Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my new 2020 - the rear passenger windows are tinted (crew cab) - although to what percent I do not know. I have a tint session scheduled with the dealer on Friday for the front side windows, and they offer two levels - 20% and 35%. I chose to go with 35% as its within the legal limits of my state. But with 35% on the front side windows vs whatever is on the rear side windows from the factory - are they going to look very different? Will it look odd?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe the rear windows have 20% from the factory. When I tinted my windows I wanted 5% in the back for added privacy and I put 35% on the two front windows. I think it makes the truck look real good and I like the way it looks while I am driving as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the rear windows have 20% from the factory. When I tinted my windows I wanted 5% in the back for added privacy and I put 35% on the two front windows. I think it makes the truck look real good and I like the way it looks while I am driving as well.
Thank you much - sounds like based on your experience my truck will not look weird with 35% on the front sides and 20% on the rear sides.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My state is 35% on front windows also. But I had 20% put on them, it matches the side and back windows perfect on my 2019 crew cab. In most (obviously depends on cop) instances here as long as they can see your silhouette inside they will leave you alone, which you still can with 20%. Have always done 20% if needed all around tint and never a problem with cops.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
The % of tint on the back windows is printed on them in really tiny print, which is an oddball like 22%. I did 25%, only because my aging eyes have a hard time at night seeing thru them.
Here's the wifes truck right after I had it done.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
So on my new 2020 - the rear passenger windows are tinted (crew cab) - although to what percent I do not know. I have a tint session scheduled with the dealer on Friday for the front side windows, and they offer two levels - 20% and 35%. I chose to go with 35% as its within the legal limits of my state. But with 35% on the front side windows vs whatever is on the rear side windows from the factory - are they going to look very different? Will it look odd?
Foe peace of mind I went street legal in front. The back is slightly darker but in my opinion it looks great, not odd at all. You hardly notice a difference. In two plus years I’ve never had anyone make a negative comment about front windows lighter than back.

I keep the state compliant tint certificate from the vendor in the glove box. Do you really want to be stopped, get a ticket and be told you have to remove old and show proof you’re in compliance? Who wants that hassle?

My motto:
Don’t give LEO a reason to pull you over.

Gusto!

·
Registered
383 Posts
The rear windows on mine measured 18% when I checked it. I hate non matching tint, so I had my front windows tinted to match. It looks great, but is illegal in NC. I've never been pulled over for it, but getting my yearly vehicle inspection done has proven to be a bit more challenging. Not all states have a safety inspection, other states I lived in only had emissions inspections. We are lucky like that in NC.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Foe peace of mind I went street legal in front. The back is slightly darker but in my opinion it looks great, not odd at all. You hardly notice a difference. In two plus years I’ve never had anyone make a negative comment about front windows lighter than back.

I keep the state compliant tint certificate from the vendor in the glove box. Do you really want to be stopped, get a ticket and be told you have to remove old and show proof you’re in compliance? Who wants that hassle?

My motto:

Gusto!
I agree with that you are saying. However, I've been pulled over with my window tint, but never for my window tint. When I have been pulled over, I roll my window down, I'm polite and say yes sir, no sir and have license and registration ready and the interior lights on. I've never had an issue. Its amazing how many tickets you get out of that way btw...

·
Registered
525 Posts

My motto:

Gusto!
Here that certificate would mean nothing. If I were to get stopped for the tint the first thing the cop would say pop the window down a few inches and then he/she would put a tint meter on it. And I assume yas all know technically its how much tint is through the glass with a tint meter. For instance if you put legal tint on your window say its 35% in your state and if there is pretty dark tint on window from factory (some vehicles have darker front window factory tint then others) and meter registers darker than the 35% your illegal even though you put legal tint for your state on. I had a Dodge Dakota R/T that factory tint on front windows was so light even with our legal 35% here it hardly looked like they were tinted. I recently had a Ford Shelby GT 350 and with just putting legal tint of 35% on front windows they were practically blacked out. So it can vary a lot. But if you want to be safe as said and put on what is legal for your state and get stopped and explain to officer unless they put meter on and are a a**hole about it they will let you go. But regardless of certificate or doing legal tint the tint meter legally has the final say. And it measures the light through the glass which includes factory tint and added on window tint. And factory or person putting tint on are not responsible, you are.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here that certificate would mean nothing. If I were to get stopped for the tint the first thing the cop would say pop the window down a few inches and then he/she would put a tint meter on it. And I assume yas all know technically its how much tint is through the glass with a tint meter. For instance if you put legal tint on your window say its 35% in your state and if there is pretty dark tint on window from factory (some vehicles have darker front window factory tint then others) and meter registers darker than the 35% your illegal even though you put legal tint for your state on. I had a Dodge Dakota R/T that factory tint on front windows was so light even with our legal 35% here it hardly looked like they were tinted. I recently had a Ford Shelby GT 350 and with just putting legal tint of 35% on front windows they were practically blacked out. So it can vary a lot. But if you want to be safe as said and put on what is legal for your state and get stopped and explain to officer unless they put meter on and are a a**hole about it they will let you go. But regardless of certificate or doing legal tint the tint meter legally has the final say. And it measures the light through the glass which includes factory tint and added on window tint. And factory or person putting tint on are not responsible, you are.
I think the confusion might be how the tint from different manufacturers are labeled. I make sure I tell the person doing the tint how I want for it to measure. I think my front windows are actually a 25% tint, but it measures darker. I have 40% tint on my Nissan sedan so it measures 35% and passes. I had another car before that where I mistakenly told my tint guy to put 20% tint on it and the windows were super dark. I think it actually measured like 13%. A darker interior makes the tint look darker too and tint gets darker over time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rear is around 18% +/- 3% dyed from factory, I went with 15% up front on my 19 Crew Cab and on the fiancé's ride 19 Equinox and they match spot on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rear is around 18% +/- 3% dyed from factory, I went with 15% up front on my 19 Crew Cab and on the fiancé's ride 19 Equinox and they match spot on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i dont think it will really make a diffference....while it might stick out to you, no one else will really pay attention to it. I think the 20% will match better but if worried about tickets, then go with whats legal....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here's my truck with 35% in the front and factory in the back. This is the closest I have to a shot straight from the side.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Good thing I have 2 sons who are town cops. No one stops my truck to bitch about my tinting. Then again, I dont drive in any fashion that would cause someone to pull me over in the first place. :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
I actually got pulled over about 10 years ago for dark tint on my camaro. Mr police man told me to roll the window down part way and said "( i forgot) is good and whatever is above is bad". Well it failed. He told me my summons will only be $ if removed and verified by another officer. If not i would have to pay $$$. I went home and peeled it off.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I actually got pulled over about 10 years ago for dark tint on my camaro. Mr police man told me to roll the window down part way and said "( i forgot) is good and whatever is above is bad". Well it failed. He told me my summons will only be $ if removed and verified by another officer. If not i would have to pay $$$. I went home and peeled it off.
Here in my part of Kansas I've heard stories of state troopers that put a tint meter on window and it registered to dark giving the option of either tear a strip off each front window right there or get a ticket. Obviously if you tear a strip off your not gonna want to leave it looking that way. Whether stories are true I can't confirm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts