Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 GMC Canyon with about 1400 miles. I did not notice it right away, but I first heard it walking up to my car in a quiet parking lot after remote starting it. It's more audible on the passenger side just under where your feet would rest. Of course, if your like me, you start to listen for things like that once you hear it and sure enough, it can be heard in the cabin as well. Its audible outside the truck at idle (in park). It also starts to intrude upon the cabin at highway speeds.

While I fully intend to take it in to get it looked at, with the plethora of Hurricane Harvey cars clogging up dealerships I'm waiting until things get back to normal. No check engine lights, doesn't drive or act strange in any way, gas mileage is great.

I did put it up on ramps this afternoon and the noise, oddly enough, seems to be coming from right around the catalytic converter. I've never really listened to one, but it sort of gurgles and has a low whine. I had my wife depress the gas and the whine became a little louder, strange indeed.

I'm asking more out of curiosity if anyone has heard of this happening.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Exhaust leak?

Is there a connection around where you hear it?

Let the truck fully cool and feel for air around the exhaust flanges. You should have a few min before things get too hot to feel around

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exhaust leak?

Is there a connection around where you hear it?

Let the truck fully cool and feel for air around the exhaust flanges. You should have a few min before things get too hot to feel around
I suppose it could be at one of the welded joints (if I can pinpoint it I'll just tack that spot since I do have a welder). But, otherwise it will be off to the dealer (will probably wait for my plates to come in). It's just annoying. Otherwise, I'm loving the truck, especially the ease of parking compared to my Silverado 1500 that I traded in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wonder if it could be the flex pipe section?

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
Never ever have I ever heard an exhaust leak described as a "whine". But ok.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Never ever have I ever heard an exhaust leak described as a "whine". But ok.....
Never confirmed it as an exhaust leak, but that's where the sound (and what the sound is) seems to be emanating from, thus my post asking if others have ever heard of this. My initial thought was differential whine, my Mazdaspeed Miata has this and it sounds exactly like what I'm hearing in the Canyon. But, since it's there at idle in park, it can't be that. Could be something in the transmission and the sound is just bouncing of various undercarriage components and fooling my ears as far as their source.

·
Registered
238 Posts
"Could be something in the transmission and the sound is just bouncing of various undercarriage components and fooling my ears as far as their source."
An old trick I use is to take a 3' foot piece of garden hose. Hold one end to your ear and use the other end to listen to different areas to pinpoint the source of the noise. :wink2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.