Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
yes for bouncing off rocks, as you say

same for me prolly why im not too worried they will still be able to do their job just as effectively without the spacer

No one is discounting them, just saying unless your intending to use them to their full potential, which it sounds like youre not, then you might be going through more hastle then you need.
Again, it all comes back to doing things right and not cutting corners.

Anyways, I've gotten in touch with the supplier, and they're going to have to do a custom order from manufacturing in China. So, I guess we'll see how long this takes.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Good news: I've sorted this out.

Bad news: 6 week ETA.

If anyone needs these brackets, please get in touch with me so that I can direct you through the proper channels.
The "New" Like ....

:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guessing its too late to mention but purchased some ZR2 sliders for my Z71 and the seller included these mounting plates with the sale. I didnt need them so they are just sitting in the garage with nothing to do, so if anyone is in the need for these shoot me a message and we can work something out. Not sure what they are worth so hit me with a price.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Guessing its too late to mention but purchased some ZR2 sliders for my Z71 and the seller included these mounting plates with the sale. I didnt need them so they are just sitting in the garage with nothing to do, so if anyone is in the need for these shoot me a message and we can work something out. Not sure what they are worth so hit me with a price.
You do need the plates, BTW. At least if you're looking to use them as intended and they aren't just for appearances.

They help structurally strengthen the slider structure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You do need the plates, BTW. At least if you're looking to use them as intended and they aren't just for appearances.

They help structurally strengthen the slider structure.

Well then, didnt seem to line up well with them so I gave up. Havent had an issue yet, also havent had any big impacts or hits on them. Ill hold on to them and try mounting again one day.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Zillon, Do you have an update on these brackets/reinforcement plates? Did you ever get them?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put my ZR2 Nerf Bars on today (notice I didn't call them sliders) :) I did use all the hardware (including those bracket reinforcement plates). Everything lined up really well... easy install. I got a used set super-cheap on Craigslist...

On the hardware stuff... thank you Zillon.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
ZR2 Owners - check under your truck - evidence of questionable rocker installation

Call me "%$#@ retentive", but when installing these rocker protectors, I started wondering about a few things I've heard.

1) I have heard some people on this forum state that those reinforcement brackets were not present on brand new ZR2's.
2) The guy I bought my used rocker protectors stated the same thing. I was skeptical.
3) Then I took my truck to my dealer and asked the accessory installer if he could hand me his rivnut tool for a few minutes or install the rivnut for me. (My dealer has been very good to me.) His response was interesting.

He stated that he'd be glad to if he could find the tool. He said that since the ZR2's started arriving from the factory with the rocker bars already installed, that they haven't had many requests to install a set of these things and he can't find the tool. But he did state that they install a ton of the off-road step bars and that those don't call for that 3rd screw/rivnut in that 1 bracket on the passenger side. So he just said why don't you just install them like you would if it were the step bars?

So I came home, looked up the install guide for the step bars and not only do they not call for that 3rd screw into the rivnut, but they don't even call for the reinforcement plates. That struck me odd because step bar owners will step on those things a gazzilion time over the life of their truck and that could possibly start to put some stress on the rockers. I would think those plates would be just as important if not more so for the step bars as they are the rocker protectors. But GM doesn't call for them.

Then I had some time to kill, so I went out looking at new ZR2's in the lots and crawled underneath to take a look. What I found was troubling and I wanted to share that with all of you. I saw some trucks without reinforcement plates, I saw some trucks with loose hardware. The rocker bar didn't wobble, but the hardware was loose! Yikes! I even looked under recently delivered 2019s . The good news was that on every 2019 I looked at, they all had the reinforcement plates. But they did not all have that 3rd screw in the front passenger side bracket.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Call me "%$#@ retentive", but when installing these rocker protectors, I started wondering about a few things I've heard.

1) I have heard some people on this forum state that those reinforcement brackets were not present on brand new ZR2's.
2) The guy I bought my used rocker protectors stated the same thing. I was skeptical.
3) Then I took my truck to my dealer and asked the accessory installer if he could hand me his rivnut tool for a few minutes or install the rivnut for me. (My dealer has been very good to me.) His response was interesting.

He stated that he'd be glad to if he could find the tool. He said that since the ZR2's started arriving from the factory with the rocker bars already installed, that they haven't had many requests to install a set of these things and he can't find the tool. But he did state that they install a ton of the off-road step bars and that those don't call for that 3rd screw/rivnut in that 1 bracket on the passenger side. So he just said why don't you just install them like you would if it were the step bars?

So I came home, looked up the install guide for the step bars and not only do they not call for that 3rd screw into the rivnut, but they don't even call for the reinforcement plates. That struck me odd because step bar owners will step on those things a gazzilion time over the life of their truck and that could possibly start to put some stress on the rockers. I would think those plates would be just as important if not more so for the step bars as they are the rocker protectors. But GM doesn't call for them.

Then I had some time to kill, so I went out looking at new ZR2's in the lots and crawled underneath to take a look. What I found was troubling and I wanted to share that with all of you. I saw some trucks without reinforcement plates, I saw some trucks with loose hardware. The rocker bar didn't wobble, but the hardware was loose! Yikes! I even looked under recently delivered 2019s . The good news was that on every 2019 I looked at, they all had the reinforcement plates. But they did not all have that 3rd screw in the front passenger side bracket.
Interesting findings.

The step bars are a slightly different design, and are also not designed to support the weight of the truck in an off-road situation like the sliders are, hence why the reinforcement plates are omitted. The plates aren't necessarily for reinforcing the rockers, they're to reinforce the slider drop brackets and prevent them from folding or fatiguing under load.

But the loose hardware and missing reinforcement plates on the dealer-prepped trucks is troubling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lets be realistic on what these OEM ZR2 Rocker Protectors can handle. If you care about your truck, please please do not go offloading in places where you expect to protect your truck with these things. Regardless of what the GM engineers and sales literature states, these will not do the job and you will have body damage. Given I only have $200 invested in mine, and I have no intention of using them as sliders, I'm okay with my purchase.

Having built and owned a purpose built off-road rig, I can tell you for certain that those ZR2 items are only Nerf Bars. Besides the fact that the mounting is isolated to the rocker panel only (Issue #1) the other thing is that they made with too thin of steel and not gusseted (Issue #2). They will bend like a wet noodle.

The reinforcement plates (thank you Zillon for helping me out with these) will not help these brackets from bending. Only gussets will help with that. The plates are to distribute impact forces against the inside rocker panel over a greater surface area to reduce the likelihood of crumpling the rocker itself. That is because (and this is issue #3) the "feet" of the bracket itself (the part welded to the rocker bars) is very small so impact forces are being placed on a small area and will crumple the rocker panels quickly.

My guess is that the GM folks found out about that design weakness very quickly and had their manufacturer add the plates to the kit afterwards. This was probably done so mild impacts would not immediately cause damage to the panel. In fact, they probably want the rockers protectors to buckle before the rocker panels do (because brackets are fundamentally weak)... which they believe will happen now given current design.

I would not try to test that theory on my truck though.

I've enclosed a pdf of an install guide for some step bars made by Addictive Desert Designs. I am not endorsing this product. I just want to show folks an example of what a "gusseted nerf bar / side step bracket" would look like if it was made stronger to hopefully not fold over like a wet noodle on impact. I personally would not use this particular product as an offload slider either.

For what it's worth... the sliders on my Jeep were frame mounted and made with 1/4 wall steel (mounting brackets too). I still managed to bend them, but I stuck my Jeep into some pretty nasty places.

And I am very happy with my Colorado now as it has a set of those ZR2 Rocker Protectors! Perfect for what I needed and way cheap!

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Lets be realistic on what these OEM ZR2 Rocker Protectors can handle. If you care about your truck, please please do not go offloading in places where you expect to protect your truck with these things. Regardless of what the GM engineers and sales literature states, these will not do the job and you will have body damage. Given I only have $200 invested in mine, and I have no intention of using them as sliders, I'm okay with my purchase.

Having built and owned a purpose built off-road rig, I can tell you for certain that those ZR2 items are only Nerf Bars. Besides the fact that the mounting is isolated to the rocker panel only (Issue #1) the other thing is that they made with too thin of steel and not gusseted (Issue #2). They will bend like a wet noodle.

The reinforcement plates (thank you Zillon for helping me out with these) will not help these brackets from bending. Only gussets will help with that. The plates are to distribute impact forces against the inside rocker panel over a greater surface area to reduce the likelihood of crumpling the rocker itself. That is because (and this is issue #3) the "feet" of the bracket itself (the part welded to the rocker bars) is very small so impact forces are being placed on a small area and will crumple the rocker panels quickly.

My guess is that the GM folks found out about that design weakness very quickly and had their manufacturer add the plates to the kit afterwards. This was probably done so mild impacts would not immediately cause damage to the panel. In fact, they probably want the rockers protectors to buckle before the rocker panels do (because brackets are fundamentally weak)... which they believe will happen now given current design.

I would not try to test that theory on my truck though.

I've enclosed a pdf of an install guide for some step bars made by Addictive Desert Designs. I am not endorsing this product. I just want to show folks an example of what a "gusseted nerf bar / side step bracket" would look like if it was made stronger to hopefully not fold over like a wet noodle on impact. I personally would not use this particular product as an offload slider either.

For what it's worth... the sliders on my Jeep were frame mounted and made with 1/4 wall steel (mounting brackets too). I still managed to bend them, but I stuck my Jeep into some pretty nasty places.

And I am very happy with my Colorado now as it has a set of those ZR2 Rocker Protectors! Perfect for what I needed and way cheap!
Despite what you say, I think you'd be impressed with the overall strength of the OE sliders.

Granted, this is a static load and not a dynamic load... but, a photo is worth a few words:

Of course, they're not going to be as strong as a proper frame-mounted slider setup, but for the average user, the OE sliders are just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Good news: I've sorted this out.

Bad news: 6 week ETA.

If anyone needs these brackets, please get in touch with me so that I can direct you through the proper channels.
Do you mind sharing the info for those of us in the same situation? I can get a set of sliders for $100 but need the brackets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just sent you a PM - I know it's been a while since this was posted, but maybe you still have them... hopefully.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just a thought on the brackets as I’m not sure if you plan to use the sliders for hard core use or not, but I’d think a large thick fender washer between the slider and the body would deliver nearly the same results - spreading out any force on a larger surface

21 - 39 of 39 Posts