Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
487 Posts
The All terrain is a nice deal. Loaded up and well priced. I think that package is one of the nicest looking of the twins.
The $8k Delta between the two is a ton of fuel, especially if your not towing frequently or prefer the diesel. Plus that's near $150/Mo off the payment. That's quite noticeable.
My full loaded up Diesel LT was much less than the price of a mid level Diesel canyon and I just don't see the big value there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
So I won the lemon law, might come up a bit ahead but deff not owing anything and now I'm torn between these 2.

Thoughts? - Btw, I don't care about delalership distance

v6 Allterrain 4wd SLE 30-31k loan ~33k -34k
https://www.kendallautomall.com/inventory/1GTG6CEN5H1268082?utm_source=CarGurus&utm_medium=referral

2.8 Duramax 4wd ~38K Loan ~41k -42k
Fremont Buick GMC - New and Pre-owned Vehicles

My current lemon

Thoughts??
I would avoid that Kendall Automotive. I worked in the industry for years and I don’t hate dealerships, but I hate deceptive pricing tactics like that. Read the disclaimer on their pricing. Such BS. I’m a bit partial, but I agree that the All Terrain is the best looking and best value.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Go to Laura Buick/GMC and get that long box 4x4 diesel with an SLT package for "free" compared to your listings. I did a fly and buy there, Laura's prices are for real - you pay what is listed, plus $169 in Doc fees which gets you a temp tag to drive home on. They will pick you up at St. Louis airport for free too. I was picked up with 3 other "fly and buyers" from all around the country. They do this all the time.
Was out of there in 1.5 hours driving home in my new truck after arriving - it was easy peasy. Once I got home, I needed to get a VIN verification (free at my local police dept) and paid TTL, got plates in my home state. No tax is collected at the dealership.

Funny thing was, I live south of Denver, 840 miles away from this dealer, and saw another new Canyon with a Laura plate on it while driving near my house a few days later. We smiled and waved at each other :smile:

Shop GMC Canyon Vehicles in St Louis at Laura Buick GMC

Reactions: Brayan Rosales

·
Registered
141 Posts
I second the Laura Buick/GMC. I live in MS and drove up there at the end of October last year and bought my 2016 Canyon duramax. Between my trade in on my 2000 toyota tacoma 4x4, I walked out at 10k off sticker. I couldn't have gotten much off sticker for a duramax anywhere within 200 miles of where I live in Mississippi. While there at Laura, my salesman told me that they had clients from all 48 continental states flying in and driving back home.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So I won the lemon law, might come up a bit ahead but deff not owing anything and now I'm torn between these 2.

Thoughts? - Btw, I don't care about delalership distance

v6 Allterrain 4wd SLE 30-31k loan ~33k -34k
https://www.kendallautomall.com/inventory/1GTG6CEN5H1268082?utm_source=CarGurus&utm_medium=referral

2.8 Duramax 4wd ~38K Loan ~41k -42k
Fremont Buick GMC - New and Pre-owned Vehicles

My current lemon

Thoughts??
What was the issue that caused the lemon law?

·
Registered
216 Posts
go all terrain, you will love it!!!

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Diesel gets my vote but why's it so expensive? Thats about what mine cost NEW in 2016

***EDIT*** Misread I thought that was a USED price you were quoting. Price seems legit for a new truck

·
Registered
177 Posts
Unless you are going to do a lot of towing, forget the diesel!! The new V-6 is a great engine and the new 8 speed transmission is a great setup. That's what I have, love it!!!
This is what I've read as well. Diesel is your E-ticket for off road crawling and heavy duty towing. Gasoline for spirited rush hour street fighting.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Unless you are going to do a lot of towing, forget the diesel!! The new V-6 is a great engine and the new 8 speed transmission is a great setup. That's what I have, love it!!!

Have to agree with this. Unless you tow, whether you off road or not, you really won’t pay back the cost difference in less than 10yrs. Have the v6/8spd and love it. Shifts through gears very smooth and even when it downshifts you don’t feel it. Has great pickup, on par with the 5.3. Diesel is for towing. Even if you off road it it won’t make a difference a $5 gas can can’t fix.

Have a ZR2 for reference, so a z71 ‘should’ be faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Living in Denver, I am glad I got the diesel. The high elevation here sucks the life out of naturally aspirated engines. Took my truck for a trip in the mountains, was motoring by everybody while locked out 6th gear going up a 6% grade at over 10,000 feet. Now a 3.6 with a Mallett Supercharger kit on it would be a whole different and completely awesome story. Really though, it goes beyond discussing facts and figures, and it just comes down that cool and different diesel vibe in a handy sized truck. If you like it, it is worth it :smile:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Living in Denver, I am glad I got the diesel. The high elevation here sucks the life out of naturally aspirated engines. Took my truck for a trip in the mountains, was motoring by everybody while locked out 6th gear going up a 6% grade at over 10,000 feet. Now a 3.6 with a Mallett Supercharger kit on it would be a whole different and completely awesome story. Really though, it goes beyond discussing facts and figures, and it just comes down that cool and different diesel vibe in a handy sized truck. If you like it, it is worth it :smile:
True, the only way I'd want the gas engine is boosted.

Brayan, that All Terrain with a Mallet Supercharger would be about the same amount ~38K as the Minimax, just saying.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I agree and double down on the v6 8 speed tranny. For a little truck this thing is a monster!

Gusto

·
Registered
345 Posts
True, the only way I'd want the gas engine is boosted.

Brayan, that All Terrain with a Mallet Supercharger would be about the same amount ~38K as the Minimax, just saying.
That's unfair to compare to, cause a Mallet would smoke a tuned DMax all day. It'd run circles around it. No matter the tuning the diesel isn't breaking 250HP. While the Mallet would put down 400 of each. Either way, really comes down to what you want out of the truck. Can't go wrong with either application imo.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It's only comparable in price, which is what I said. He's getting his diesel bought back, the amount of which presumably comes somewhere between the 31K and 38K truck price points he posted. So if you could roll a $7K supercharger (which, while worth it, is stratospherically outside of most people's bolt on purchasing budget) into a price that is roughly similar to the diesel you just got out of (which may or may not have left a bad taste, sort of lemony), wouldn't you?

Functionally, that's a whole different discussion. The takeway, however, is that boost is best.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I'd say go with an 8 speed V6. I haven't seen any evidence that the cold side IC hose has been improved. I doubt that failing another after all of this would be a good feeling.

The turbo replacement was a monumental dealer screw-up and that's just a crap shoot with either choice. Turns out turbos don't achieve correct boost with split cooler hoses. Whodathunkit?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.