Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come GM puts governers on their vehicals and others dont? Is it cause the goverment looks at them better? I did a search but couldnt finda thing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There is a stretch of road in west Texas that is 80, no joke! :lol:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dillusion said:
And is that higher than 98?
Nope didn't say it was? :?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can see cause most roads are not over 80 but still as far as I know GM is only one that has governer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
my ford explorer has a governor...kicks on at 100

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
The governor has to do with the speed rating of the stock tires that the vehicle is equipped with when new. Pretty much all newer vehicles have them, it's not just GM.

·
Registered
285 Posts
red12 said:
How come GM puts governers on their vehicals and others dont?
Yup ford has them but I dont know what speed the cut out at.

I also know that my mothers 03 tundra cuts out at 110mph.

Dillusion said:

And I believe the stock tires are not rated that high either.
Yeh Dillusion I'm not sure about the stock Generals but I know the Goodyear Eagles that came on my Xtreme are "W" rated and are good up to 168mph, But I am not sure how long you could hold that speed (the colorados will never be that fast). You can find a tire speed rating chart on the internet or your local tire shop should have a book full of all sorts of tire knowledge. The tires that are on my truck are WAY overrated.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
cubed colorado said:
BMW's used to be limited to 137mph not sure if they still are, haven't driven one for about ten years.
Most European sports cars are limited at 155 mph.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
brakenit said:
The governor has to do with the speed rating of the stock tires that the vehicle is equipped with when new. Pretty much all newer vehicles have them, it's not just GM.
x2

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
red12 said:
How come GM puts governers on their vehicals and others dont? Is it cause the goverment looks at them better? I did a search but couldnt finda thing.
As many others have said, it's because the stock tires that come on the vehicle, and most manufacturers do it. You get into sports cars and its much higher, but for trucks/SUVs, its lower because the tires aren't rated to high speeds, and if you're doing 130 for an extended period of time and blow a tire because they were only rated to 100, the manufacturers doesn't want to get sued for it.

My buddy's Dakota has one as well, although I don't remember what its set at.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
The speed governor is a a government mandate or something isn't it? I think that's what it's called, can't remember if thats the correct terminology right now and I don't care to look it up. :lol:

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
Flywheel said:
Dillusion said:

And I believe the stock tires are not rated that high either.
Yeh Dillusion I'm not sure about the stock Generals but I know the Goodyear Eagles that came on my Xtreme are "W" rated and are good up to 168mph, But I am not sure how long you could hold that speed (the colorados will never be that fast). You can find a tire speed rating chart on the internet or your local tire shop should have a book full of all sorts of tire knowledge. The tires that are on my truck are WAY overrated.
I think it was the Generals that were rated low. And I'm sure they wouldn't make different tunes for each type of truck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
red12 said:
My friends f150 topped out at 100 i dont think it is just GM

·
Registered
593 Posts
My old Explorer was at 110mph, the wifes 08' Escape is 105mph, My 05' Colly doesnt have one...... ha ha

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
red12 said:
I can see cause most roads are not over 80 but still as far as I know GM is only one that has governer.
I have been in a Durango that shut off at around 100, and I mean shut off too lol. My friend was driving and when it hit that speed the stupid POS actually shut off, bye bye power brakes and steering lol. I had to tell him to put it in nuetral and crank it up again.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts