Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the morning if it's really cold I sometimes let my truck run for four or five minutes while I finish getting everything together to leave for work.

I have to get onto I-93 within a 1/4-mile and I don't want to accelerate hard to merge if the engine isn't warmed up.

My power lock remote works pretty well normally and has decent range, but when the truck is running I can stand with the remote next to the window-glass and press the button 5 or 6 times before it'll unlock the door, and sometimes it won't work at all. Other times it works perfectly with the truck running.

Why? Ignition-system interference perhaps?

Where is the reciever located? Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Mine does it sometimes when its really warm, I dont know how to explain it. But sometimes you have to be right up on the truck (And this is with the truck off) Other times I can be Far away, and the horn will honk...

I need to install my viper remote start.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Stick it under your chin and push the button next time.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What? Are you telling me where I can stick my remote?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
rangerbob said:
Stick it under your chin and push the button next time.
It works good I have tried it a few times.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yeah i heard something about that one time... i heard it acts as some sort of antenna or something? lol anything to make it work for you

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the truck isn't running, the remote works to a range of about 50 feet. Why would I need to hold it any particular way when the engine is running?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Ever heard of RFI? Radio Frequency Interference?

Lots of electronics operating when the truck is running that are not when it's off. Might be the cause. *shrug*

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rangerbob said:
Ever heard of RFI? Radio Frequency Interference?

Lots of electronics operating when the truck is running that are not when it's off. Might be the cause. *shrug*
ha-ha, Bob you're the best!
Yeah, I've heard of it, and I suspect that is the cause.

I can try a thing or two to minimize any engine/ignition-caused interference if I can just find the antenna and reciever.

So. do you know where the reciever is located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Speaking of remote problems and odd events, I had something weird happen to me one night when leaving work. I had installed some accessories to the battery terminal temporarily. I worked a 8hr shift one night, it was as cold as Jack Frost's testicles out(-0) and my remote wasn't working.

Later I found out my terminal clamp worked loose and I had limited/no power due to limited contact. When I hit my unlock button, it was turning on the headlights of the Ford Freestyle that was parked next to me.

It wasn't very bright, started out very dim and got brighter and brighter.... but never got near fully lit. i never did figure out why it did it.... must have been one of those weird things that happen to ya!

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
It's a little wire coming off of the BCM down in the passenger footwell ( outside wall ). Someone here was able to extend the wire and get better reception but it's my opinion that he was damned lucky and managed to extend the wire such a length that the antenna frequency range was still within that of the keyfob.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mr. Ranger!

I'm not too sure what to try, maybe I'll think of something...
Couldn't hurt to ensure that the ground connection is good at the reciever, maybe insert an EMI filter in the power-line to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts