Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a really good wrinkle/texture type finish, paint that's extremely durable. I'm thinking about spraying the power bulge on my ZR2 hood as the smooth finish it has just doesn't look good to me. It's like it's missing something. I'm looking for a paint or material that's weatherproof and sun proof/resistant. If anybody's got any other ideas that will help me accomplish my goal, I'm all ears (and quite a bit mouth too :wink2:) Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Does anyone know of a really good wrinkle/texture type finish, paint that's extremely durable. I'm thinking about spraying the power bulge on my ZR2 hood as the smooth finish it has just doesn't look good to me. It's like it's missing something. I'm looking for a paint or material that's weatherproof and sun proof/resistant. If anybody's got any other ideas that will help me accomplish my goal, I'm all ears (and quite a bit mouth too :wink2:) Thanks in advance...

I would suggest trying the look with flat black plastidip before you permanently change anything. You might even like the look of it and decide to keep it, but if you don't, it peels off easy in one big sheet. Another option for sun proof durability is line x. Have your local certified line x shop spray it, or pair it on yourself. I too have looked at it while driving and wondered why it's so smooth. Just doesn't look quite right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest trying the look with flat black plastidip before you permanently change anything. You might even like the look of it and decide to keep it, but if you don't, it peels off easy in one big sheet. Another option for sun proof durability is line x. Have your local certified line x shop spray it, or pair it on yourself. I too have looked at it while driving and wondered why it's so smooth. Just doesn't look quite right.

I'm pretty set on some type of wrinkle finish for the power bulge. Line-X did cross my mind but I don't think it could be sprayed thin enough to look good. Getting off topic a bit I did have my ZR2 rock sliders sprayed with Line-X as well as my Super Skidz Shields and I plan to also spray the truck rockers with Line-X color match. Rhino Liners make a spray similar to Line-X called Hybrid that can be sprayed quite thin. I'm looking into that . I've looked intensely at pictures of the ZR2 power bulge, like you and similar to your observation there is something that just doesn't look right to me as well. IMHO, I think a wrinkle type flat black finish on the power bulge would look good and I know you can buy wrinkle finish in spray cans but how long will the color last in the sun and weather after a certain amount of time. I want to spray it and forget about it. The texture of the Rhino Hybrid has what I'm looking for, I just need to find out if it's UV protected in some way.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm pretty set on some type of wrinkle finish for the power bulge. Line-X did cross my mind but I don't think it could be sprayed thin enough to look good. Getting off topic a bit I did have my ZR2 rock sliders sprayed with Line-X as well as my Super Skidz Shields and I plan to also spray the truck rockers with Line-X color match. Rhino Liners make a spray similar to Line-X called Hybrid that can be sprayed quite thin. I'm looking into that . I've looked intensely at pictures of the ZR2 power bulge, like you and similar to your observation there is something that just doesn't look right to me as well. IMHO, I think a wrinkle type flat black finish on the power bulge would look good and I know you can buy wrinkle finish in spray cans but how long will the color last in the sun and weather after a certain amount of time. I want to spray it and forget about it. The texture of the Rhino Hybrid has what I'm looking for, I just need to find out if it's UV protected in some way.

I'll have to look into that rhino hybrid, sounds like a good product to use on many things.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about a vinyl wrap? Not sure if there are any textured wraps, but there are lots of cool matte finishes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've thought about that as well and checked into it but no one up here makes a wrap with a textured finish. Also, G2SKIER, I checked on the Rhino Hybrid and apparently they can spray it less than 1/16" thick but it doesn't stick to any kind of plastic, and here I thought that stuff would stick to water. I found a product called Riloplast which looks like it would fit the bill but it seems it's only available in Europe(Italy to be exact) and I wonder, considering it's a type of paint, could I even have it shipped over to here. Oh well, I'm going to keep looking and if I come up with something I'll post it here. I'm also hoping that someone will read this thread and come up with a product that might work. Thanks for you input guys.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Regular Rust-Oleum truck bed liner in a rattle can has a nice textured finish and is easy to apply, goes on even, looks good.
I don't know if I'd spray it on my hood though...lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regular Rust-Oleum truck bed liner in a rattle can has a nice textured finish and is easy to apply, goes on even, looks good.
I don't know if I'd spray it on my hood though...lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spray on bedliner/undercoat in a can was another option I was looking at but decided against it because it would eventually fade and wear off plus, I'd probably screw it up when I applied it. Doing body work and vehicle painting is not one of my strong suites. I'm more of a mechanical gearhead type person.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
VHT makes a wrinkle finish spray paint. It's tuff stuff, intended for valve covers, oil pans and engine parts. The stuff I have used was kinda matte black with a nice wrinkle. I think they have several colors.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
VHT makes a wrinkle finish spray paint. It's tuff stuff, intended for valve covers, oil pans and engine parts. The stuff I have used was kinda matte black with a nice wrinkle. I think they have several colors.

Yeah, I've seen that stuff as well. It looks good but I have to be absolutely positive of whatever I use and to make sure I get the results I want because I don't want to have to buy another power bulge for my truck from GM at about $300.00 a pop. I'm slowly beginning to believe that whatever I do, it will have to be professionally done by someone who will guarantee their work, so if they "F" it up, it will be fixed or replaced at no cost to me. One of the problems I have found with the spray bomb type of wrinkle paint is it has to be heated after application to completely cure. The hood bulge is too big to put in your oven and if I did, my wife would basically kill me. Actually, she'd probably just nag me to death. :wink2:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that stuff as well. It looks good but I have to be absolutely positive of whatever I use and to make sure I get the results I want because I don't want to have to buy another power bulge for my truck from GM at about $300.00 a pop. I'm slowly beginning to believe that whatever I do, it will have to be professionally done by someone who will guarantee their work, so if they "F" it up, it will be fixed or replaced at no cost to me. One of the problems I have found with the spray bomb type of wrinkle paint is it has to be heated after application to completely cure. The hood bulge is too big to put in your oven and if I did, my wife would basically kill me. Actually, she'd probably just nag me to death. :wink2:

I think you can remove it for painting. Use a heat lamp for curing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.