Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer had "ZAKTEK Premium Protection Coating" on the truck I ended up buying. Classic "steal-ership" BS, but apparently it's supposed to be re-applied every 6 mos. I'm guessing so they can tell me there's an issue with my "oscillator valve" and top off fluids for $100+.

Anyone have thoughts on the actual usefulness of this stuff? The internets do not say much about it other than in some other car forums where folks are dubious.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Did you pay for the coating?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You should have refused to pay for it. You did not request it, or authorize the extra charge. I would not not have paid for it.

Reactions: garymikey1982

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should have refused to pay for it. You did not request it, or authorize the extra charge. I would not not have paid for it.
It was on the in-stock truck I wanted to buy. The rest of the "boxes" were checked on it. I got an ok price. In theory, I can tell myself that the amount off of sticker price I negotiated was to not pay for the coating.

Still interested in what this stuff actually does and if it's worth it to get the free re-application.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It was on the in-stock truck I wanted to buy. The rest of the "boxes" were checked on it. I got an ok price. In theory, I can tell myself that the amount off of sticker price I negotiated was to not pay for the coating.

Still interested in what this stuff actually does and if it's worth it to get the free re-application.
I didn't even know they still did the fabric/paint protectant **** any more, but there's a zillion dealers out there. Of course some are still doing it.
This is how I would look at it.
Firstly, is it 'guaranteed' to protect your paint against anything?
If not, forget about it.
If so, what? If you think it's something your paint might encounter, AND it's inexpensive to re-apply, then why not? It might not protect your paint for whatever it's guaranteed to, but they'll have to cover the repair if it doesn't.

Reactions: orbiteleven

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
@orbiteleven If they are giving you a free 2nd time, go for it, regardless of if it is really good. A free wash and reapply is too good to pass up unless they aren't worth a darn.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
@orbiteleven If they are giving you a free 2nd time, go for it, regardless of if it is really good. A free wash and reapply is too good to pass up unless they aren't worth a darn.

love dealer washes.

Scratches included at no extra charge!

Reactions: dave66rivi

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've seen several variations of this type of thing...Indeed it's just another gimmick to play with the dollars. Generally it's quite pricey and accompanied with a 5 year protection. Well duh, they provide you with a "touch up kit" which requires you to touch up the vehicle every 6 months....Well of course it last 5 years and so does my $15 a bottle Meguiars!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealer had "ZAKTEK Premium Protection Coating" on the truck I ended up buying. Classic "steal-ership" BS, but apparently it's supposed to be re-applied every 6 mos. I'm guessing so they can tell me there's an issue with my "oscillator valve" and top off fluids for $100+.

Anyone have thoughts on the actual usefulness of this stuff? The internets do not say much about it other than in some other car forums where folks are dubious.
I have it on a Torch Red Corvette. The body material is different, but for me I believe the proof is in the difference after washing the vehicle. Over time; like any type of product you put on your vehicle; how it looks after cleaning is what sold me. Water beads up and rolls right off the car. After drying, the paint has a great shine.
I cannot speak but for my results and if it is already applied and you get a free service every 6 months and the paint is protected better than a regular detailing; go with it. Beats what the cost is over time.
Hope this helps you to adjust.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, but not by choice. It was already applied when I bought it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's "already applied" when you bought it.

2nd dealership I went to did this to all of their vehicles. Interior protection and exterior protection - supposedly. Only $799! Sales guy was telling me that "If a tagger graffitis my truck, it will just wash right off, and there's a lot of that going around." Of course, I work for the City office that receives graffiti complaints and cleans up graffiti around the city. I had never heard anyone mention that. So I asked the main person who takes the graffiti complaints, and sends out clean-up crews if she's ever had anyone say their car was tagged. She's like, "No."

I didn't buy from them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.