Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a set of OEM ZR2 sliders locally from someone who swapped them out for a set of side steps, but his installer lost the vast majority of the mounting hardware.

Is there anyone on here who’s done something similar and has some extra hardware laying about? Should be 16 bolts and 8 reinforcement brackets, as pictured below.

The bolts are easy to source, however the reinforcement brackets are not available separately. Already tried the dealer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
959 Posts
You're also going to need the 16 clips the bolts thread into......The sellers installer sounds like a bit of a putz...:wink2:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're also going to need the 16 clips the bolts thread into......The sellers installer sounds like a bit of a putz...:wink2:

Well, I have those. And bolts too, but they're not the OE bolts.

The brackets.... are a different story. I'm going to try to reach out to the supplier/manufacturer and see if I can separately source them. I can't believe these aren't available separately.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You're also going to need the 16 clips the bolts thread into......The sellers installer sounds like a bit of a putz.../forums/images/ColoradoFans_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

The brackets.... are a different story. I'm going to try to reach out to the supplier/manufacturer and see if I can separately source them. I can't believe these aren't available separately.
Bolts are practically bolts. Grade 8.8 Metric - M10-1.5?

They won’t be coated like the factory but that wouldn’t make a difference for strength. They are all made to spec.

For the brackets, I bet a local welder or machine shop could make some. Just need a template from someone.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bolts are practically bolts. Grade 8.8 Metric - M10-1.5?

They won’t be coated like the factory but that wouldn’t make a difference for strength. They are all made to spec.

For the brackets, I bet a local welder or machine shop could make some. Just need a template from someone.
Luckily I have 2 of the brackets. Whatever side steps this guy got only had 6 mounting points.

·
Registered
959 Posts

I know you mentioned you went to the dealer about the brackets and were told they weren't available separately. I wonder if GM offers a whole kit which includes the brackets plus all the bolts and clips. You may have to buy all 8 brackets, bolts and clips but your sliders are useless without the hardware. As far as having some brackets made I would guess that would be very expensive. You might try a wrecking yard that has a ZR2 with bent up sliders and see if you can get the brackets. Just throwing this out there....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know you mentioned you went to the dealer about the brackets and were told they weren't available separately. I wonder if GM offers a whole kit which includes the brackets plus all the bolts and clips. You may have to buy all 8 brackets, bolts and clips but your sliders are useless without the hardware. As far as having some brackets made I would guess that would be very expensive. You might try a wrecking yard that has a ZR2 with bent up sliders and see if you can get the brackets. Just throwing this out there....
No such hardware kit exists so far. I can buy the bolts, I can buy the sliders, but the brackets are part of the slider assembly and don't have an individual part number.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are all the brackets the same on each side? That one pictured is very simple and could be inexpensively cut on a plasma table. Then put in a couple bends. An efficient person could get it done in an hour at most two.

If someone were to cut them out on a bandsaw then it would take all day and be expensive.

Also could made pretty fast on an iron worker machine but would be quite as nice.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are all the brackets the same on each side? That one pictured is very simple and could be inexpensively cut on a plasma table. Then put in a couple bends. An efficient person could get it done in an hour at most two.

If someone were to cut them out on a bandsaw then it would take all day and be expensive.

Also could made pretty fast on an iron worker machine but would be quite as nice.
Same bracket for both sides. They're silly simple, I just need to find the right shop.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Let me know what you find out. Having a similar issue myself..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let me know what you find out. Having a similar issue myself..
Not having any luck with the supplier thus far, left 2 messages and a contact form, no reponse. Shame.

I guess I'll try to find a fabrication shop.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
I also never got these with mine and as such Ive debating in my head whether these are even needed.

It's not like they add any "attachment strength" so that the sliders are more securely attached to the truck. In fact they'd only seem to come into play to distribute an impact over a larger surface area. But any such impact IMO large enough to need that dispersion is likely going crush the thin wall tubing these are made of so im torn.

Seems like if youre going to be in the type of use where these would truly be needed you'd be better off going with real (thicker walled) frame mounted weld on sliders.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had the same issue. Bought Grade 8 nuts and bolts at the local hardware store. Since I didnt have the clips, I fed the bolts from the inside of the frame, lifted on the sliders and added nuts and lock washers. Only did the bottom 4 for now. Hoping to find the clips for the top ones. After a week or 2 and 500 miles, still holding sturdy with just 4 on. I think it will be difficult to remove the bolts I put on and hope not to have to cut off so sliders are probably a permanent addition.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also never got these with mine and as such Ive debating in my head whether these are even needed.

It's not like they add any "attachment strength" so that the sliders are more securely attached to the truck. In fact they'd only seem to come into play to distribute an impact over a larger surface area. But any such impact IMO large enough to need that dispersion is likely going crush the thin wall tubing these are made of so im torn.

Seems like if youre going to be in the type of use where these would truly be needed you'd be better off going with real (thicker walled) frame mounted weld on sliders.
If the brackets were spec'd, they were likely spec'd for a reason - and I like to do things right. OE engineers aren't idiots, usually.

The purpose of the sliders for me won't be bouncing off of rocks, but just to add a little protection as a just in case.

I know another user on here proved that in a pinch the OE sliders can be used as a jacking point, so they're clearly anchored fairly well, so I wouldn't be so quick to discount them. I'd also never do weld-on units on a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
If the brackets were spec'd, they were likely spec'd for a reason - and I like to do things right. OE engineers aren't idiots, usually.
yes for bouncing off rocks, as you say
The purpose of the sliders for me won't be bouncing off of rocks, but just to add a little protection as a just in case.
same for me prolly why im not too worried they will still be able to do their job just as effectively without the spacer
I know another user on here proved that in a pinch the OE sliders can be used as a jacking point, so they're clearly anchored fairly well, so I wouldn't be so quick to discount them. I'd also never do weld-on units on a daily driver.
No one is discounting them, just saying unless your intending to use them to their full potential, which it sounds like youre not, then you might be going through more hastle then you need.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts