1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

First mod post here.

I have managed to get wireless carplay setup in the 2018 Colorado infotainment
Also have re-purposed the useless factory QI charging area into something functional.

Parts List:
carplay2air wireless adapter
iOttie - Easy One Touch 4 - HLCRIO134
Gorilla Construction Adhesive Ultimate - 052427005991
DAP Dynaflex Ultra 10.1 oz. Black - 070798182202
AMAZON USB Cable on / off switch - B07X82661H

Preface: I have a Console Vault so I did not mind drilling though the center console to run the micro usb cable to the QI Charger.

Behind the console I popped off the back piece, from there i popped out the 12v cig lighter style charger, I connected the included 12v style to the 12v charger and electrical taped it, from there I drilled two pass through holes through each side of the console all the way to the front of the QI charging area. I'm sure you can spend the time popping off the entire center console, again I have a console vault it hides all the wounds.
Once all holes were drilled i ran the micro usb through the holes. I had an extra USB 12v style socket from another project i threaded into the hole left from the 12v charger being removed and tucked behind back console piece. A faux charger looks better than a gaping hole.

Next step mounting the QI charger.
I ran it with the included sticky pad for a few days until a passenger of mine who was slightly intoxicated knocked it off lol
So I took the bottom of the QI charger mounting pad and peeled off the sticky pad, next take a razor blade and score it nice and deep cross hatched.
I took a cut off wheel and cut notches out for the little rubber boomerangs on edge side, I wanted this unit to sit completely flat.
From there I took the gorilla ultimate and glued it down directly to the wireless charge Area.
Let the glue cure.

With carplay, there is no need to have the phone on the dash. The placement is wonderful by the armrest. I can pull over and easilly access my phone very comfortable with the armrest. Also many of you have probably experienced everything flying off from the QI area, now with the base there, it helps keep things, pens, keys etc from sliding off.
After letting the glue cure for a day, I caulked around the hole I drilled to run the cable to the QI Charger and around the base of the mounting pad. This step is optional, I just wanted a cleaner look and to keep dust and dirt from collecting around base. This caulking is very heavy duty for exterior purposes and blends in beautifully with the factory plastic.

NOW WIRELESS CARPLAY

Purchased the adapter online direct from manufacturer use code: express for free express shipping. Arrived pretty fast.
The wireless Carplay works great after setup with one caveat.

You have to unplug and plug back in to sort of wake up the USB connection. I purchased the USB on off switch from amazon to avoid adding wear and tear on the carplay adapter, a simple flick on and off and it tricks the carplay into thinking i just plugged the cable in. It was acting up when trying to setup up front, the one in the center console works well.

I know its not perfect but Its a lot better then messing with plugging and unplugging. A quick on and off switch you don't really have to think about it, and it connects the phone to carplay automatically.
Bluetooth and wifi must be on. The phone connects to bluetooth then connects to the carplay adapter using wifi direct and then you'll connect to carplay as usual no wires. Shop around amazon, I'm sure they have cheaper alternatives, this is just my setup.

Reactions: iNomis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

First mod post here.

I have managed to get wireless carplay setup in the 2018 Colorado infotainment
Also have re-purposed the useless factory QI charging area into something functional.

Parts List:
carplay2air wireless adapter
iOttie - Easy One Touch 4 - HLCRIO134
Gorilla Construction Adhesive Ultimate - 052427005991
DAP Dynaflex Ultra 10.1 oz. Black - 070798182202
AMAZON USB Cable on / off switch - B07X82661H

Preface: I have a Console Vault so I did not mind drilling though the center console to run the micro usb cable to the QI Charger.

Behind the console I popped off the back piece, from there i popped out the 12v cig lighter style charger, I connected the included 12v style to the 12v charger and electrical taped it, from there I drilled two pass through holes through each side of the console all the way to the front of the QI charging area. I'm sure you can spend the time popping off the entire center console, again I have a console vault it hides all the wounds.
Once all holes were drilled i ran the micro usb through the holes. I had an extra USB 12v style socket from another project i threaded into the hole left from the 12v charger being removed and tucked behind back console piece. A faux charger looks better than a gaping hole.

Next step mounting the QI charger.
I ran it with the included sticky pad for a few days until a passenger of mine who was slightly intoxicated knocked it off lol
So I took the bottom of the QI charger mounting pad and peeled off the sticky pad, next take a razor blade and score it nice and deep cross hatched.
I took a cut off wheel and cut notches out for the little rubber boomerangs on edge side, I wanted this unit to sit completely flat.
From there I took the gorilla ultimate and glued it down directly to the wireless charge Area.
Let the glue cure.

With carplay, there is no need to have the phone on the dash. The placement is wonderful by the armrest. I can pull over and easilly access my phone very comfortable with the armrest. Also many of you have probably experienced everything flying off from the QI area, now with the base there, it helps keep things, pens, keys etc from sliding off.
After letting the glue cure for a day, I caulked around the hole I drilled to run the cable to the QI Charger and around the base of the mounting pad. This step is optional, I just wanted a cleaner look and to keep dust and dirt from collecting around base. This caulking is very heavy duty for exterior purposes and blends in beautifully with the factory plastic.

NOW WIRELESS CARPLAY

Purchased the adapter online direct from manufacturer use code: express for free express shipping. Arrived pretty fast.
The wireless Carplay works great after setup with one caveat.

You have to unplug and plug back in to sort of wake up the USB connection. I purchased the USB on off switch from amazon to avoid adding wear and tear on the carplay adapter, a simple flick on and off and it tricks the carplay into thinking i just plugged the cable in. It was acting up when trying to setup up front, the one in the center console works well.

I know its not perfect but Its a lot better then messing with plugging and unplugging. A quick on and off switch you don't really have to think about it, and it connects the phone to carplay automatically.
Bluetooth and wifi must be on. The phone connects to bluetooth then connects to the carplay adapter using wifi direct and then you'll connect to carplay as usual no wires. Shop around amazon, I'm sure they have cheaper alternatives, this is just my setup.
This is great. Since the Infotainment system changed from the 2018 to 2019 models the new 2019 models do not support the Carplay2air adapter. When the Carplay2air adapter is plugged into the USB the Infotainment system attempts to read it and determine what kind of device it is, which causes issues for the system. The navigation system fails, the audio system crashes and the Apple Car Play will not recognize it. I've tested the unit on other vehicles and it works fine, it just doesn't work in the 2019 Colorado, which is extremely disappointing. It's time for Chevy to just add wireless CarPlay to their infotainment system since most vehicles already have GPS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts