Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently Bought an 04 Colorado Extended Cab with the factory cd player H/U. Can I get XM through the stock H/U or would I have to buy a new CD player??

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think you need to buy a receiver unit that attaches to the underside of the dash somewhere. Then, it should connect to the OEM stereo for the final step. Check out this website:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xxpPoeRINu ... DGMK&tp=87

Although the site says "discontinued item," I'm sure there is some kind of replacement. Note: the stock radio has to have a "band" button that will allow you to access the XM box.

Hope that helps! I want to upgrade my '08 stereo to XM too. But, I'm stuck with the indecision due to the ugly antenna -- plus I already have the even uglier OnStar one. I don't think I could stomach 2 ugly-a$$ antennas on my roof! :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got the XM radio going direct throught the AM/FM radio antenna. Only down part is that I lose the XM signal when the FM signal is stronger on the freq.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's interesting. How often does the FM interfere??? Now and then, or continuously to varying degrees as you play the XM stations? Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
It all depends on what FM freq you're tuned into and where it's broadcast from. EX: I live on the northside of Houston,TX. In my area where I live, the FM freq I have it on right now is fine, XM comes thru very good. But when I travel down to the south side of town, the FM signal overpowers the XM signal since the FM signal (I guess) is broadcast from down that area. I have the XM Audiovox Xpress Satellite Radio car kit (you got a sports ticker with this one!!!). It come with the stuff ya need to do thru the FM radio. Hope it work out for ya man!

·
Registered
193 Posts
i had the same setup in my truck before i bought the sirius reciever. I have the stock XM reciever and a wiring harness for it. Only thing im missing is na antenna. PM if you interested in buying it.
http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2 ... 565801.jpg
This is the kit i put in the truck. I only used the sirius box. The harness is for supply power to a truck that doesnt have satelitle built in. And I also have the factory XM box.

·
Registered
85 Posts
gtimark said:
I want to upgrade my '08 stereo to XM too. But, I'm stuck with the indecision due to the ugly antenna -- plus I already have the even uglier OnStar one. I don't think I could stomach 2 ugly-a$$ antennas on my roof! :D
I don't want the sunroof on my 2008 in progress at the factory, so I can't get factory XM. I plan to hook up my XM Roady so I can get XM. Per my dealar, the 2008 antenna has both Onstar and XM capability and both leads are in the antenna and run into the vehicle, even if you don't buy XM as an option. You do have to have Onstar as an option. The XM lead is orange/brown in color and can be found in the wiring harness behind the glovebox. When my truck comes in, I'll have the dealer find the lead and I'll photograph it so you know where to look.

·
Registered
297 Posts
gtimark said:
I want to upgrade my '08 stereo to XM too. But, I'm stuck with the indecision due to the ugly antenna -- plus I already have the even uglier OnStar one. I don't think I could stomach 2 ugly-a$$ antennas on my roof! :D
HEHE, I guess I could stomach my antennas. I got a 6ft CB and 4ft HAM radio on my ride. But I aim to maybe drop the 6ft on and put two 5 1/2ft attached to the bed and scanner antenna too later on.

·
Registered
635 Posts
By the way, the factory XM antennas can also be used for a sirius reciever, so if you want to add sirius, you don't have to run a new antenna or drill anything. The connector is behind the glovebox. Take off the brown plastic and you're left with a coax that plugs into a sirius or extention coax cable.

·
Registered
193 Posts
yeah...thats what i did...doest work as well as an original hockeypuck antenna, but still better than the new ones sirius provides...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Shadowstarz said:
HEHE, I guess I could stomach my antennas. I got a 6ft CB and 4ft HAM radio on my ride. But I aim to maybe drop the 6ft on and put two 5 1/2ft attached to the bed and scanner antenna too later on.
Actually, your antennas probably look cool!! It's the stubby little things that service XM and OnStar that give me problems. :D Any pics of your ride???

·
Registered
297 Posts
I couldn't get a whole pic of it cause of the sun. But here's a pic of the mount(Tri-magnet) with a quad-point ground plane.

This is the antenna. It's on one in the middle WILDCAT WC 73 CB. 3ft base and 3ft whip. http://www.dx-electronics.com/dxnew/fatcat.htm Gotta watch out for low clearences.....LOL.

The base of the HAM antenna is in the far right of this pic.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re:

Shadowstarz said:
I couldn't get a whole pic of it cause of the sun. But here's a pic of the mount(Tri-magnet) with a quad-point ground plane.

This is the antenna. It's on one in the middle WILDCAT WC 73 CB. 3ft base and 3ft whip. http://www.dx-electronics.com/dxnew/fatcat.htm Gotta watch out for low clearences.....LOL.

The base of the HAM antenna is in the far right of this pic.

That's cool looking. Definitely NOT like my OnStar antenna!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here's a better look at my antennas on the truck. CB on top HAM on the right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts