Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess you ZR2 guys are the lucky ones who get the wireless phone charger pad.
Does the thing work or should they have just made it a magnetic parts holder instead?
I would go to the trouble of putting one in my Z71 but before I do I would like some input as to the phone model compatibility and actual usefulness of it.
So, what phones does it charge and how well?
Or more specifically, since its my thread, will it charge a Galaxy S8? (cause that's what I have)(spoiler: YES)
This is a gem:
http://www.gmtotalconnect.ca/assets/pdf/GM_Wireless_Charging_Compatible_Device_USE_andCAE.pdf

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's too small to fit my Note8 into, so it's useless. Should have been a magnetic parts holder instead.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah my phone is too big too. I'm not sure what phone would actually fit in there other than older ones.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
The charger in mine was worthless as I had a Apple 7 plus.

It was too big and then not wireless charge.

Went to a Apple X that fits perfect but the factory module does not charge it.

So I ordered the new 2018 Sierra module and the adaptor wire that some one posted here and by the end of the week I should have a fully updated charger.

GM really disappointed on placement for the larger phone. The Apple finally got the larger screen on the smaller phone so that helped me.

If you did not see the thread here is the update. Even if you don’t need it now you may on a newer phone.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/385-2nd-gen-how-tutorials/377473-wireless-charging-pad-update-iphone-x.html

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
My Galaxy 8+ doesn't even come close to fitting, but oddly enough, when I set my sun glasses in that spot, the charging light comes on. I never knew my sun glasses were rechargeable! :surprise:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use Android Auto, so the charger is worthless.
That's also a good point. This is the first tow vehicle I've bought that had bluetooth audio, which I thought was awesome... until I realized we'd gone full circle and I needed to plug in my phone again in order to get all the Android Auto functionlity. LOL

Maybe someone will come out with something useful we can do with that wireless charger space.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sneaked in2 a ZR2 to try the charger and....YESSSSS!
It does charge a Samsung S8.
But it just barely fits. There is no way it will fit with a protective case on it.
The sides of the console are literally touching the top and bottom of the phone.
Which is 5 7/8" long.

So am I going to use it?
I would have to cut out slots in the sides cause Im not going without a case on my phone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is one of the features that excited me when looking at these trucks, then I realized my S8+ was too big. Would be nice if they could make a revised version of the cubby to accommodate larger phones.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
I sneaked in2 a ZR2 to try the charger and....YESSSSS!

It does charge a Samsung S8.

But it just barely fits. There is no way it will fit with a protective case on it.

The sides of the console are literally touching the top and bottom of the phone.

Which is 5 7/8" long.

So am I going to use it?

I would have to cut out slots in the sides cause Im not going without a case on my phone.

You can fix the fit problem with a heat gun and some pressure. Likely would not have to go as far as I did for the iPhone +

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
This is one of the features that excited me when looking at these trucks, then I realized my S8+ was too big. Would be nice if they could make a revised version of the cubby to accommodate larger phones.

Might watch the 2019 models as they may address this? If they do then it may be a simple bolt in.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Which phone did you manage to squeeze in there?

iPhone 7+, but I molded it to be able to fit my wife's galaxy S8+. Both fit fine now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
iPhone 7+, but I molded it to be able to fit my wife's galaxy S8+. Both fit fine now.

Interesting. I have the S8+ and would love to add wireless charging. Did heating the plastic discolor it or have any other undesired effects?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting. I have the S8+ and would love to add wireless charging. Did heating the plastic discolor it or have any other undesired effects?

Pretty sure I can buff out the light scratches, just have not tried to yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pretty sure I can buff out the light scratches, just have not tried to yet.

This is great, I'm going to have to order that piece and see if I can mold it like you did. Thanks for sharing this!

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Please give us a part number aand who you ordered from. Price?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts