Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my new toy is a '22 Canyon V6, I'm new to this forum and enjoying learning about the truck. I was considering a CAI, but almost everyone (e.g. this post and others) say it doesn't do anything other than add noise. But then I noticed aFe posted the dyno chart below showing ~8hp and ~8lb-ft gains on an otherwise un-modded 2nd gen Colorado.

I realize another CAI thread can be like a "which synthetic oil is best" thread, but I'm genuinely curious why almost everyone says our stock intake is best, given actual dyno results to the contrary.

·
Registered
348 Posts
because most believe there's enough volume that flows through the stock intake and that manufactures can post whatever they want, no one actually dynos their engines after they get a intake.

the way i see it is there may be enough flow but there are pumping losses through the stock airbox, mainly the filter box, but i took my K&N intake off due to the annoying drone it made. it was a deep aggressive sound, but it sounded like a loud annoying wookie and i hated it every time i lightly touched the throttle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
because most believe there's enough volume that flows through the stock intake and that manufactures can post whatever they want, no one actually dynos their engines after they get a intake.

the way i see it is there may be enough flow but there are pumping losses through the stock airbox, mainly the filter box, but i took my K&N intake off due to the annoying drone it made. it was a deep aggressive sound, but it sounded like a loud annoying wookie and i hated it every time i lightly touched the throttle
Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
4,111 Posts
The stock air intake is a CAI. It draws in air from outside of the engine compartment.

People have asked, "then why does GM offer a CAI upgrade for these trucks?" The answer = $$$. GM would offer square wheels and tires if they thought they could make money from selling them.
It isn't marketed as an upgrade because of where it pulls the air from. It's marketed as an upgrade because the air filter is bigger (therefore less restrictive) and the airbox has "performance" asthetics...like you can see it through the window lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stock air intake is a CAI. It draws in air from outside of the engine compartment.

People have asked, "then why does GM offer a CAI upgrade for these trucks?" The answer = $$$. GM would offer square wheels and tires if they thought they could make money from selling them.
OK, I'll refer to it as an aftermarket CAI to differentiate it from the OE CAI. Either way, the dyno chart I posted shows non-negligible gains, so it offers more than noise and a placebo effect.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
OEM air box flows 543cfm on the bench. More than is needed for the 220cuin engine.
8HP on dyno can be from many variables, DA, PA, AT, engine oil temp, trans temp.
After market CAI has a larger filter and may help throttle response without changing HP or TQ.
I have the CAI intake with a AEV snorkel and prefilter (485fcm), I get clean cool air that does improve performance a few HP. The air filter is still spotless after 2 years. I don't notice much intake noise at all. I have much better throttle response but it may all be the ported TB. I think partly cai, mostly ported TB.

Reactions: Tom S.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Here is the deal. Most cars today have learn feature built into the computer. These system adjust the engine back to the original settings if something changes slightly to keep the emissions in check.

Most cases adding a Cold Air will increase power a few HP till the adjustment sets in after driving a bit. Same applies to cat back exhaust.

To realize the gains often a tuner is needed to turn off the learning feature that makes the adjustment. Then you will retain the changes that were made.

My HHR SS had a GM tune that to keep the added boost power or if I added a CAI had the Learn feature disabled. This way when the added boost added 60 HP it did not disable it back to the original HP and fuel settings.

The other case is CAI do add power and it depends on how bad the factory intake to start as to how much is gained. There was a Grand Prix that had such a restricted intake it gained almost 20 HP. But most intakes are not that bad so 6-8HP is normal. To be honest that is not much and often it is not even noticed.

These systems were much better before the learn feature. I had one on a Sonoma where it really did not feel like much power but I did pick up one MPG.

Note too these intakes are made to combat intake noise. Not ever one like the roar and come complain once they are installed. The baffles on some are better than others as to noise and flow.

This is one of those deals where you have to kind of understand the way things work today and it makes sense. These system do increase things but to a limited degree and often for a limited time.

I deal with most of these systems and can buy them at cost. I skipped it on my truck as I am running the stock program and it would not really change things unless I get a programmer too. It is just my daily driver so I am leaving this alone. I am spending the money on my weekend play car.

Unless you add 25-30 HP or more you really are not gaining much. This is why the boosted engines like Turbos are prime to modify. The new Colorado with a tune should prove interesting. 60 HP should be an easy flash away.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This isn’t just with Colorado’s. From Vette to Honda guys and even with 2 wheeled toys these arguments exist. Wouldn’t stress if the internet doesn’t think it’s worth it as it’s your money and opinion that matters at the end of the day.

people get heated because the 2% addition of power from dyno comparisons could be due to 100 different factors and since they cost money people jump on the bandwagon of trying to justify not spending anything

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Always consider dyno charts from a company trying to sell something as suspect, they will do anything they can to show/claim an improvement. Reality rarely matches. Save your money.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
But but this old fart likes the deeper sound of my GM cold air intake and Borla catback exhaust. 😊

·
Registered
79 Posts
Another fun fact; Dyno testing is done at WFO (kind of like towing a trailer up hill), How often do you drive WFO? Installed a K&N kit on my 2015, noticeable improvement In throttle response. Went back to stock after the first time towing my trailer, could not handle the noise.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Always consider dyno charts from a company trying to sell something as suspect, they will do anything they can to show/claim an improvement. Reality rarely matches. Save your money.
Most dyno results from the better established companies are accurate. Like KNN they are pretty spot on but if you look they are not big numbers either.

It used to be to make power it was intake, Carb, Headers and cam to make power. Today with emissions that is not as cheap or easy anymore. Everyone today wants bolt on performance in a box.

But that really means a good set of heads and a supercharger or Turbo system.

The government does watch this and companies like KNN are pretty much honest on these numbers and they will even not list applications of any model they have not tested the vehicle for power or fit.

Some companies like Split Fire plugs claimed power increases but that was all bunk. Electric follows the path of lease resistance and the plugs never added a thing. They got busted for it and were made to list no increases and pretty much vanished from the market. Slick 50 was the same deal and got caught. They said it was used on the space shuttle but for what to lube the door? It slimed many engines and added nothing in durability. The Teflon did not bond with anything as they claimed.

But be wary some items like Carbon Fiber Brakes and Ceramic polish can claim to contain these materials but there is no regulation as too how much it may have. In many cases if it is cheap they put enough in to claim it but not enough to really make a difference.

General rule if it is cheap and offers more power or durability and is not used by the factory odds are good it is suspect.

We had years of magnets that added MPG and that 100 MPG carb that the oil companies bought up to prevent from being on the market.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
2,597 Posts
The misconception is that you pay all this money to get a CAI, but realistically you wouldn't be able to tell that you gained that 8hp. 8hp on top of 306hp in a 4500+lbs truck is nothing. And those gains are at WOT (wide open throttle), not part throttle where we live basically 100% of the time. A hot day or change in altitude will affect your power more.

So, for your money, you are basically only getting sound, since you wouldn't recognize 8hp if it slapped you in the face. If you want a real bang for buck that you can actually feel, get a Trifecta Tune.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The misconception is that you pay all this money to get a CAI, but realistically you wouldn't be able to tell that you gained that 8hp. 8hp on top of 306hp in a 4500+lbs truck is nothing. And those gains are at WOT (wide open throttle), not part throttle where we live basically 100% of the time. A hot day or change in altitude will affect your power more.

So, for your money, you are basically only getting sound, since you wouldn't recognize 8hp if it slapped you in the face. If you want a real bang for buck that you can actually feel, get a Trifecta Tune.
you can even say with a trifecta tune there isn't much either, the only time you really notice it is low down because of the additional torque you gain, but even then its still not a huge bump since the trans are tuned to compensate for the lack of low end and always want to put you in a lower gear

1 - 20 of 73 Posts