Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't have a lot of experience with truck tires other than TA's from a few years back that did not last long. In mixed city/highway/some dirt roads, how many miles would you expect these to last? Thanks!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Don't have a lot of experience with truck tires other than TA's from a few years back that did not last long. In mixed city/highway/some dirt roads, how many miles would you expect these to last? Thanks!!
from what I read on jeep forums
As long as you rotate them they should last 40,000

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a set of Duratrac's on my Wrangler. Lots of pavement driving along with some 4-wheel mountain driving. I'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles on them before they'll be unsafe in snow. It's a good tire for off road and snow..... but my experience has been that they don't wear very well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2016 Trailboss and I'm assuming they are the same 265/65R17 Goodyear Duratrac's. I have over 30k on mine with highway and gravel road wear. I think I can get another 10-15k before they need replacing. If you're doing allot of hard offroading, you can expect the mileage to drop. Mild offroading probably wouldn't wear much faster then pavement.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had 11,000 miles on my duratrac 265/65R17 (p metric) that came on my ZR2, just changed them to Falken Wildpeak A/T3E, LT265/70R17 load rang E. The Duratrac's could not handle the gravel and rock, I had 2 rock punctures and on wet pavement keep loosing traction especially when turning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It’s been my experience that if you do any significant off pavement driving, they won’t last long enough for high mileage to become a factor. This is because in order to save money and increase fuel economy ratings, GM basically put a car tire on our ZR2s. The stock Duratracs look aggressive, but they are really the P rated, cheapo cousin of the real deal LT rated Duratracs. I managed to ruin two of the stock tires right off the bat on very mild gravel roads. In both cases the tire developed a cut in the center tread. The first had such a large cut that it went completely flat within 30 seconds of the DIC displaying low tire pressure. I replaced them with D load range LT285/70/17 Duratracs, and have had no further tire issues despite logging many miles on terrible roads.

In my opinion, anyone purchasing this truck to use as intended should budget to immediately replace the tires for something more robust.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was on my 3rd set of 285/75r16 E rated on my Frontier when I bought my Colorado. I averaged 30-32k miles on the first 2 sets, rotated about every 7k mi. It was not my DD and I spend a lot of time in 4WD. The P rated tires on the ZR2 lasted 4k before I ruined 2 of them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It’s been my experience that if you do any significant off pavement driving, they won’t last long enough for high mileage to become a factor. This is because in order to save money and increase fuel economy ratings, GM basically put a car tire on our ZR2s. The stock Duratracs look aggressive, but they are really the P rated, cheapo cousin of the real deal LT rated Duratracs. I managed to ruin two of the stock tires right off the bat on very mild gravel roads. In both cases the tire developed a cut in the center tread. The first had such a large cut that it went completely flat within 30 seconds of the DIC displaying low tire pressure. I replaced them with D load range LT285/70/17 Duratracs, and have had no further tire issues despite logging many miles on terrible roads.

In my opinion, anyone purchasing this truck to use as intended should budget to immediately replace the tires for something more robust.
Did these tires fit or did you have to do modification? When you got cuts in the tires, was that at full pressure or lowered pressure?

·
Registered
208 Posts

That what happen to me, luckily the tire shop in Fallon, NV was able to patch the last tire so that I at leased had a spare until I got back home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did these tires fit or did you have to do modification? When you got cuts in the tires, was that at full pressure or lowered pressure?
I trimmed the lower corner of the fender flare with a dremel tool as described in a couple of the ZR2 tire threads. It took about 20 minutes and now they fit fine. Both times were more or less full pressure (33-34PSI).

·
Registered
208 Posts
How is the ride quality after switching to LT tires?
I like it, but I am not concerned about a soft ride, the tire performance off road is more important than a smooth soft ride. The Falken tires are quieter than the Duratrac inn my opinion. When you run 300 plus mile during a trip off road the tires need to be able to withstand the conditions. The trip I just finished covered 4000 miles and about 450 of that was off road in Death Valley, California and Nevada.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How is the ride quality after switching to LT tires?
Not quite on point, but we put LT tires (Goodrich KO2's) on my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland when the stock tires wore out. We are both very happy with the road feel and I feel a lot more comfortable towing our off-road trailer over rocks, etc. The KO2's have like a 6 ply sidewall, support weight of a trailer better and are much more resistant to sidewall damage than most other similar tires. If you're buying a tire for road feel, you probably don't want an LT. If you're buying for safety and insurance against off-road damage, I view them as a must.

·
Registered
696 Posts
40-60k tread life with regular rotations. It really depends on your driving style more than anything. It's a good tire. It's not a Light Truck (LT) tire, but it will hold its own, on and off pavement. P versus LT is really about weight rating. The advantage of the LT for offroad use is a reinforced sidewall which is more resistant to puncture.

The large lugs on the Duratrac really don't lend it to awesome on-pavement performance, or great performance on wet pavement. It is what it is...nobody makes a tire that's awesome in every condition. The Duratrac is an "all-terrain" tire, leaning towards off-pavement use.

In other words, if you're driving it like a rocket ship, you're on track to replace the tires between 20-40k. If you're rotating regularly and easy on the throttle, steering, and brakes, you can probably eek 60k out of them.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I’ve had them on everything from mini trucks like ours to 3500 duramax work trucks and everything in between. Regular rotations and you will get 40-60k out of them. Never had a puncture. We took a group of twins including 5 ZR2s running stock tires on some very rocky island trails for a weekend. Nobody had any sort of tire damage. Most the puncture stories I’ve seen with these would have punctured any tire but the toughest mud tire. They’re also amazing in snow and they come severe weather rated. Gravel performance is superb as well.

Drive smart and you’ll love the tire. It’s hard writing tire reviews because everyone drives different and reacts to how a tire performs differently.

I would however, as others have said, see if the dealer will swap them for an LT version of the same tire. Less of a squishy feeling when driving. A bit tougher as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the replies.I've got a 2001 Silverado Z71 with KO2's and reading about the luxury car ride of the ZR2 got me daydreaming.

·
Super Moderator
4,213 Posts
I checked my P265/70/17 tread depth last month at 20K and I still had 11-12 32nds on 3 tires and 10-11 32nds on the 4th. Center tread was lowest so I don't thinking running them at 38-40psi this summer was a good idea. Stock tread depth is 16/32nds.

At this rate I would expect them to last 50k miles or until I can't handle the noise anymore. I love the ride, looks and off-road traction but they keep getting louder.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I checked my P265/70/17 tread depth last month at 20K and I still had 11-12 32nds on 3 tires and 10-11 32nds on the 4th. Center tread was lowest so I don't thinking running them at 38-40psi this summer was a good idea. Stock tread depth is 16/32nds.

At this rate I would expect them to last 50k miles or until I can't handle the noise anymore. I love the ride, looks and off-road traction but they keep getting louder.
I've owned Duratrac's prior to owning our ZR2 and love them also, especially during the winters here in Wisc. I had a set on my '04 Jeep Rubicon and had 42,000 miles on them when I traded the Jeep in on the ZR2 and I still had at least 10,000 miles left on them. The biggest care issue is to run the correct air pressure in them and check them at least once a month. I use to run an air press. that would allow the tread to run "flat" on the road surface which on my 2 door Jeep would be 26Lbs. and at that press. the vehicle would ride nice and not feel like a "gas powered pogo stick". Just take a piece of chalk and mark across the tread then drive up the driveway and see were it rubs off. spot of chalk missing in the middle-air down, spot(s) removed on the sides- air up, chalk line rubbed off completely- good. Good luck!>:)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I've owned Duratrac's prior to owning our ZR2 and love them also, especially during the winters here in Wisc. I had a set on my '04 Jeep Rubicon and had 42,000 miles on them when I traded the Jeep in on the ZR2 and I still had at least 10,000 miles left on them. The biggest care issue is to run the correct air pressure in them and check them at least once a month. I use to run an air press. that would allow the tread to run "flat" on the road surface which on my 2 door Jeep would be 26Lbs. and at that press. the vehicle would ride nice and not feel like a "gas powered pogo stick". Just take a piece of chalk and mark across the tread then drive up the driveway and see were it rubs off. spot of chalk missing in the middle-air down, spot(s) removed on the sides- air up, chalk line rubbed off completely- good. Good luck!>:)

This exactly. Running the tread flat is key on most tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts