Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone like these stock Goodyear wranglers? I just bought my '18 with about 20k miles on it with what I assume are the OE Wranglers.

We're having some snow, etc here - what an absolutely terrible tire. @20k miles, the tread is marginal at most and they just feel greasy and unplanted, even on just wet pavement. I dont even want to imagine taking them on some wetter dirt/gravel roads.

My last experience with Goodyear Wranglers was in the 90's on an S-10 that i dearly loved, but they were junk tires back then, and apparently still junk tires today. Can't wait to get rid of them.

Sorry for the rant. Searching tire/wheel packages now for the Spring!

·
Registered
2018 Colorado 4x4 LT
23 Posts
Was surprised when I went to get my tires replaced because of exceptionally poor snow handling (Bought my Colorado used and AFAIK they were the original tires) and the guy at the tire shop recommended a wider tire than stock and it was not only cheaper than the Good Year Wrangler I was thinking of but had better specs across the board in terms of handing, rated longevity, stopping, and traction.

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado 4WD WT CCSB
153 Posts
I have Wrangler Fortitude HT tires on my 2017 Colorado. They are not offroad tires. But they have performed well for me on highways even on cold wet roads. Admittedly, I live in the South so have little experience with them in snow.

I have about 24,000 miles on the tires and I'm guessing there are at least that many miles left.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just put a set of Toyo Uplander HT on my 3018 W/T. Love them. A little more aggressive than the stock Fortitude but quite on the road and no mpg hit. 600 miles. Good in rain and pasture.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Does anyone like these stock Goodyear wranglers? I just bought my '18 with about 20k miles on it with what I assume are the OE Wranglers.

We're having some snow, etc here - what an absolutely terrible tire. @20k miles, the tread is marginal at most and they just feel greasy and unplanted, even on just wet pavement. I dont even want to imagine taking them on some wetter dirt/gravel roads.

My last experience with Goodyear Wranglers was in the 90's on an S-10 that i dearly loved, but they were junk tires back then, and apparently still junk tires today. Can't wait to get rid of them.

Sorry for the rant. Searching tire/wheel packages now for the Spring!
The biggest issue I had with them is I kept getting punctures. The tires are thin for low rolling resistance. Put on a set of Cooper AT3s in the heavier LT flavor, no more punctures. 20K miles on them now, I wonder if these beefy tires will ever wear out on my little Canyon. It does ride stiffer, but it is not obnoxious.

Reactions: Da Grouch

·
Registered
702 Posts
Those on my 2016 are pretty useless in snow, but I don’t expect good snow tires as original equipment, and I certainly wouldn’t want offroad tires. They are suitable street tires.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Well Goodyear makes a number of Wrangler tires in various forms and types.

The tires that are OE are built to a spec and price for MFG’s that generally are a compromise of ride, handling, traction for on and off road. Then Goodyear has to price it cheap to win the contract.

Every mfg has to play this game and why so many tires are now Korean and other lesser brand name today.

MFG really don’t want to pay much for tires unless it is a EV or a high end performance package.

Goodyear has a number of good off road tires and they also share the wrangler name. Same for on road tires.

As far as automakers are they in many cases just want something that will get the vehicle out of the plant and off the dealer lot.

O had Michelin tires on my last two vehicles and both were total crap. One was a performance tire with no grip and the other was a passenger tire that was worn out at 18k miles. But that does not mean Michelin is all junk as they have a lot of better tires to choose from.

The Hankooks I had on my Terrain had little wer traction and no snow traction. They were the worst but again OE tires.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Short Box LT
252 Posts
First experienced Wranglers in the 80’s. Was not impressed and swore never to go back to them. Have the Wrangler Fortitudes on my Collie. So far they have been decent on the snow and ice. I’ll see what’s available when they outlive their usefulness.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The stock GY Wrangler Adventurer tires were crap. I didn't realize just how bad they were until I replaced them with Continental Terrain Contact HT's (never go off-road anymore). Like night and day difference. The GY Wrangler Fortitude HT's I have now (new truck) are pretty decent although I heard they start cracking and failing early in their life. I'll be changing these to Conti's at the first sign of issues.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Hmm I just saw Goodyear finally completed the purchase of Cooper tire. The only two American tire companies left are now owned by Goodyear.

Cooper FYI also makes private brand tires Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek.

Goodyear also controls Dunlop tire outside of Asia along with Kelly Springfield and lee tire.

I had heard something was being worked on but never knew it was this far along.

This is a pretty big deal.

The foreign companies all own the other American brands like Firestone, General BFG and Uniroyal.

·
Registered
11,988 Posts
Well Goodyear makes a number of Wrangler tires in various forms and types.

The tires that are OE are built to a spec and price for MFG’s that generally are a compromise of ride, handling, traction for on and off road. Then Goodyear has to price it cheap to win the contract.

Every mfg has to play this game and why so many tires are now Korean and other lesser brand name today.

MFG really don’t want to pay much for tires unless it is a EV or a high end performance package.

Goodyear has a number of good off road tires and they also share the wrangler name. Same for on road tires.

As far as automakers are they in many cases just want something that will get the vehicle out of the plant and off the dealer lot.

O had Michelin tires on my last two vehicles and both were total crap. One was a performance tire with no grip and the other was a passenger tire that was worn out at 18k miles. But that does not mean Michelin is all junk as they have a lot of better tires to choose from.

The Hankooks I had on my Terrain had little wer traction and no snow traction. They were the worst but again OE tires.
I have said this before. The Wranglers on my Canyon wore great, at 70K, they still had some tread left. I hated them after about the first 10K miles, no wet traction, I was very scared of them. I switched to Michelin Defender LTs and couldn't believe the improvement in wet traction. At 25K, I had a nail hole plugged, and the guy at Discount Tire where I purchased them expressed his dismay that I had to plug a brand new tire, he couldn't believe I already had that much mileage on them.

Don't get many opportunities to check out the snow traction, I can say the tires on my Silverado were not all that great on the ice last week. Snow traction was acceptable.

Reactions: hyperv6

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I have said this before. The Wranglers on my Canyon wore great, at 70K, they still had some tread left. I hated them after about the first 10K miles, no wet traction, I was very scared of them. I switched to Michelin Defender LTs and couldn't believe the improvement in wet traction. At 25K, I had a nail hole plugged, and the guy at Discount Tire where I purchased them expressed his dismay that I had to plug a brand new tire, he couldn't believe I already had that much mileage on them.

Don't get many opportunities to check out the snow traction, I can say the tires on my Silverado were not all that great on the ice last week. Snow traction was acceptable.
Tires come down to matching the right tires to expectation. OE tires kind of shoot for the middle of it all and try to be the jack of situations but never a master of any,

I had Wranglers on my S10 and Sonoma. I got great tread wear. They also provided great snow and wet. They were the Wranglers with the asymmetrical tread and not the standard OE wranglers. They were great tires. I'm trying to recall the name on them.

I also had a set of Wranglers on a plow truck years ago. We use them to plow all winter with no drama and then we used Mud Terrains BFG for summer driving for looks. The muds were horrid for snow but they are not really intended for snow.
Truck tires are much like athletic shoes. If you get Air Jordans for a Marathon you will have a miserable run. Same for great running shoes and you are playing hoops.

When it comes to tires it is important to buy the most up to date model with the correct tread for the use you plan. No matter the brand they all have good and bad tires and usually the older the model the worse it is compared to others. My crappy Michelins were older models sold for OE. They were trash but I also know Michelin does make better tires.

I did go with Goodyears latest on the wife ride once the Michelins were worn out at 18,000 miles. So far they are at 16,000 and not showing any where. The difference is better compounding of the newer tire. Michelin had a newer tire to but I try to support the local American company if I can.

Too often people just think tires are all the same and it once was true. They just held air. But today they are specially tuned and designed and you really have to read up on what they are intended for or you may be disappointed.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Cooper also makes IronMan tires

Reactions: hyperv6

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Cooper sells a lot of tires to Chinese OE companies. Go figure the get American tires while we get Korean Hankooks...

·
Registered
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 in Silver Ice Metallic
299 Posts
I got pretty good service out of my Kevlar Wranglers that came with the truck up until about the 40,000 mile mark when they started to break loose constantly in the rain. When I lifted the truck at 43,000 I replaced those with the Toyo Open Country AT3's and am super happy with them given my recent experiences in wet, icy, and snowy roads. If I get good long term service out of them then I will definitely purchase them again.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mine work fine. See no reason to blow $800 on new tires.

But lemme know if the grass really is greener.

·
Registered
11,988 Posts
Mine work fine. See no reason to blow $800 on new tires.

But lemme know if the grass really is greener.
After 70k, I figured I could blow some money on new tires. Grass was greener, but I left off one point. I think the Defenders were slightly worse on gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The Wrangler Radials we had on the plow truck went about 70,000 miles. They wore great. A couple years after the truck was sold I saw it with the same tires on at a used car lot. The Mud Terrains did not last long as they got trashed in an accident.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts