Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a XR roll-up type tonneau cover on their Colorado? If so, any good or bad opinions?

·
Registered
Black 2017 Canyon Denali CCSB, 2.8 Diesel, 4x4
350 Posts
i have a Pace Edward Full Metal Jackrabbit with explorer rails. It work great. A small amount of Water still get into the bed during rain. Best to buy extra weather strips for the front of the bed and where the canister pushed up against the bed. Overall great cover. Make sure you drill your drainage hole farther toward the sidewalk to avoid the cab breather flaps.

I hope that is what you were looking for.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I have this XR Tonneau Cover:

https://www.realtruck.com/xr-tonneau-cover/

Price was right, I had a few things I wanted in a cover:

1. Able to release from one side: when towing a trailer, pain to have to step over the tongue or walk around to release on the opposite side. (There is a special latch on the right side to offer more security, but I have only used it once in the year I have owned my cover. )

2. When rolled up, I wanted two straps two secure - at least one version I reviewed had a single strap.

3. Rolls up pretty small - so when rolled up, doesn't block view.

4. One person operation. Also, one person removal. (I have never removed, roll it up all of the time.)

5. Roll up to get an open bed quickly when need the bed.

6. Does not take up much room to store when removed. (Never remove it, but meets that criteria.)

7. Dry & Secure. See note on leaks, Item A. As far as secure, it is a soft cover. If you need real security, get a hard cover or an SUV. Meets my security needs.

I think those were my main wants.

Negatives I have found:

A. Leaks. Can leak a lot. Most of the leaking is probably related to tailgate and not the cover itself. Get yourself a good tailgate seal. I tried to go cheap, and haven't taken the time to go back and do it right.
- On this model cover, I don't see any leaks up by the cab, they are all in area of tailgate. If you look at the gap in the sides of the tailgate, they are huge, and it looks like that is where my issue arises.

B. The rails for the cover decrease the width at the top of the bed. Rails are pretty sharp, could damage items, etc. Reduces the width at top of bed 3"-4" probably. When hauling mattresses, I tend to toss a moving blanket over the rail on one side, place mattress in the bed with one side on resting on floor of bed and other side resting on top of the moving blanket that is draped over rail.

C. Same theme as item B, when you reach in from the sides of our truck, the bed sides are tall, it is a long reach. The rails make the reach just a wee bit more difficult to accomplish.

D. The soft cover flutters in the wind. Probably not much, but when the sun is low in sky on my drive to work in morning and home in evening, it looks much worse than it actually is, can be distracting.

E. It is dark in there when the cover is on and you look in from the open tailgate. I don't have a big problem with it, newer models (2017 and up?) have an option to add bed lighting, probably worth it.

F. Hard to reach stuff at the cab end of bed when the cover is closed. Can always put a board in the slots to prevent items from sliding forward, has not been a major issue for me. Sunday morning, I used a garden hoe to pull my camping gear in my bed to the tailgate so I wouldn't have to roll up a wet cover: Very little water penetration, but truck was parked not driving in the rain.

If I had to do it again, would I? You bet, I got it for $248, with free shipping a year ago. Only thing I would do different is order a good tailgate seal. I would have been hard pressed to justify a larger expense,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.