have to do something to compete.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I want to believe that a manufacturer would consider the aftermarket, but in my opinion, if Toyota actually listened to either the aftermarket or their customers, some of us might be driving diesel Tacomas right now instead of Twins.

Toyota Chief Engineer: "Diesel not worth it." :censored:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Might be a surprise to see people snap up new JK versions before they are discontinued if the new version gets rejected. From a marketing standpoint, there is so much that could be learned from the Wrangler rollout.
That would be the JL Wrangler

Meh..... They haven't changed much over the years either. I don't foresee them doing anything different to entice buyers. They might add certain interior luxuries and options, but nothing that's any better or more options than our trucks have.

I don't see it having an outstanding towing capacity either - certainly NOT 7,000lbs like our trucks.

I'm almost afraid they'll change over to IFS. IFS will be more 'comfy' for the regular non-off-road consumer. They should keep to their roots - offroading. I mean...they already have some snowflake Jeeps. Keep the Wrangler pure off-road worthy.....solid axles, Dana 44's, slow crawling T-case, etc.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I really would love to drive a diesel Twin, I just am not sure I want to give up the response of my V6. Horsepower or torque - what do I want?
The one complaint I hear most often in ZR2 media reviews, is based on the engine(s). Testers with the diesel want more horsepower, and testers with the V6 want more low end torque. Like you say, you have to pick one, or the other.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
If you're ever over near Lubbock, you can try mine out. I've got on the fly switchable tunes so you can try it stock and tuned as well at the flip of a switch. Stock, you'd probably hate it after driving your V6 truck. Tuned though. . . .
Thanks, but I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to go to Lubbock.>:)

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
That would be the JL Wrangler

Meh..... They haven't changed much over the years either. I don't foresee them doing anything different to entice buyers. They might add certain interior luxuries and options, but nothing that's any better or more options than our trucks have.

I don't see it having an outstanding towing capacity either - certainly NOT 7,000lbs like our trucks.

I'm almost afraid they'll change over to IFS. IFS will be more 'comfy' for the regular non-off-road consumer. They should keep to their roots - offroading. I mean...they already have some snowflake Jeeps. Keep the Wrangler pure off-road worthy.....solid axles, Dana 44's, slow crawling T-case, etc.
I don't think Fiat has a clue what the Wrangler is all about. But I also don't think that 80% of the people who purchased a 4 door Wrangler since it's release have a clue. The 4 door Wrangler is the soccer mom replacement for the minivan in my neck of the woods. And the number of decked out 4 doors units that have never seen any more mud than what they can find on one of our highways under construction is crazy.

I can't see how they reach any decent tow capacity, but maybe they have an ace up their sleeves. I think to approach a 7K tow capacity, they are going to give up some offroad capabilities. Recognize my 2009 Wrangler 2 Door was rated for 2K towing, with no more than a 25 square foot frontal surface area. The 4 door was only slightly better.

I don't know how true this article is, but sounds like IFS was already decided.

https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/jeep-confirms-ifs-debut-2017-wrangler

Joseph's comment to the article may sum up many people's thoughts on IFS:

Joseph XXXXXXXXX · Saint Augustine, Florida
That is a bunch of bull� Your going to run the name in the ground no one will want one. Well anyone that knows what a jeep is about not like these pretty boys I'm sure they'll buy one oh look how good my jeep rides. Just another way these foreign assholes come over take an American products and try to make it their own this is America I'm sick of this bullshit And if anyone there had any sand in there pants would not let this happen. Jeeps went to war with us to keep this country grate and free so we can do the things we love to do go out have fun and if it brakes we fix it and it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg to repair it. Fiat can take this new Jeep and shove it where the sun don't shine! You all suck go back where you come from and keep that crap � there

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
The date on that article is April Fools.

The JL will not have IFS.
Did not notice date nor do any other research, but that is good.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
The aftermarket world doesn't have anything to do with it.

It's been the same suspension setup since the 1st gen truck - started in 1995.5. It's typical IFS .... That saves them money and more profits becuase they dont' have to redesign it.

They haven't had to change much of anything because people keep buying them. So why would they? It's a cash cow.....

At some point, if their sales ever start dropping and the competitors are catching up...... then, they'll have to do something to compete.
Im not talking about the technology employed in the suspension, ie IFS, solid rear axle, blah blah, I mean the frame geometry is the same.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Im not talking about the technology employed in the suspension, ie IFS, solid rear axle, blah blah, I mean the frame geometry is the same.
The truck hasn't had a drastic change in 22 years...... frame, suspension, basis overall culture of it.

Granted - the 2nd Gen Tacoma got bigger.....but guess what? It's a T100 with a new body, engine & trans.

Funny...I actually sold my OEM exhaust (CatBak) off my 2007 to a guy who owned a T100. He said it was a direct swap. Go figure....

Makes perfect business sense......reuse and recycle what you've already engineered. Just take that engineering and revamp it. Less time, less money wasted, less re-tooling, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.