Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DISCLAIMER: This post is for informational purposes only. I am not a professional and I am not giving you advice on what you should or should not do. You are solely liable for any action you take as a result of reading this post or in life in general.

I have a 2016 chevrolet colorado Z71 2.8L with an Icon stage 5 suspension lift with no rear block. I have been driving with the stock z71 front sway bar deleted for months without an issue but I have been keeping my eye out for an alternative solution. Since the ZR2 is now available (of course they release it a year after I bought my z71 or else I would have bought one) and I heard it has a less ridged front sway bar (and rear leaf springs of which I have already ordered and are waiting for) I figured I would buy and install the ZR2 front sway bar on my Z71 to see how I like it and if it would even fit.

Here are the GM part numbers:

23389030 Front stabilizer shaft link; 2 per vehicle.* Sold individually. (Note that I did buy these but did not use them. I used a different aftermarket solution.)
23390513 Front stabilizer shaft (This is really all you need.)

Here are the GM part numbers for the bolts that mount the front sway bar to the frame if you don't have the originals for some reason:

23390513 Front stabilizer shaft
11518294 Front stabilizer shaft front bolt; 2 per vehicle.* Sold individually.

Here are the aftermarket sway bar end links I used that I got from another forum post:

FRONT SWAY BAR ENDLINKS
Manufacturer: Prothane
Part Number: 19419
http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/19419
http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/installation_instructions/prothane/19400.pdf

A few things to note:

• The ZR2 front sway bar is definitely softer but is about twice as heavy and a bit wider than the Z71 front sway bar.
  • I did not need to use the front sway bar relocation kit.
  • The stock Z71 front sway bar end links are a bit too small for my particular application.
  • The stock Z72 front sway bar end links are a bit too big for my particular application.
  • The aftermarket front sway bar end links I purchased fit just right for my particular application.
  • I assume that this will have an impact on your towing capacity and performance so proceed with caution should you make any changes to your stock setup.

If you have the adjustable Icons, or similar, and you have them compressed to give you another 1 inch or so of lift in the front, then you may need the ZR2 front sway bar end links or similar length aftermarket links to properly fit your application.

The install was straight forward and easy. I have only driven a few miles and went up and down a few curbs but all seems to work great. The ride is stiffer than the deleted front sway bar but softer than the stock Z71 front sway bar. As a result, I have adjusted my front shocks down from HIGH to 5 and the ride is softer from vertical perspective (jumping off curbs) but stiffer on the horizontal (taking turns at high speed). This is what I was looking for so I am happy with the swap so far.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you still running stock tires and wheels? I currently have 265/70r17 Mickey Thompson MTZ on my stock wheels. I'm currently don't have any sway bar rub but I'm wondering if the extra width of the zr2 bar would cause rubbing.

Also are you running your Icons at the normal 2 inches instead of 3? I'm replacing my 2 inch level with Eibach Coilovers set at 2.7 inches to compensate for the steel bumper and 10k winch and keep me at a 2 inch level in the end. If so I think the aftermarket links will work for me.

I have been interested in doing this myself. It was nice to find someone already had, along with such a good right up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you still running stock tires and wheels? I currently have 265/70r17 Mickey Thompson MTZ on my stock wheels. I'm currently don't have any sway bar rub but I'm wondering if the extra width of the zr2 bar would cause rubbing.

Also are you running your Icons at the normal 2 inches instead of 3? I'm replacing my 2 inch level with Eibach Coilovers set at 2.7 inches to compensate for the steel bumper and 10k winch and keep me at a 2 inch level in the end. If so I think the aftermarket links will work for me.

I have been interested in doing this myself. It was nice to find someone already had, along with such a good right up.
I am running 265/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Fuel Recoil wheels and I am running the icons somewhere between 2 and 3 inches. Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice write up and good info. Might look into this as well!

·
Registered
56 Posts
How do you like the icons? I have a stage 5 kit on order and haven’t got any real world feed back. Can you tell a noticeable difference from soft to firm on the adjustments?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you like the icons? I have a stage 5 kit on order and haven’t got any real world feed back. Can you tell a noticeable difference from soft to firm on the adjustments?
I like them. A bit overkill but I like them. I can tell a difference ... my wife complains less about the ride when I have them set to softer ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you mean overkill?
Since I am not out hammering the trails for hours, there are more cost effective options to give me the same lift and similar ride as a daily driver.

·
Registered
191 Posts
@willieblunt Where did you find the part numbers for the stabilizer bolts (11518294)? If you have a parts diagram does it show the part number for the rear bolts, they are longer than the fronts?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.