Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone here ever upgraded their MyLink (WT version) to a completely new setup? Not talking about swapping it out for the 8" screen, talking about a complete change in everything. After market screen and whatnot. Don't have the steering wheel audio controls so that wont matter.

Hope to get some feedback from you fine 2ndGenGM owners.

16 Posts
I asked about this before and someone responded with the following:

As for a radio upgrade, there's only a few places I've found online that can upgrade your 4.2" to 8". That's gm-navigation.com. I called to get a quote and they said $1400 w/o Navigation. It's gonna be pricy but I'll get it done eventually. Don't expect a cheap swap. You could swap to the IO4 since yours is like mine, an IO3, but that would leave you with the same 4.2" screen but add Bluetooth and maybe a couple other things. Think that runs about $700.

I haven't done it yet but I plan to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Hello,

Has anyone here ever upgraded their MyLink (WT version) to a completely new setup? Not talking about swapping it out for the 8" screen, talking about a complete change in everything. After market screen and whatnot. Don't have the steering wheel audio controls so that wont matter.

Hope to get some feedback from you fine 2ndGenGM owners.

@Toughsox went all aftermarket on the head unit.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Ok, while I am uploading my pix, realize it looks like like a typical head unit.

Notice that the new front plate no longer has the MY LINK buttons on it, but those arent needed since they dont work with the aftermarket head unit.

Where the difference here is.....the stock unit is maybe what....2 inches deep, where as the new head unit is a standard sized after market radio......8-9 inches. Thus, I had to cut a serious amount of plastic from behind the stock unit to make it fit.

If Im not explaining that properly, I can definitely remove the aftermarket head unit this weekend as I have some new footwell light Im running so wouldnt mind the 5 minutes to take some pix from behind the new radio.

Have DREMEL, will travel !!! :grin2:

Reactions: RatRacer

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Toughsox went all aftermarket on the head unit.
I asked about this before and someone responded with the following:

As for a radio upgrade, there's only a few places I've found online that can upgrade your 4.2" to 8". That's gm-navigation.com. I called to get a quote and they said $1400 w/o Navigation. It's gonna be pricy but I'll get it done eventually. Don't expect a cheap swap. You could swap to the IO4 since yours is like mine, an IO3, but that would leave you with the same 4.2" screen but add Bluetooth and maybe a couple other things. Think that runs about $700.

I haven't done it yet but I plan to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, while I am uploading my pix, realize it looks like like a typical head unit.

Notice that the new front plate no longer has the MY LINK buttons on it, but those arent needed since they dont work with the aftermarket head unit.

Where the difference here is.....the stock unit is maybe what....2 inches deep, where as the new head unit is a standard sized after market radio......8-9 inches. Thus, I had to cut a serious amount of plastic from behind the stock unit to make it fit.

If Im not explaining that properly, I can definitely remove the aftermarket head unit this weekend as I have some new footwell light Im running so wouldnt mind the 5 minutes to take some pix from behind the new radio.

Have DREMEL, will travel !!! :grin2:
Can't wait to see it!

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
PS....I suck at taking pix with a cell phone

3rd picture is with the face plate down, showing where you would put in a CD or DVD.
Its a Kenwood DDX9902S head unit.

While it really was just like a standard head unit swap in most of the ways..... it took a brave heart to cut away part of the inner dash on what was at the time, a 1 week old truck. My wife literally cried when you saw the entire interior of my truck sitting in the driveway and garage for the couple of days I spent doing the total overhaul.

PS..... here is the amp, crossovers and subthump box -

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
As for upgrading to the 8" stockunit, I still have mine, unused, with the face plate and the controller box..... I never got around to posting it on the FOR SALE section nor am I 100% sure it would just plug and play but, I do need to get around to just selling the original unit....its never going back into my truck. >:)

Reactions: RatRacer

·
Registered
529 Posts
As for upgrading to the 8" stockunit, I still have mine, unused, with the face plate and the controller box..... I never got around to posting it on the FOR SALE section nor am I 100% sure it would just plug and play but, I do need to get around to just selling the original unit....its never going back into my truck. >:)

Did you run sub wires through the center console? Or through the sides?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
All my sub wires went through the console. There was plenty of room for the 5 sets I pushed through with room to spare for twice that much.

Take a look at this thread - http://coloradofans.com/forums/177-2nd-gen-interior/357298-console-removal.html :wink2:

PS...while I ran the sub and crossover wires up the center, I did run the amp feed up the side, which I had in split loom conduit....and still had a little extra room for any future wiring up the sides.

Reactions: maxbee25
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.