Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone...

In advance...thanks for your time in reading this and providing any feedback. : )

My Bulb/Lamp on the Drivers side fog lamp went out.

What is the best way to replace the fog lamp bulb on the drivers side of the 2005 Chevy Colorado Z85? Also...am I correct in assuming that the fog lamp uses the low beam 9006 bulb that is used in the low beam head lamp?

I went to the local Checker Auto Parts store...and the guy there didnt know how to change the bulb. Upon looking at it...there appears to be a black plastic cover that protects the wiring and bulb on the back of the lamp and I see two bolts that hold that in place. Underneath, there are some hidden screws that are very hard to get to.

If any other of you guys have replaced the bulb in your fog lamps personally.... how did you do it?

Thanks again.

Danny_RADO

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
It is just like changing your headlight I did mine this summer I went to advanced auto they didnt have the bulb. I went to the deal to get the bulb figured if advanced auto didnt have it know one would but the dealer. Cost me 20 something dollars not cheap.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
yeah, it "unscrews" the same way the headlights and high beams do. To make it easier, you need to unplug it first, then twist it. It's actually a different bulb, like 9145 or something, but you can use 9005 high beam bulbs also.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
The bulb just turns and comes out. If you really want - get two 9006 Low beam bulbs and trim the mounting tabs a little bit so that they fit into the housing. You'll also need to file down the little finger inside of the socket on the bulb.

I have two 9006 bulbs in my fogs right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. So based on the comments...it looks like you can use the 9006 or the 9005 bulbs...they just need to be slightly modified....right?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
9006 has more light output than 9005 BTW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts