Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Your Driving Style

5K views 47 replies 35 participants last post by  Pro Stock John 
#1 ·
Purely anecdotal, I come across quite a few folks that drive their trucks hard and have no reliability issues. Hard as in maybe 1 redline per day or so...

How do you drive your truck? Are you light on the throttle? If I'm light on the throttle in this truck (3.6L), it will normally shift between 1,700 - 2,200 rpms. If I'm a bit more aggressive, it will shift around 3k+ rpms.

Oddly enough it seems those that baby their vehicles end up with problems. Again, just anecdotal and likely not true LOL.

#2 ·
Interesting to see what others think about this. I makes me want to follows this one.

#3 ·
I traded my 2015 Canyon with 103K miles for a full size. Only issue was the power steering at around 1 month.

I rarely exceeded 4K, not sure it ever redlined. I tried to keep it under 2500 RPMs, that seemed a sweet spot for MPGs. Actually under 2k was the sweet spot.

#4 ·
I was somewhat aggressive with the throttle to begin with. Not necessarily red line a lot, but accelerate to speed and then settle down. Every now and then on the highway just floor it for a little while and see how the downshift acts, etc. There seems to be some sort of learning process in the computer and this type of acceleration may influence that. At 15,000 miles I have no issues with pedal response or shifting patterns.

#5 ·
I'm a firm believer in Italian tune ups. Every hundred miles or so my truck sees a red line shift. I use M/L mode and keep it in the lower gears, even with the 4.10's, I see best economy if I keep it at or above 2K rpm. I don't use oil, no leaks, no odd noises, Other than a defective lifter when new, warranty repair at 600 miles, took 500 miles to convince GM it was a lifter and not the high pressure pump, I've had zero engine issues. OEM battery went south the third winter.

Engine has never been over 210*, trans never over 170*. Some times I have to fiddle with the diff locker and TC switches, everything works as new after 5+ years.

#6 ·
I drive the truck basically like a grandma unless going for a pass on a rural two lane highway. The stock pedal response in the diesel hardly encourages 'spirited' driving, and in the truck I prefer a smoother versus a quicker drive. My wife drives with a very slightly heavier foot. Other than the typical non-powertrain emissions challenges, we haven't had any issues.

However, anytime my GTI gets driven with the oil at operating temp you betcha it's getting a WOT to the redline...

#7 ·
These engines are built to be able to run hard with no failures. Some may believe if they go over 3000 rpm to 80 mph they will blow up but they won’t. The only time they will is if you have an underlining issue to cause it already.

When these engines are designed and tested they run in dynos for 24/7 for days and weeks.

Even now you can’t overvrev with the fuel cut off. Also in park you can’t go over 3000 rpm.

#11 ·
The things I try to never skip/skimp on with my own vehicles.... a brief idle period when cold (30 seconds - 1 minute) and nice easy takeoffs and easy shifts until the fluids are warm.

Beyond that I'm a conservative driver, and some people call me a slow driver. I drive at normal speeds but am easy on brakes, and I don't see driving as a competition in everyday traffic. Some people drive what seems like full throttle, full brake, and high RPM everywhere and it's just an unpleasant experience!

#12 ·
Generally, I accelerate so that the shifts occur between 2,200 and 2,500 RPM. Except in areas where street speed is 15 or 30 MPH. What's the point when it's "pokey time"?

Otherwise, on secondary roads and streets with +40MPH speed limits I'll accelerate between 2,500 RPM and 2,800 RPM or so shift points.

There are times on highway or interstate trips I'll nail it and drops two gears to pass get up to speed. RPMs are then up to whatever the situation demands at the time.

#13 · (Edited)
Having adopted my '07 i4 Collie with >150k on it and next to no real maintenance for 14 years save for occasional oil job, I'm still babying the engine until a P0017 is resolved or the timing chain jumps the shark. But after a tune up, brake job, fuel pump swap, thermostat, new tires and eval purge replacement, the performance and ride is night/day from when I first got the moldy old gal from her prior owner. Around town and highway, I get 22 pretty consistently* with or without AC. [*Unless I'm trying to keep up with the commuter fools going 85 in a 60 -- then mpg plummets as expected.] I don't hold the failed parts against GM -- that work is all because the prior owner didn't do anything of note.

Cruise holds its own on any setting from 45 to 70.

So -- coasting to anticipated stops, accelerating gently, not driving/jackrabbiting like a fool is my nature. Having multiple 'yotas well in excess of 300k, I wouldn't expect anything less out of a domestic vehicle if it's maintained.

#15 ·
I only have about 4500 miles on mine so I’m still taking it kind of easy on her. I have accelerated somewhat spirited to see what she had to offer. I don’t want to be in a situation where I expect something that just isn’t there. I would say I’m a defensive driver that likes driving to be fun too.

#16 ·
Its rare if my truck doesn't see full throttle every drive it goes out for. They say extended idling is bad for diesels so I figure beating the hell out of it is much better 😂

Edit: but I keep my tune close to stock unless I need some extra passing power then she goes to level 4.

#20 ·
Conservatively for the most part, with occational spirited acceleration. It'd be nice to get better mileage than the 5 liter V8 in the weekend car (I know it won't be amazing for a ZR2 regardless). It's not a sports car, and I only just hit 2000 miles with it. That being said, I did push the '06 and '08 often, but they were the only vehicles I had for a while (sold the '06 when I got the '08) got the Jag 4 years after the '08, and the trucks were manual, so it was fun to push it to redline.

#21 ·
hahah, uhh i guess im part of the minority here? I regularly bury the needle on the redline... and I drive aggressively a large portion of the time, Im not a bad driver however, and not an a** to other motorist though. heh.. With my supercharger its way easy for me to get speed and Im regularly using all 6800 RPMs of the engine.. This is a Camaro engine, meant to be revved so im not concerned... I dont however load it up like a truck (hauling and towing) and drive like this, only unloaded I drive hard...

#23 ·
Sorry...have to giggle just a little. Yes, the 3.6 is also used in the Camaro. This reminds me of the days when everything with a 350 was a "CORVETTE ENGINE". No, not even close. The truck 3.6 and Camaro 3.6 are similar if not identical these days....but the engine first appeared in...was it the Traverse/Acadia? Then it found its way into the Impala. I'm sure it's quick with a supercharger, but it's still a truck!

#22 ·
After getting my Trifecta tune, I hammer down at least once a week. Do some aggressive launches and hammer down when I'm on the highway going home. I live about 30 miles from work get to 85 as fast as I can. Then I put it on cruise control and let it coast up to the foothills.

#25 ·
A little faster than Grandma on Sunday morning.

#29 · (Edited)
see thats true for your truck but mine is a 2016 truck... an LFX not an LGZ

in 2015-2016 they had the LFX, in 2017-2022 they had the newer LGZ

#31 ·
I can't have fun in mine cause my drive safe and save app from State farm dings my score and I have to pay more for insurance 🙃

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.