Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st trip to a dealer November 2006 I was told nothing is wrong, it's just remnents from an oil change.

2nd trip to a differant dealer February 2007 headgasket was replaced

3rd trip to the dealer December 2007 they added dye to the engine oil and told me to come back in 1500 miles.

4th trip to the dealer January 2008 they replaced the cylinder head

And now it looks like it still isn't repaired right, or maybe I'm jumping the gun. What do you guys think?

In the last picture you can see fluid almost ready to drip.

All of this was cleaned up real good when I picked up the truck about 3 weeks ago. I even went yesterday after work and tried to clean some just under the exhaust manifold.

Is this just remains from when it was leaking last time or does it look like it's still leaking?

The truck now has over 56,000 miles on the odometer. I love the truck, but my wife and I are getting VERY frustrated and are about ready to get rid of it.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Wow man ok I would say SOME wetting is typical and normal but the lastpic shows oil ready to drip and yea if your still under warranty and they've confirmed this already a few times and have done repair work then I would definately pursue it more. Im guessing possible rear main or oil pan or something its hard to tell. Shoot the block could even be porous it happens all the time with aluminum.

I would contact the dealer and tell them your getting fed up and you understand they're not familiar with these trucks too much but its getting rediculous now. Tell them you wouldn't mind it too much but that theres puddles of oil on the clean, paved driveway lol. If they don't wanna do anything about it then you ask for consumer affair's number and talk to them.

Damn Chevro-leakers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 04 I5 had same problem and my dealer got me a brand new in the crate 06 motor from GM.My block was porous and leaking badly.My truck only had 23,000 miles at the time of replacement.I am very pleased that my dealer and GM stood behind their product and my truck not leaking and runs great.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buck Weaver said:
My 04 I5 had same problem and my dealer got me a brand new in the crate 06 motor from GM.My block was porous and leaking badly.My truck only had 23,000 miles at the time of replacement.I am very pleased that my dealer and GM stood behind their product and my truck not leaking and runs great.
Did they replace the motor the first time it was in or did it take a few times?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
That sucks dude. I had mine repaired also. headgasket changed. They even stripped one of my spark plug holes.

Mine is leaking still too but not as bad as yours. And they said its remnance from an oil change. Im just letting it accumulate until it starts to drip and then I'll take it back for a fix.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took my truck in 3 times before they determined the block was porous.My sevice manager called GM and without hesitation they said replace engine.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I dropped my truck off at lunch today at the same dealer who has done all the work to date. They weren't able to look at it today (it's a pretty busy service department), but the service advisor said they'll be able to look at it in the morning and let me know what their course of action will be. I'm expecting them to add dye to the oil again and tell me to come back in 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got a call today from my service advisor. He told me that the service manager had gotten in touch with a GM engineer and they were waiting on word from the engineer as to what to do next. I'm guessing they are either gonna replace the motor or have an engineer come down to look at it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The service advisor called me again today. The engineer told the dealership to pull the head off and check the block to see if it is true. The dealership should have done this a year ago (the first time I took it in and they replaced the head gasket) since it only takes 5 minutes to check.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got another call from my service advisor today. They discovered that the block is porous as well!! He told me my truck needs a new block, but the block can't be ordered due to it being restricted (I don't really know why it would be a restricted part). So, the dealership is currently working on paper work to send to GM. Once GM get their paperwork complete, a new block will be shipped in. Once the new block arrives, he said it will take approximately 2-3 days for the installation.

Oddly enough, GM agreed to pay for a rental car without me asking for it. I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but I also just received a small envelope in the mail from GM today that is a $1500 discount coupon, but is only good for a new Silverado. It's pretty funny!! It feels like GM is trying to bribe me to not look into the possibility of a lemon claim.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
I got the same $1500 rebate brochure the other day as well.

I don't understand why they don't replace the whole engine. Now GM is relying on that dealership to build the engine properly. :?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DBNissan said:
I got the same $1500 rebate brochure the other day as well.

I don't understand why they don't replace the whole engine. Now GM is relying on that dealership to build the engine properly. :?

In the end they might just do that, but I won't know till the work is done. But since the head is only 1 month old then I wouldn't be surprised if they just send a short block, or even just a bare block.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
I doubt they'll send a bare block because there's too many bearing sizes that the tech will need to choose from but its safe to assume youll be gettin a short block for sure. OH well hope this finally takes care of it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
turbizzy said:
I doubt they'll send a bare block because there's too many bearing sizes that the tech will need to choose from but its safe to assume youll be gettin a short block for sure. OH well hope this finally takes care of it.

I too hope this finally takes care of it. I'll know within a week or two after it gets installed if it's still leaking.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No word as of yet from my service advisor. My truck has now been at the dealership for 8 days for this repair.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I'd guess that since they already replaced the head you'll just get a shortblock and they're reuse the 'new' head. It sucks, but at least in the end you'll pretty much have a new engine. I still haven't checked up on mine to see if it's still leaking. I'm sure it is.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got an unexpected call from my service advisor today. He tells me that my truck is ready for me to pick up, but there is a hitch. The block has NOT been changed!

I'M PISSED!!

He tells me that the engineers changed their mind on putting a new short block in it and decided instead to try a brand new redesigned head gasket. He said it was from the H3. But wait, the H3 only comes in a 5 cylinder and mine is a 4 cylinder?!?! He then tells me that it was based off of a new head gasket designed for the H3s to help with this same problem I've got.

GM Part # 12582590 The part number for the first head gasket which was changed last year

GM Part # 12582590 The part number for the head gasket that was just changed this week

I know that the new gasket can replace the old one without part numbers changing, but can anyone on the inside confirm or deny the existence of a brand new gasket made just for this problem?

To top it all off, my service advisor (he's a great guy btw) admitted to me that he doesn't think this new gasket is going to fix the oil leak. He expects to see my truck back in the shop within a month, and with how my luck with this truck has been here lately, I do too.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
That doesn't make sense usually when the part changes the part number supercedes to another number. IMO you already have the latest and greatest part. Whatever... as long as the advisor's got your back then thats cool. If it begins to leak again for a 3rd confirmed time then it becomes a lemon woohoo.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
turbizzy said:
That doesn't make sense usually when the part changes the part number supercedes to another number. IMO you already have the latest and greatest part. Whatever... as long as the advisor's got your back then thats cool. If it begins to leak again for a 3rd confirmed time then it becomes a lemon woohoo.
That was the 3rd confirmed repair. If it leaks again that'll make 4.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts