Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I'm not saying no Prius battery ever failed, I'm saying the doom that "they're all going to wear out in seven years" never happened.
I have a neighbor that has a very old Prius which is now driven by their daughter. It's seemingly held up well, but I would question whether it's really getting much hybrid action at this point in time. It would be interesting to know if they've tracked their MPG over time.

Stated differently, I would think the battery could have failed but that the car would still be drivable.

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,215 Posts
I'm not saying no Prius battery ever failed, I'm saying the doom that "they're all going to wear out in seven years" never happened.
I don't recall a doomsayer/magic number 7 claim, but statistically the average Prius driver going 15K per year will lose their NiMH battery at about 10-12yrs (between 150K-200K miles). So, for drivers that have long commutes, say 60-70 miles per day, 7yr battery life is entirely possible and does happen (which explains why the folks I know lost theirs right around the 150K mark).

The key is the installed infrastructure for the rapid charge at your basic Flying-J.
Maybe the key to making that infrastructure a reality is first finding a way to rapid charge without significantly degrading the battery...

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I thought Fast Lane Truck was being incredibly misleading with this article about using the new hybrid to power two RVs. The battery isn't big enough to even power 12 volt charging for a significant period of time (unless my math is wrong). But then I saw what Ford is claiming--using the truck as a mobile generator. You can use it as such for 32 hours with a full tank of gas. I can't imagine using a 3.5 liter engine as a mobile generator for RV use, but I guess technically you could. And with the optional 7.2kW output system you could power two RVs with A/C. And it is presumably quieter than a portable generator, probably even quieter than a 1000 watt Honda inverter.

Hopefully you don't have to leave the keys (or fob) in the ignition (or nearby) to have the truck act as a mobile generator. That's the downside to our truck's AT&T hotspot service--something that makes it nearly worthless.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Yet another FLT video. They are getting ridiculous with the commercials. Anyway, the Ford F-150 versus a Chevy V8 on the Ike Gauntlet. Both do really well up, but Ford not so well down. What's amazing to me though is the available payload on the Chevy is only about 200 pounds more than my Colorado! That's a lot more truck for very little more available payload. They also claim that the 9,200 pound trailer is maxing out the payload of the Ford. 9,200 is well below the max tow rating of that truck. Here's a link starting at the point of the Chevy weight sticker.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yet another FLT video. They are getting ridiculous with the commercials. Anyway, the Ford F-150 versus a Chevy V8 on the Ike Gauntlet. Both do really well up, but Ford not so well down. What's amazing to me though is the available payload on the Chevy is only about 200 pounds more than my Colorado! That's a lot more truck for very little more available payload. They also claim that the 9,200 pound trailer is maxing out the payload of the Ford. 9,200 is well below the max tow rating of that truck. Here's a link starting at the point of the Chevy weight sticker.
Payload vs Towing - not the same thing.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Payload vs Towing - not the same thing.
I assume you mean max towing. But yes, that's what I was trying to point out, that it was at max payload well before max towing (assuming FLT did their calculations right).

The problem I have with max towing is it's BS as to travel trailers. I even wonder if there's a single travel trailer/truck combination where the trailer weighs the max tow rating and doesn't exceed payload of the truck with only the driver in the truck.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts