Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else formed these weird spots when the outside of the window gets foggy? They look like hard water spots and appear everywhere on the outside. I bought this truck knowing that it was used up north, so I was thinking it may be linked to the salt or weather they have up there. Any way to remove them?

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Years ago GM reboxed Ajax powdered cleaner as a windshield cleaner. It would remove the most stubborn hard water spots. Came in a black and white container with a GM part number. I may still have some buried on the shelf.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The polishing works good.

First step is use a good quality window cleaner to remove any actual dirt.

I follow that with an application of Goof Off using one of those blue shop towels (you'll notice a greyish-black residue on the towel)

After that I'll break out my Porter Cable 7424 with some Menzerna final polish (this is a very fine cut polish) and use a finish pad (again fine cut) the pad I have is white, and when I polish my windshield I'll have more of that grayish-black residue come off.

Finish with another application of window cleaner to remove the polish residue.

(I'll do the above steps whenever I change my wiper blades)

If you so choose, you can apply Rain-X at this point.

I have heard of guys using a clay bar or ultra fine steel wool (0000 or better) to take residue off the windshield too.

As far as Ajax goes, stuff called "Bon Ami" or "Bar Keepers Friend" works just as well, and neither is as harsh on your hands as Ajax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.