Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I hadn't read this thread, not wanting wireless charging at all, but assuming that I had it in front of the gear shift lever. Good to know now that my truck doesn't have that BS. And yes I use the cubby.

I think wireless charging is a stupid idea in general, but when you need to connect via USB to use Android Auto it becomes moronic.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I’ve since taken delivery of my truck and would like to proceed with this mod.

Before I order the part, some questions please:

What’s the installation process, what do I have to remove inorder to carry this out? And any special tools necessary?

So there’s a hole in the ‘old’ center console storage compartment for a USB port? When OP says we can reuse our old port, what’smeant by that, as I have 2019 and there’s no port within the current center console storage compartment on my truck.

Last, what is a ‘buick shifter’. Does this mean we can add a BMW-esque shifter to our Colorado’s!?

Thanks and happy trucking! :)
I used trim tools I think they are called to get it started. I then started to just pull the whole thing up. I want to say there are 4 total connection points for wires. One in front left ish, one to the right front, one connected to one of those plastic push screws to keep tension off the connection, and one for the USB port. Once it's all disconnected it pulls out. The USB port has a couple springs on the side to keep it in the console.

After everything is removed you just push the USB back in, reconnect the USB, and push the whole console down. The hardest part for me was getting the wires undone because of very little space to get my hand in to do it.

I think you have to take the bezel around the shifter out as well, but I'm not positive since I had mine out anyway to change to the Buick shifter.

The Buick shifter is just a shifter from a Buick Envision. You can see it in my photo.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used trim tools I think they are called to get it started. I then started to just pull the whole thing up. I want to say there are 4 total connection points for wires. One in front left ish, one to the right front, one connected to one of those plastic push screws to keep tension off the connection, and one for the USB port. Once it's all disconnected it pulls out. The USB port has a couple springs on the side to keep it in the console.

After everything is removed you just push the USB back in, reconnect the USB, and push the whole console down. The hardest part for me was getting the wires undone because of very little space to get my hand in to do it.

I think you have to take the bezel around the shifter out as well, but I'm not positive since I had mine out anyway to change to the Buick shifter.

The Buick shifter is just a shifter from a Buick Envision. You can see it in my photo.

Very neat; thank you very much.

You replaced the shifter yourself as well?

This seems to be a popular mod for our trucks.

Can you please direct me to a thread for is too / do you have a part number for the shifter?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Great it's a DIY!

Link you provided isn't working, unfortunately.

Thanks.
Weird. Just go to the 2nd gen how to forums. It's fairly close to the top.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My 2018 Colorado Z71 does not have the wireless charger. What is the part number for it and how do I add it?
I wouldn't waste the money, no phone fits the mat and it is extremely finicky, that is, you have to position it just right for the phone to work, so it pretty much never works.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just did this swap today(getting rid of charger) and it was super easy. Took less than 10 mins. Use a thin tool to pop up trim around shifter and pry up around old box, only 1 connection underneath. New box did not come with usb and my old one didn't have it so I just capped the hole with the original cap. Got 2 usbs in the front and charge-only ones at the rear of the console, that's enough. Gonna keep the charger in case I need it if I sell truck someday.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Like you said I don't know what phone fits in this thing. Does GM even test features? None of my friends phone or my phone will sit in the thing to even charge.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have tried to order this console piece from three different places (Tasca, GM Parts Direct and GM Wholesale Direct) and all three cancelled the order stating the part is not available. According to GM Wholesale Direct it has been discontinued. Maybe @emulous74 or another GM employee can advise if this has been replaced with another part number.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have tried to order this console piece from three different places (Tasca, GM Parts Direct and GM Wholesale Direct) and all three cancelled the order stating the part is not available. According to GM Wholesale Direct it has been discontinued. Maybe @emulous74 or another GM employee can advise if this has been replaced with another part number.

Sorry, looks like I gave false information:

23238955 and 84505337 are the two part numbers listed for the Floor Console.

The 84505337 must be the latest one as it list 2019-2020 MY, where It's Usage description does say INDUCTIVE CHARGE FOR PROTABLE WIRELESS DEVICE

23238955 started being listed for 2015, but it is still used in 2019 - 2020 MY. It's Usage description says: EXC INDUCTIVE CHARGER FOR PORTABLE WIRELESS DEVICE

My mistake is when viewing with the diagram it lists usage and not the usage description.

·
Registered
55 Posts

23238955 and 84505337 are the two part numbers listed for the compartment without wireless charger. The 84505337 must be the latest one as it list 2019-2020 MY, where 23238955 started being listed for 2015, but it is still used in 2019 - 2020 MY.
Great thread and info. I too hate the fact that my Galaxy S10 won't charge on the tiny wireless pad, and the fact that I don't need it to charge because I'm using Android Auto.

I just ordered my cubby (part # 84505337 for my 2019 Colorado) and thank everyone here for making the process fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Please be aware that they upgraded the wireless charger in the 19s that’s have more charging coils.

·
Registered
308 Posts
FYI. I just received my order and it is exactly what I already have, which is with the wireless charger. I ordered part number 84505337and verified that the part I just got has that part number on the factory sticker. I don't know what the correct part number is for the compartment without wireless charging but it does not appear to be this one.

@avssuc did you get yours yet? Was it correct?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money, no phone fits the mat and it is extremely finicky, that is, you have to position it just right for the phone to work, so it pretty much never works.

My iPhone X with leather cover fits perfectly.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts