Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was driving our Brand New 2015 Z71 Colorado crew cab yesterday and this parts delivery guy in a 2011 Ford Ranger turns and smashes right into her to busy checking out a girl that was walking on the side walk. Thankfully my wife is fine just little sore and the girl stayed with her until the police arrived to give her witness statement. Witnesses said our truck came off the ground and came crashing down he hit her so hard. The truck should be totaled I hope it is anyway however not one air bag deployed and no Onstar call? I'll post more pictures soon. The drive shaft fell out and the rear axle was twisted and the front wheel nearly ripped entirely off the truck! :crying: Just glad the truck kept my wife safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
****... I hate people who can't drive. Being that it was a company truck that hit her I'm sure the insurance will fix it. So long as they don't use Ford pats.... lol

Really... I can't type dam...?

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
OUCH!

Glad your wife is okay. Looking at the damage, it is probably a little deceiving since the cab itself seems to have survived pretty well.

You may be hard pressed to get the insurance company to total it - it still has too high a book value, and I would argue the book value is the price of a new truck, MSRP. That said, if the frame is bent, and it could very well be if axles and drive shafts are damaged, then they may total it.

Part of an argument to total it out should be the time you are going to be without the truck: There are no spare parts for these trucks yet, so I bet the repair time on your truck is 60-90 days at least.

Had an engineer that worked for me that had a Chevy Cobalt. (Stop snickering.) Was in a wreck, and they discovered that there was no one tooled to make a particular replacement body part. He was driving a rental for about 4 months as I remember.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ouch! With so many of us waiting so long just to get one of these trucks, its sad to see one taken off the road so soon!

Glad your wife was OK.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If they don't total it, you have to get an attorney to request a diminished value claim. You need an additional check for seven or eight thousand dollars to cover the reduced value of your vehicle now. Even if it is repaired perfectly.

·
Registered
431 Posts
OP, sorry to hear about the truck. You did not mention if your wife received medical attention after the accident. I hope she got checked out, even if she felt okay right after it happened.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Man, my $1800 bumper bruise has nothing on that. Glad she is okay! I would not be a happy dude at all if they didn't total that. I would be up someones ass making sure that you don't have to wait for that to be repaired. So sorry!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow! I'm surprised that Onstar didn't give you a crash response call. Even if no airbags deployed, the sensors should have registered that as a collision.

Our Lexus enform system called the cops out to check on us because someone bumped the SOS button and nobody responded since we went inside the house

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your thoughts everybody. My wife got checked out medically today they said her muscles were tight and prescribed IB profin and muscle relaxers. Hopefully nothing serious. Here's some more pics. The guy at the dealership collision center said if the frame isn't bent it might look worse then it is. He said it would take $20,000 in damage to total it. Another words 75% of the original value.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
If they don't total it, you have to get an attorney to request a diminished value claim. You need an additional check for seven or eight thousand dollars to cover the reduced value of your vehicle now. Even if it is repaired perfectly.
Depends on the policy. In the past eight years I have been hit by two red light runners. I exercised the appraisal clause of my policy and hired an appraiser. The insurance company cut me checks for 9k and 6k which was significantly more than originally offered. They were fairly new cars. No attorney was involved. Best of luck and glad the Wife is okay.

·
Registered
218 Posts
First things first - I am very glad to hear that your wife is ok.

As to the truck, I can't imagine that they don't total it, based on that damage. I agree with others who have said that you should push to have it totaled if they don't do it on their own. Speak to your insurance agent about it now to make them aware of your expectation.

I'm surprised, based on where the impact appears to have been, that the side impact airbags did not inflate. It must have just missed the sensors.

And I believe that Onstar would only be notified in the event of airbag deployment. There are no "other" crash sensors, as someone above suggested. The only ways that Onstar gets triggered is by airbag deployment or hitting the SOS button. (The same would've been true on the Lexus - the SOS button triggered that call, based on the post above.)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Glad your wife is OK.

Definitely feel your pain when it comes to the truck. I'm dumbfounded at the fact that no airbags deployed after such a hit. It is worrisome to say the least... If in reality they're going to use 20k for the total declaration, get ready to be surprised. I know of a new stingray that was definitely totaled (completely new rear end and massive body work) and got repaired for ~12k including all new parts for the rear end. I was surprised at how cheap american car parts actually are. Hopefully at the end of everything you end up with a new truck, because I would definitely not be happy with a repaired new truck. Best of Luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sucks to see your truck like that, though the important thing is that your wife is ok. I would fight them tooth, fang and claw to have the truck written off, no way that truck will ever be right after it's fixed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looks can definitely be deceiving, but if the rear axle shifted enough to drop the drive shaft, I'd bet the frame is bent around the spring perch welds. One quick check is the alignment of the bed next to the back of the cab - if it's not even it's highly likely there is frame damage. Also, these trucks have electric power steering; I can almost guarantee that has been destroyed from looking at the damage to the front end. Plus, there's a good chance you have major ABS and wiring damage.

On the night after new years, my fiance was hit by an idiot in a Ford Escape... he ran across the front of my F150 Super Crew King Ranch... bent the frame in two places... and did $30,000+ in damage. Suns_PSD is correct, you need to request an estimate of diminshed value - dealers and other people will see in a Carfax report that there was major damage and you will never get a fair trade value or close to a fair private sale price, even if the truck is completely rebuilt.

Here's a link to my post with a pic of my F150... when you look at it, you'd think everything could be repaired, but nope... they totaled it after a week when they found all the hidden damage and factored in the diminished value: http://coloradofans.com/forums/2467545-post11.html

So glad your wife was okay!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Glad the wife came through without a scratch. The truck sure is a mess.

I don't know if that thing is totaled or not. But if a panel of "experts" and adjusters said it was not, then ...

... it seems to me that if it meant avoiding a law suit, the company whose driver hit your wife could be persuaded to buy the truck for the sticker price, provided you sign over the insurance claim to them, and they ante up a rental for however long it takes from order to delivery of your new truck. (If they have many drivers like the one, it won't hurt them to add another vehicle to their delivery fleet.)

I probably couldn't talk them into that. But maybe a lawyer with enough swagger could sell them on the idea that it's the cheapest way for them to go. I'm no attorney (don't even like attorneys much). But I'd have a conversation with an attorney about that idea ... if they said it wasn't totaled. That's just me talkin' ...

Best of luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad your wife is okay. Good luck with the truck. Heartbreaking to see one in this condition so soon. Best wishes all the way around!

·
Registered
754 Posts
^^^^ Ditto. Wife OK everything is OK. That is all that matters. The truck can be replaced/repaired. Be tenacious in your claims.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts