Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ok. First accident ever in 15 years.

Hit ice on an overpass and lost the back end at only about 40mph, fish tailed a little back and forth, and then it swung around and had me sideways and hit the concrete divider, came to rest almost perfectly on the side of the interstate just clearing traffic. Driver side front end smashed to hell and into wheel. Luckily, no injuries, no air bag deployment, no other vehicles involved.

Had about 240lbs of sand in the back and the roads were pretty clear, 25 miles and no problems then wrecked only ten minutes from home. :x

Generals are like driving on Tonka truck plastic wheels. I was just going to get through one more winter and then replace them soon. :x

I had to go sign some forms so I got to take a look at her.

Not as bad as I originally thought. The bumper absorbed most of it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
glad you didn't get hurt. hope it isn't too much to get your truck fixed. and d*** generals.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
State Farm is taking care of everything for only my $250 deductible and I even get a little fun car POS for free until it's done.

Yeah, the Generals are gone as soon as I get it back.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That F'n sucks. I gotta get rid of my Generals too. I just love it when they squeal every time I turn a corner not matter how fast or slow you are going.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
FCTE said:
State Farm is taking care of everything for only my $250 deductible and I even get a little fun car POS for free until it's done.

Yeah, the Generals are gone as soon as I get it back.
See if the insurance company can include it in the price of repair. It might be worth it seeing as your drivers side tire is flat.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I talked to the repair shop today and they started tearing her apart. He just old me it's worse than it looks and the frame on the corner is badly damaged and the whole frame has to be replaced.

I don't think State Farm is going to go for that. It's blue book is about $13,000.00.

So I better dig out my GAP insurance plan. I will not be buying another Colorado.

If they do spring for a repair I'll probably keep it until Summer and save up a down payment and dump it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So they are going to rebuild it, new frame.

Damage $8500.00

Estimated time of finished repair................February 29th. :shock:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hahah Sorry to say it man, But my 9000 dollar repair was supposed to take a month too, Well 2.5 months later ran like a beauty. Glad to hear your Ok, and Hope it goes well. If I were you I'd get a jacked quote then go somewhere cheaper. You pocket the change, and then pay for some new tires!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
colorado_clean said:
Hahah Sorry to say it man, But my 9000 dollar repair was supposed to take a month too, Well 2.5 months later ran like a beauty. Glad to hear your Ok, and Hope it goes well. If I were you I'd get a jacked quote then go somewhere cheaper. You pocket the change, and then pay for some new tires!
State Farm has it from here, all I pay is a $250 deductible.

They have to finish the repair in a certain time frame or else they deal with State Farm who is paying for it.

You got screwed if it took 2.5 months for a repair, you could build the truck from scratch for that.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Haha, well the wreck was not my fault. And It was the MOST greuling incident of my life. I had to deal with state farms harrasing calls, and they constantly questioned me to call the dealer for them and It was just wretched! They tried to take my rental back. Long story short, Not only was the dealer horrible, But so was the insurance company. Not to mention the :censored: who hit me and cause me to ram into a telephone pole was arrested for drunk driving.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That blows.

Luckily, State Farm has been very nice and the whole process so far has been pretty painless.

I'm going to have to pay some on the rental though. Currently, I have a Ford Taurus because that is all they had (so many other wrecks needing rentals) at $27/day.

State Farm has a cap of $25 a day and no more than $600 total and when all is said and done if the truck is finished on the 29th, I will have had this rental for 23 days.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fixed after a month. They did a pretty good job, everything fits together pretty good. The only thing is it seems they left some clips off of the bottom of the grill and it has fallen back into the truck so I have to go get that taken care of.

They did replace the whole frame and the guy showed me the old frame still on the lot.

One of my machine shop guys at work used to own his own collision repair shop and he builds hot rods so I had him look it over and he said they did a good job. He didn't like the way some of the pieces went together because he's a perfectionist, but I'm not that picky. I'm going to keep it for now.

I also got the Michelins put on today, be gone Generals, these Michelins ride like a dream. The guy at NTB said his two biggest complaints on tires are Generals and Continentals, mostly OEMs, and both tires are made under the umbrella of the same company.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, they're nice, love the lettering too, the black was just too boring.

World of difference in handling, the Generals were like driving on basketballs. If I had these Michelins on when I lost the back end I probably could have recovered without wrecking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts