Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda hard to believe GM would provide wireless phone charging in my 2021 Canyon Denali that is not large enough to fit my Galaxy S-21 smart phone. I'm not much of a complainer, but, the Denali falls short on some things one would expect in the top of the line trim option. 'Jus sayin'...

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Kinda hard to believe GM would provide wireless phone charging in my 2021 Canyon Denali that is not large enough to fit my Galaxy S-21 smart phone. I'm not much of a complainer, but, the Denali falls short on some things one would expect in the top of the line trim option. 'Jus sayin'...
That part was designed long before giant phones became the trend. GM could have the part redesigned and probably will when they redesign the rest of the interior. Of course a little research on your part would have found out the cut out was small as the issue has been discussed to death here. 'Jus sayin'...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 74 yr old self is not terribly proficient with the forum tools,, and as I said I'm not much of a complainer and it's not a deal breaker. Sorry if I offended you.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
My 74 yr old self is not terribly proficient with the forum tools, . . ..
Not quite as old as you (60s), but I was going to make a fun of your post title: Hopefully all phones in our trucks are wireless. Otherwise the phone cord would need to be very long! :LOL:

As to the topic, wireless charging is over-rated IMHO, particularly since most Android Auto and Car Play devices require a cord connection for data.

The only wireless charging device I've ever had is my electric toothbrush, and that's because that's the only way it was sold.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
That part was designed long before giant phones became the trend.
Probably designed by an iPhone user. Apple, in it's Apple-like way, didn't think people should have larger phones so didn't sell them for a long time. An Android user would have designed a larger space much earlier.

Also, this is just consistent with all the other design flaws of the interior (e.g. controls). Colorado interiors are not a strong point for the truck.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
The I phone max and max pro has been around long before the Colorado returned.

GM whiffed on this. The problem now is the standard I phone will not fit if in a thin case it has to be with out a case. I just went back to the 13 Pro Max as it has something like 28 hours of charge time on continuous video play. If for some reason I need a charge I have a cord.

GM is reacting as our new Acadia has a larger charger in it so I expect the next gen will get a proper charger. That is if the chip issue is resolved by then.

What was worse is when the charger appeared in 17 it was the gen behind. I had to upgrade mine to the new QI charger.

As for the Denali Canyon. If they offered every whim the price would respond to it and in a mid size truck people will only pay so much. Right now with the Denali they offer discounts to where it is a price people will pay. I got mine below $40k and for the price they wanted for a SLT with less options. They would not move the discount over. They had sat on the Denali about 2 months and wanted to move it.

One other issue was this truck is on the old GM architecture. I believe they held back some items till the new truck arrived to better deal with them like adaptive cruise and all the related cameras for the other warning things.

The mid size truck was selling well and there are other products that sell better and make more profit that get the investment first. The full size trucks needed interiors and some upgrades as they pay for the investment in our trucks and other models that are less profitable.

My hope is HUD is offered in the next Denali. Will see.

·
Registered
2021 Z71 Midnight Edition
115 Posts
I have an iPhone 13pro and the wireless charger works with my apple leather case I have it in. No need to remove the case. It does have to sit a certain way on the charger though.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
According to this link it wasn't until September 2014 that the larger iPhone screen options existed. The second generation was well developed by that point--it may have even been being produced.

Ironically, Android has gone the other direction. It's now difficult to get a high end or even mid-range Android phone with a smaller screen.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
I have an iPhone 13pro and the wireless charger works with my apple leather case I have it in. No need to remove the case. It does have to sit a certain way on the charger though.
Yes you have to play with it but you can get it to work. Mine would cut off if you hit bumps. I had the leather case too. If you take the case off it fit as it should.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
According to this link it wasn't until September 2014 that the larger iPhone screen options existed. The second generation was well developed by that point--it may have even been being produced.

Ironically, Android has gone the other direction. It's now difficult to get a high end or even mid-range Android phone with a smaller screen.
6 plus was out in 13 as a 14 model.

The charger was never installed till 17 and only then in the Denali and ZR 2. It then lacked the new QI charging the phone companies offered then.

While automakers are not privy to everything phone companies do GM had two years to adjust the console plastic but never did. The room is there they just needed change the mold.

As of now my batter last over a day so I am not too concerned. I did not the truck for the charger.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
My 74 yr old self is not terribly proficient with the forum tools,, and as I said I'm not much of a complainer and it's not a deal breaker. Sorry if I offended you.
No offense was taken but at 72, I'm not real sympathetic. Searching here isn't difficult and if you use Google, you can always use it by typing in "Coloradofans" plus the topic to find info here. .

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts

GM whiffed on this. The problem now is the standard I phone will not fit if in a thin case it has to be with out a case. I just went back to the 13 Pro Max as it has something like 28 hours of charge time on continuous video play. If for some reason I need a charge I have a cord.

GM is reacting as our new Acadia has a larger charger in it so I expect the next gen will get a proper charger. That is if the chip issue is resolved by then.

What was worse is when the charger appeared in 17 it was the gen behind. I had to upgrade mine to the new QI charger.

As for the Denali Canyon. If they offered every whim the price would respond to it and in a mid size truck people will only pay so much. Right now with the Denali they offer discounts to where it is a price people will pay. I got mine below $40k and for the price they wanted for a SLT with less options. They would not move the discount over. They had sat on the Denali about 2 months and wanted to move it.

One other issue was this truck is on the old GM architecture. I believe they held back some items till the new truck arrived to better deal with them like adaptive cruise and all the related cameras for the other warning things.

The mid size truck was selling well and there are other products that sell better and make more profit that get the investment first. The full size trucks needed interiors and some upgrades as they pay for the investment in our trucks and other models that are less profitable.

My hope is HUD is offered in the next Denali. Will see.
I disagree to some extent. You need to consider that GM had the interior engineered at least 18 months before before the first model hit the dealerships. While there may have been some over sized phones available then, the vast majority were smaller and will easily fit. I look for GM to integrate a larger charger in the center console armrest. of course then someone will complain their tablet won't fit. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't get me wrong I love the truck, I expect the next generation will have all sorts of new features.
No offense was taken but at 72, I'm not real sympathetic. Searching here isn't difficult and if you use Google, you can always use it by typing in "Coloradofans" plus the topic to find info here. .

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I disagree to some extent. You need to consider that GM had the interior engineered at least 18 months before before the first model hit the dealerships. While there may have been some over sized phones available then, the vast majority were smaller and will easily fit.
I'm not sure what size is too big to fit, because I don't have WC on my truck. But 5+" displays were common on Android phones way back in 2014, but you may be right about the majority given the number of 4" iPhones back then.

·
Registered
2021 ZR2 CCSB Bright Blue Metallic
135 Posts
I replaced my useless (to me) wireless charger with the non-charger console to get a little bigger (deeper) cubby. I use Android Auto with a cord so my phone get's charged anyway on long trips. For short trips I don't need to charge my phone anyway so I either leave it in my pocket or put it in the now deeper cubby standing up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts