Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started playing around with my new Xtreme gauges this afternoon. I swapped my old board with blue 3mm LED's in the dials and red 5mm LED's in the DIC. It looks badass, but its not very bright...as I suspected. I've got some brighter PLCC LED's on the way so hopefully they will help. :twisted:

·
Registered
339 Posts
JustinS said:
Started playing around with my new Xtreme gauges this afternoon. I swapped my old board with blue 3mm LED's in the dials and red 5mm LED's in the DIC. It looks badass, but its not very bright...as I suspected. I've got some brighter PLCC LED's on the way so hopefully they will help. :twisted:
nice. i thought about doing this too with mine but with a brighter white but noticed that the xtreme clusters are slightly dimmer than the regular cluster due to the fact that the regular clusters have white numbers and the xtremes have a a darkish grey color so it would be hard to really get those numbers to show through really well. Looks sweet! Let me know how it turns out with the brighter PLCCs

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
A little dark for my tatse, but a nice touch.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DBNissan said:
I hope mine isn't gonna be that bark :(

I know the Xtreme clusters are dim compared to the other cluster to begin with. Hopefully it's not due to the gauge face design.
The gauge design is most of the problem. My camera also adds to the effect. In the pics the dials don't even show. I have some 3mm LED's I picked up at a local electronics store. I believe they were only rated at 100 mcd, so not very bright. I shaved them down and have been using in my regular cluster for over a year now. Here is the same board in my regular cluster. The only diff is the addition of the red LED's to the DIC.

I have some PLCC-2 LED's on the way that are rated at 800 mcd, so we will see what happens.

·
Registered
339 Posts
JustinS said:
DBNissan said:
I hope mine isn't gonna be that bark :(

I know the Xtreme clusters are dim compared to the other cluster to begin with. Hopefully it's not due to the gauge face design.
The gauge design is most of the problem. My camera also adds to the effect. In the pics the dials don't even show. I have some 3mm LED's I picked up at a local electronics store. I believe they were only rated at 100 mcd, so not very bright. I shaved them down and have been using in my regular cluster for over a year now. Here is the same board in my regular cluster. The only diff is the addition of the red LED's to the DIC.

I have some PLCC-2 LED's on the way that are rated at 800 mcd, so we will see what happens.
afraid so. the base kind have white lettering on black faces and the xtremes have grey lettering on white faces. I wanted to do mine too but cant find any ultra bright led. hopefully the newer ones will help. keep us posted

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So here is what I found out tonight. I replaced the 3mm LED's with the PLCC-2 LEDs and it is much brighter. The red Xtreme needles are just not liking the blue. So I put the regular orange needles on and they lit up nicely. However, the Xtreme needles work great with red. I put all kinds of colors on the board...so a picture is worth a thousand words.

Tach - blue leds orange needle
Gas - blue leds red needle
Temp - red leds orange needle
Speedo - orange leds red needle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey justinS where did u order your plcc-2? Think of changing my HUD to blue.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And finally all red Xtreme gauges w/ blue DIC...

·
Registered
891 Posts
OneShiftAway said:
man u change those like its no problem, i always thought it was a big procedure to do and took time..i want to do mine green but after seeing the "how to on this" looks kinda confusing.
Nah its real easy bro..ive done like 6 clusters so far. Use SMT LED's rather than the 3mm the how-to says to use 8)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
JustinS said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Maaannnn :!: That right side is what I've wanted since day 1. I'd been thinking about doing this. Now I'm gonna have to. That's just too sweet! BTW, is this still in the Xtreme cluster, or the regular one? Sorry if I overlooked that.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dirtydawg said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Maaannnn :!: That right side is what I've wanted since day 1. I'd been thinking about doing this. Now I'm gonna have to. That's just too sweet! BTW, is this still in the Xtreme cluster, or the regular one? Sorry if I overlooked that.
Yes this is the Xtreme cluster.

logistixs said:
Hey justinS where did u order your plcc-2? Think of changing my HUD to blue.
I got mine from work (I work for a semiconductor manufacturer). I've seen them on ebay. Just make sure you get the bright ones, especially if you are working with blue. Blue has the lowest luminicity. Anything greater than 500mcd should be fine. Almost all the LED's you're gonna find will have about 3.4V forward voltage and consume about 20mA.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts