Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm creating this thread as a placeholder for now. I want to put all of the great tips, videos and equipment I've come across that may help other members be as safe and effective as possible when faced with a recovery situation. I'll organize it in the coming weeks but for now here are a couple of excellent videos on the subject. Please add your own so I can learn from what you know. :smile2:

Winching Basics - Ronny Dahl

Bow Shackles vs. Soft Shackles and Winching Math - Seek Adventure

How to Clean Your Winch - Barney 4wd

What Happens When Cables Snap - Ronny Dahl

Some Fun Recoveries by the boys at 4wd Action

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Placeholder for Recovery Straps

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Placeholder for Traction Boards and similar devices

Maxtrax vs. Knockoffs (X-Bull) and the many ways in which to use trqction boards
- Seek Adventure

Traction Boards Comparison in mud - Edge of Exploration

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All About Lockers....

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jacks

High Lift Jack vs. Bottle Jack vs. Exhaust Jack
- Ronny Dahl

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I go off roading occasionally to bail off the snow-way in a elephant seal jam. I won't be using a winch because there are no trees around. I just wouldn't use it. So all the rope and traction tips the better. My Ideal would be whatever can fit in a duffel bag so I can transfer my gear between vehicles.
I almost got stuck two days ago. I went into a soft ravine after switching into 4WD auto on the fly. I started digging in because I accidentally switched the headlight dial which also has "AUTO" on it. Im kinda miffed about that.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I crawled around under the truck checking for loose bolts anything that looked out of place. I helped recover a Bronco that was high centered in snow last weekend and when I gave him a low speed snatch with the static strap I heard a loud clank which I was pretty sure was just the hitch receiver and bow shackle. I just wanted to make 100% sure I didn't damage anything. I didn't. :)

If this little snatch didn't work I was prepared to swap out the static strap for the ARB kinetic strap. I'm glad we happened upon the poor folks when we did. They were going to be digging for awhile if we hadn't.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I crawled around under the truck checking for loose bolts anything that looked out of place. I helped recover a Bronco that was high centered in snow last weekend and when I gave him a low speed snatch with the static strap I heard a loud clank which I was pretty sure was just the hitch receiver and bow shackle. I just wanted to make 100% sure I didn't damage anything. I didn't. :)

If this little snatch didn't work I was prepared to swap out the static strap for the ARB kinetic strap. I'm glad we happened upon the poor folks when we did. They were going to be digging for awhile if we hadn't.

Thats awesome! The bronco should have been able to navigate around that rut.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thats awesome! The bronco should have been able to navigate around that rut.
The snow was super slick like ice and if you try to go around the mound you'll slide off the road. The quads all around us were having a hard time going around the Bronco. It was definitely a momentum thing. The Bronco got stuck because he slowed down to avoid hitting his dog. When I turned around to leave there was another mound I had to navigate. I did fine the first time because I had momentum but when I tried to cross again I had to go slower due to people on quads and yup, I got stuck (high centered). My buddy in the 4Runner tugged me free but I'm not showing any evidence of that. :p

Here's a better look of the scene. In winter I wouldn't even have flinched but something about the way snow melts and makes things trickier than expected. lol

20190721_084957.jpg

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great background info on synthetic rope and soft shackles.

How to repair broken synthetic rope while in the bush. Watch to the very end. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
F8LZ71
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing