Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't decide if I wanted a full bumper on my ZR2. I figured I would try and build a hidden winch mount behind the factory bumper. It looked like there was a lot of room as it turns out there isn't much to spare. I had a warn m8000 from my Canyon I wanted to stuff in there. Most of a Saturday gone and it is in and functional. I am very happy with how it turned out. I had to clearance some of the bumper cover mount brackets and move the air temperature sensor up just a little. I reinforced the bumper to frame mounts to ensure it stays put under a heavy pull.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Very nice integration, and finish look.
There's a lot of mad fab skillz running around here.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looks great!! I have the Westin winch mount on mine, because I can't fabricate anything lol!!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
This is the first mount I have seen that does not require cutting the bumper. Very nice work.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bravo! No cutting! Love the look. Is it bolted to the bumper brace support?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That looks good! Is the grill sandwiched between the hawse and the plate?

Do you have any kind of bracing or boxing to keep the horizontal surface from bending downward?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Looks like a piece of angle that goes between the crash bar and the frame ends, with a plate welded to the top of the angle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
415 Posts
Ah, I see. I didn't look closely enough before but it initially did not appear to extend to the bolts which gave me some concern.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is mounted to the Frame mounts that the crash bar mounts to also. I reinforced the mounting points for the pull forces. (I own a body shop that does heavy frame pulls, this winch even doubled up does not have enough pull the remove the mounts) The grill actually does not touch the fairlead. The grill/ bumper cover are trimmed around the fairlead. The body moved independent of the frame, so I did not want them tied together. I did not have room to brace it to keep it from moving vertically. I was a little worried about it at first, but the only place it can flex is the 2" behind the winch since the winch mounts with 4 bolts holding that section of the plate rigid. 95% of my winch use is snow related so I will rarely have a pull that is more than straight ahead. If I notice any flexing I will replace the crash bar with some rectangle stock and brace it.

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is mounted to the Frame mounts that the crash bar mounts to also. I reinforced the mounting points for the pull forces. (I own a body shop that does heavy frame pulls, this winch even doubled up does not have enough pull the remove the mounts) The grill actually does not touch the fairlead. The grill/ bumper cover are trimmed around the fairlead. The body moved independent of the frame, so I did not want them tied together. I did not have room to brace it to keep it from moving vertically. I was a little worried about it at first, but the only place it can flex is the 2" behind the winch since the winch mounts with 4 bolts holding that section of the plate rigid. 95% of my winch use is snow related so I will rarely have a pull that is more than straight ahead. If I notice any flexing I will replace the crash bar with some rectangle stock and brace it.
What's the plate stock thickness?

·
Registered
174 Posts
so did you weld the angle to the crash bar or did you bolt that behind the crash bar and then put the crash bar back over it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.